Cry0smate is offline Member

Tris and Front Delts

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem gaining mass in my tris and getting my front delts to come out more. As stated in my profile, I haven't been lifting that long however I'm looking a little out of porportion. I have genetically large pecs, my rear and side delts are coming in nicely; but i'm only getting one head of my tris to pop out and my front delts look like crap.

Any advice for good training techniques to further work these areas?? It's a bit frustrating to have this chest, pretty good traps, partially decent delts, but these friggin wrist width arms.

For tris all I've been doing so far is straight angle dips, skull crushers, cable pressdowns, dumbbell kickbacks, and french presses.

For my front delts I try to always incorporate front raises both dumbbell and/or barbell raises into my shoulder routine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    You need movements that supinate the wrist while lifting. Do tri set on the cable machine of pull downs. Do set with palms facing up, then palms facing down, then angled. I used to do that when I was in high school right after wrestling season. I got the horse shoe quick, because I was lean from all that starvation and running. Then after a few weeks of that, finish it off with rope push downs. Just start with the palms facing each other. Finish with your palms facing the floor and away from each other.
    Front delts? Try to super set front db raises after up right rows. Arnolds encyclopedia of modern body building says to try some power lifting for up right rows. Heavy up right rows. 8-6-4 sets. You can get a lil' explosive help from your calves on the way up. Be careful that your not sloppy or you could hurt yourself.

Thanks man I will give it a shot and change things up a bit

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    So you wish to gain tri mass? I see all the great exercises mentioned but one! Close grip benching with heavy poundages. Most people do these wrong. Hand placement is paramount. It tickles me like the other day I was working out and theres a nice guy there seems to do more talking then anything. I sometimes hear him comment about this and that. Well he was a good example of how NOT to do them. His hands were no more the one hand width apart. Thats not going to pose too much of a problem if he lifts very light weight.lol But look at the elbows, they are pointed out. Bad news if going heavy and thats when tris build. Bottom line is keep hand placement approx. lineup with you armpits .

thanks alot man

Really? I all ways thought it was just like hands together and then both thumbs extended and touching, then elbows out. Guess I was wrong. Makes my tri's sore though. I'll try your way for a while and see how it goes... or grows should I say. LOL
    Reverse grip bench presses, incline to decline. It's all good.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Wrong 63190. Never have thumbs touching way to close. Here is a analogy: Think of your hand placement when performing triceps push downs, overhead extentions, french presses(skull crushers) . Look at your hand placement, are any of theses exercises have your hands touching? When performing pushdowns you should have your elbow to shoulder mostly stable not much swinging/movement. (following strict form)My point is most tri exercises they are simular in certain aspects just hitting the 3 heads at different angles. Just try your way hands touching look at your elbows, then try about 2 grips apart. Where are those elbows? See the difference? Less stress on elbow more on the long head

Ah, so I see. I feel smarter already. Mental pump, as it were. I'll try it tomorrow on arms day.

Good information here I'm looking forward now to bi/tri day!! I've heard of the close grip bp but for some reason had not incorporated it. This is great, I love adding new exercises and changing up my workouts anyway.

Yeah^_^
    I heard that you really ought to change it up every 12-14 weeks or your body will get lazy and stop growing/loosing weight, what ever your training for.

dogsofwar is offline Member
    Front delts: kettle raises (slow!), military press. These are the two best bulkers for the front head. Good luck ~dow

Tight thanks again!

doby48 is offline Female Member
    The exercise that really gets my tris is Single Arm Dumbbell Extensions. For the anterior deltoid, Dumbbell Front Raise & my favorite... the Dumbbell Military press.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    For tris - Close-grip is monumental.., and I really like the 'tooth-look' rope-pressdowns give me...

For the front delts try this: I stole it from a website to better explain it: (abcbodybuilding)...

"Incline Bench Front Deltoid Raises
    This exercise is by far my favorite way to isolate the front deltoids! The isolation that the bench provides on your anterior deltoid is comparable to that of a preacher curl when working the biceps. This takes the back and legs out of it, and also discourages your ability to cheat using momentum.

