View Poll Results: upright rows vs. side laterals for medial delt width and mass?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • upright rows

8 27.59%
  • side laterals

21 72.41%

Thread: shoulder width

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

shoulder width

upright rows vs. side laterals for medial delt width and mass?

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i think side lats if going heavy with good form

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I'm with Rizz.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Lateral Raises

i think upright rows build front shoulder and traps

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    side laterals mostly

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Side laterals... But shoulder presses will help you more than both.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    i think upright rows build front shoulder and traps
    Upright rows build mass on the front and rear delts, they arent a trap exercise, the traps are just an "helping" muscle. If you use a wide grip they take more on your middle delts but nothing beats side laterals.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Try supersetting side laterals with wide grip upright rows...

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by buff87
    Try supersetting side laterals with wide grip upright rows...
    Yep... blow up!

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    heavy side laterals,but wide grip upright rows will tend to work the side delts more so i would do both. If you bring the bar past chin high you then incorperate the traps same as with laterals if you bring the dumbell up above shoulder height you bring the traps into play.

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa

Shoulder press will not kick in the lateral deltoid enough. Fibers in the anterior delt run vertical (Straight up and down, therefor they're load line can be from a dumbell). Medial Delt fibers run on a diagnal, so they have to be trained with with a cable come from opposite side (left side if ur trainin the right arm) infront of you to be most effective. If your doin a shoulder press and you feel ur medial delt burning, its simply a neurological sensation...

Tribex, are you suggesting cables instead of dumbell laterals and upright rows?

flexin-rph is offline Member
    Which do you prefer? Seated side laterals, or standing starting w/ the dumbbell in
    front of you?

nsa
    You can do side laterals with cables.

You can do side laterals with cables.
    yes i know that but i wanted to know if tribex is saying that cables will build em up the most! And if that's what he is saying i would definately disagree!

personally i like them seated because im all about form in my training now! But i use em both!

BigErn is offline Junior Member
    Bump Tribex's post. If your going to do side laterals, do em on the cable racks. Think about it. If your muscle runs diagonally (because we know the fibers do not run peferectly parallel to the ground) then it would make sense that the most effective way to work the muscle would be within the proper load line of it. That being said, strict lateral raises with cables would theoretically yield better mass results than those done with dumbells (although still proven effective). I dont see how theres any arguing this. I wont disagree that dumbell lateral raises are an excellent exercise, but the entire theory behind hypertrophy is that a muscle must be worked under tension, within its proper loadline. Therefore, utilizing cables for lateral raises would be the more obvious exercise to perform.

BigErn is offline Junior Member
    ...And speaking of form, lateral cable raises wouldnt be performed standing straight up, you'd have to necessarily bend minutely at your hips....well everybody has their own way of doing things, but in all honesty, I've found this to be much more effective

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigErn
    ...And speaking of form, lateral cable raises wouldnt be performed standing straight up, you'd have to necessarily bend minutely at your hips....well everybody has their own way of doing things, but in all honesty, I've found this to be much more effective
    So, you have to bend forward slightly (5-10 degrees) and do them chris cross on a cable rack, in theory? I never even thought about which way the fibers ran. This could be a break throu for me I think I'll super set that with dumbell laterals, or even tri-set that with up right rows.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigErn
    Bump Tribex's post. If your going to do side laterals, do em on the cable racks. Think about it. If your muscle runs diagonally (because we know the fibers do not run peferectly parallel to the ground) then it would make sense that the most effective way to work the muscle would be within the proper load line of it. That being said, strict lateral raises with cables would theoretically yield better mass results than those done with dumbells (although still proven effective). I dont see how theres any arguing this. I wont disagree that dumbell lateral raises are an excellent exercise, but the entire theory behind hypertrophy is that a muscle must be worked under tension, within its proper loadline. Therefore, utilizing cables for lateral raises would be the more obvious exercise to perform.
    I like to do both acctualy, 4-6 sets db side laterals and then 4-6 sets side laterals in cable, crazy burn!!! This is why my shoulders are my best bodypart. The contact i get is insane.

LM1332 Guest
    military press will do you wonders. SHoulder width comes from both front and side heads of the shoulder grid

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    upright rows vs. side laterals for medial delt width and mass?
    Upright rows tore up my rotator cuff. I hate them!

in my opinion, saying that cables will yield more muscle mass is like saying pushdowns for tri's will produce more mass than skull crushers! the only difference is that cables have a constant tension and even still i believe db side laterals are a much more intense exercise for the medial delts!

but upright rows definately work well

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    im with nsa...where is the other category

nsa
    Bottom line is you have to switch up your exercises to keep your body growing. So switch up your exercises and use the ones that people think are the best for that particular muscle group. Unless you find something else that works very well for you, then rotate with that.

i dunno bro presses involve the anterior delt too much! Look at how the fibers run in the anterior delt, but then look at how the fibers run in tthe medial delt and then examine the exercise, they have no relation! the best way to hit a muscle group is to perform exercises in the same relation that the human body is designed to move that specific muscle group! just my 2 cents!

nsa
    Ok, im going to go with personal experience over the direction that a given muscle groups muscle fibers are arranged. I know from experience that heavy military presses increase your shoulder width.

if you do too much pressing you'll end up with unproportioned shoulders! i know this from experience because i used to do alot of pressing and my anterior delts grew pretty quick but my medial and posterior were lagging! think about how hard you're already hitting your anteriors from chest! i know guys that dont even do any pressing for shoulders and never have but still have huge shoulders! in my opinioin military presses are over rated!

decadbal is offline Banned
    i never do upright rows.... just lat raises

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    if you do too much pressing you'll end up with unproportioned shoulders! i know this from experience because i used to do alot of pressing and my anterior delts grew pretty quick but my medial and posterior were lagging! think about how hard you're already hitting your anteriors from chest! i know guys that dont even do any pressing for shoulders and never have but still have huge shoulders! in my opinioin military presses are over rated!
    my posterior delts get mostly worked on back days as the pulling action works them. anterior on chest days per the pushing action. medial i train on chest days bc i split chest/tri/shoulders. any type of vertical shoulder press is going to work your medials too...

Thread Information