xenithon is offline Member

Help diagnose an injury

Hi All,

Firstly - I have an appointment on Thursday (couldn't get one earlier) to a sports doctor, but wanted to go in prepared with any info I can get here.

I have a problem with my right shoulder. The only way I can describe it is that it doesn't feel like the muscles or tendons, but feels like the bone itself! I am not sure what the area is called (is it the AC joint?) but it is about where the collar bone meets the arm bone. The pain is mostly at the right-most edge of the collar bone. It hurts mainly when there is downward pressure, ie. bench press (almost all chest exercises actually), shoulder press, tricep skullcrusher etc. as well as exercises which stretch the joint, such as incline bicep dumbbells.

I must be honest, I have had a slight pain there for over months now and simply laid off those exercises causing excessive pain, hoping it would heal. A few days ago was the final straw, when I was doing light chest exercises (which never caused major porblems before) and it caused major pain! Any ideas as to what it could be? It does not feel dislocated, and does not feel like impingement syndrome. Actually I have impingment syndrome in my left shoulder (haven't decided yet about having the keyhole surgery to remove the scar tissue). Is it possible that this caused the right shoulder to overcompensate and cause this injury?

Any input welcome,
    Cheers,
    X

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    have you ever had a injury to your shoulder before? From what you described it could be that your cartilage has worn away causing your bones to rub together. Do you feel a "scraping" feeling? Does it hurt when you extend your arm over head?

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Don't laugh, but do you sleep on that shoulder bro?
    I get the same pain when I sleep on my shoulder, after all, it's awkward as fugg... and it's a lot of weight on that joint...
    Also, do you have a history in sports? Pitcher?
    I pitched, and that causes some discomfort now in those areas. Keep me posted, I'm interested in hearing what it is.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I say tendonitus, anyone want to put 50 bucks on it?

barring an injury i agree with 1victor

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Its hard to say. I had a problem 4 yrs ago. Turned out to be my shoulder socket ball. Came out would hurt raising arms above parralle or overhead presses. Could be tendons/inflamation but my guess is rotator cuff. It connects the upper arm to the shoulder blade. It's usually slow/progressive pain. Let us know good luck

you have no pain anywhere else? you could have simply fractured your collarbone, it's hard to do but ive seen it happen to people. also to check your shoulder(my doctor always told me to do this) raise whichever arm hurts u straight in front of you to shoulder level, turn it thumbs up and try to bring it down slowly, if you cant control it you might have a rotator cuff problem. also bring your arm behind you to your lower back so that both are touchin and try to move your arm slightly off the back, if you can't do that you either have absolutely no flexibility or some things arent attached anymore. thats the best help i can give you from a man with years of shoulder problems.

No real pain when lifting the arms. That I get in my left shoulder where I have slight impingement syndrome. The right shoulder it feels like the actual bone, that is why I think it may be more a stress fracture or something similar in the bone, rather than tendon/muscle condition. Will keep you posted as what the doc says

might need to get that scoped depending on if ya got scar tissue and if rehab doesnt work

Don't think its that biglouie. I have scar tissue in the left shoulder, and 2 surgeons said it needs keyhole surgery to remove (ie. rehab won't help the scar tissue). This feels more like bone. When I move in certain directions it does feel and sound like something scraping actually

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    calcuim deposits...

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Rotator cuff... If you stand up straight, raise ur arms so that they are in a bench press position (90 degree angle at the elbow) and rotate ur forarms downward and upward so that you make a "u" when up and "n" when down, do you feel pain? Make sure to keep palms facing forward when up and facing backwards when down...

hi there,

I do feel a pain. But as before, when I do that in my left shoulder (impingement) I feel a touch of pain in the muscles and tendons themselves. When I do it in the right shoulder though, I feel a scraping feeling, sometimes a clickinging noise, and the pain is in the bone itself.

hey tribex - doing it more and more i actually don't have much pain when doing that 'u' 'n' motion (the pain before was residual pain from before). Rather I feel more anf more that scraping and clicking feeling

Thread Information