Implementation: (A) Set a bench to a 45 degree angle and grab a pair of dumbbells. (B) You will essentially position yourself the exact opposite of the way you would on a incline bench press. Which simply means that you should lie face down, with your head however just above the bench. Your feet should support you and stay steady throughout the movement. (C) Allow the weights to hang naturally, and make sure that your palms are facing each other. (D) Raise the weight up, keeping your arms strait. This should create an arcing motion just as with normal front raises. Now lower the weight slowly to the starting position. This is a repetition. "

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    I would suggest checking out the west-side program. Some of their assistance exercises for Triceps are phenominal.

Thanks alot again everyone!! This is why I'm starting to love this website, Great people, Great help!!

One suggestoin: doby--- PLEASE change your SMG Avatar.. I'm tired of drooling on my keyboard like a high school aged imbecile.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    For tris - Close-grip is monumental.., and I really like the 'tooth-look' rope-pressdowns give me...

For the front delts try this: I stole it from a website to better explain it: (abcbodybuilding)...

"Incline Bench Front Deltoid Raises
    This exercise is by far my favorite way to isolate the front deltoids! The isolation that the bench provides on your anterior deltoid is comparable to that of a preacher curl when working the biceps. This takes the back and legs out of it, and also discourages your ability to cheat using momentum.

Implementation: (A) Set a bench to a 45 degree angle and grab a pair of dumbbells. (B) You will essentially position yourself the exact opposite of the way you would on a incline bench press. Which simply means that you should lie face down, with your head however just above the bench. Your feet should support you and stay steady throughout the movement. (C) Allow the weights to hang naturally, and make sure that your palms are facing each other. (D) Raise the weight up, keeping your arms strait. This should create an arcing motion just as with normal front raises. Now lower the weight slowly to the starting position. This is a repetition. "
    I've seen people doing that. I wonderd how effective it was. Now I'm gonna have to try it.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwacity
    One suggestoin: doby--- PLEASE change your SMG Avatar.. I'm tired of drooling on my keyboard like a high school aged imbecile.
    i kinda like it though!
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    you need to stay away from doing anything fancy.. .Do heavy compound movements... Weighted dips.. Close grip bench press..JM press... Heavy overhead Dumbbell extensions...etc.. And don't over train... Combine Tri's with Chest day.. or give them a few days to recover before doing them alone. Stick with the 6-10 rep range..give it a few months and you'll be asking how to make your bi's look bigger because your tri's are over shadowing them

Hmm... not me. I hit chest and back an the same day, shoulders and arms the next, Legs the next day, and then start over. Every thing twice a week.
    Then again, that's just me. I've been lifting for a couple of years now and that once a week don't work for me any more.

Chest and Back on the same day lasted once for me. Too much if you ask me.

It kinda pisses me off that I can't seem to get as good a pump in the chest if I super set chest and back as if I do db flies in between sets of bench, and later go back.

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    It kinda pisses me off that I can't seem to get as good a pump in the chest if I super set chest and back as if I do db flies in between sets of bench, and later go back.
    Still man I tried that and just can't do both of them in the same day iono how you do it. But hey whatever works!!

I'm pumped about tomorrow as I'm hittin my Tris tomorrow, can't wait to try some of this new stuff!!

I think it's because my shoulders and tri's do most of the work on bench. What I've been doing lately is
    Incline pec deck 12, 10, 8
    reg pec deck 12,10, 8
    Incline press db or bb 12, 10, 8
    Reg press db or bb 12, 10, 8
    then dips leaning forward for lower chest body weight, +25, +35
    Pull downs 12, 10, 8
    Machine bent over row 12, 10, 8
    Today to switch it up I went
    Incline press super set w/ incline flies 12, 10, 8
    reg bench super set w/ bench flies 12, 10, 4
    DB decline bench super set with decline flies 12, 10, 8
    Bent over machine rows 12, 10, 8
    over head pulley narrow grip pull down 12, 10, 8

Tri workout today was Kick ASS, thanks everyone for the help!!!

63190- **** man that's one hell of a workout!! I'd fall over!

1-2 minutes rest in between sets is best for bulking/strength. I'm at the gym for about two hours typically. I'm what weak people call a "gym rat". I owe my stamina to wrestling in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    1-2 minutes rest in between sets is best for bulking/strength.
    I definately agree with ya there

I'm at the gym for about two hours typically. I'm what weak people call a "gym rat". I owe my stamina to wrestling in high school.
    I just usually try to keep my workouts in the 45 min range otherwise I start losing strength. That's just me though!

Hmm... strength? Well, I'm not power lifting, so I never even thought about strength. I guess if your lifting for that purpose, you'd want a shorter work out.
    I'm body building and I look for 15-20 sets per body part. My goal in a work out is to hit my muscle groups from a lot of different angles to totally develop that muscle. Not to train for max strength. I'm not getting close to 1rep max. I use 70% of my 1 rep max for training.
    Last edited by 63190; 08-02-2004 at 01:01 AM.

You are confusin me a lil bro!

Maybe I should have used the word stamina. I used strength b/c you stated it also and more strength is good for better gains IMHO. If I did what you did (chest and back on the same day), I'd lose serious stamina and my workout would not go as well as the time progressed. That's why I personally prefer one body party/ day for the most part. But like I said before whatever works for you, all of us are different.

wired-up is offline Member
    great info here. my ant. delts and tris could definitely use some definition, but then again, so could everything else on me. i'm going to implement some of these tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwacity
    You are confusin me a lil bro!

Maybe I should have used the word stamina. I used strength b/c you stated it also and more strength is good for better gains IMHO. If I did what you did (chest and back on the same day), I'd lose serious stamina and my workout would not go as well as the time progressed. That's why I personally prefer one body party/ day for the most part. But like I said before whatever works for you, all of us are different.
    You mean stamina to concentrate and get a good pump on every set? Did you want to go all heavy every set? Now I'm confuzed.
    I was talking about the difference between power lifting and body building.
    Power lifters lift for very short duration at the gym. If you want to body build, you have to increase your stamina for staying at the gym. You can do it. Mind over matter. I have excersise induced asthma. But the harder I train, the longer I can eventually go. I just train to muscle failure, or the brink of an asthma attack. You gotta keep pushing the envolope and it gets larger.
    Last edited by 63190; 08-02-2004 at 01:04 AM.

dogsofwar is offline Member
    Atwacity (original poster) one of the best things to do if you work out in a gym, is to have one of the fitness staff (that is a bodybuilder of course), to constructively criticise your proportions. Sometimes, they will come up with a plan for you as part of your membership. I began working out in a small gym run by an ex-bodybuilder which took me through an entire program (criticising proportions, showing proper tecniques, etc). I thank him till this day. That was worth the $250 bucks my dad paid when I was about 14...eesh..20 years ago! ~dow

rev911apollyon is offline Junior Member
    bluethunder gots it right. My triceps used to be one of my worse parts, busted my ass and started doing close grip bench, use some heavy poundages. Now my tri's are my best part

Quote Originally Posted by dogsofwar
    Atwacity (original poster) one of the best things to do if you work out in a gym, is to have one of the fitness staff (that is a bodybuilder of course), to constructively criticise your proportions. Sometimes, they will come up with a plan for you as part of your membership. I began working out in a small gym run by an ex-bodybuilder which took me through an entire program (criticising proportions, showing proper tecniques, etc). I thank him till this day. That was worth the $250 bucks my dad paid when I was about 14...eesh..20 years ago! ~dow
    Thanks alot man. Great sound advice One of my problems is that I have a slightly indented sternum which combined with a family that has larger pecs it just makes my chest area look huge in comparsion to the arms! I've incorporated some of the items listed above in the post and will just continue to bust my ass! I might need to look into you suggestion just for some additional tips as well.

Thread Information