cokdiesl is offline Junior Member

it hurts to bench..help

holy crapp i just got back from my chest wor-out which was cut about 45 mins short b/c of pain in my elbows?? i d k whats wrong w/ me but it hurts like hell all of the sudden anyboby have this problem? the guy that was spotting me told me it's b/c my bench went up too fast (started out doing 135 for 6, 2 years ago, now i do 315 for 6) but i've done this weight before and had no problems he told me to do deca b/c it's good for the joints? i've havent done any steroids YET but if it makes the pain go away maybe it's not a bad idea..any other suggestions would definately be helpful...i did aboust 6 warm up sets first

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Your joints havnet grown strong enough to support your muscles' strength.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Try glucosamine, it helps sooth joint pain. Deca hydrates joints but your going to have to run test with that as well. But your still going to have the problem after your done with the cycle. So i would say go with glucosamine, its takes about the same time as deca to kick in.

yeah i actually want to stay "clean" til i stop seeing gains ...i take glutamine and i thought that would help but i'm willing to do anything i'm pissed about how that wor-out turned out..i was psyched about it all day

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    sounds like epicondylitis .... aka.. "tennis elbow"

nsa
    Glucosamine is not going to make you unnatural.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Go see an orthopeadist or how every you spell it. I have tennis elbow and it sucks a$$. I do therapy for it using a hammer. Start with the head of the hammer close to your thumb. Put your arm on the edge of an arm rest and then move it from side to start position for a few reps, then to the other side for a few reps. Then tilt it down for few reps. Move the head of the hammer out in your grip to increase the load.

thanx...i hope this **** goes away quick i was finally starting to feel good about where i was at...i probably brought this on myself by pushing it too fast...i'll try that hammer stuff tho..thanx

houseofpain is offline Banned
    glucosamine sounds like the right idea to me.

nsa
    Yup, glucosamine is your best bet. But i would start ASAP because glucosamine takes a few weeks to kick in, but once it kicks in it feels great on your joints, even go really heavy.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    Your joints havnet grown strong enough to support your muscles' strength.
    untrue, your body wont get that strong that fast that your tendons and joints cant keep up... its prolly tennis elbow as mentioned or maybe you just had some unusual angle in the lift, either way rest and take the supps mentioned, the work wonders.. and if u want take deca ..itll cure any of that..lol

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm willing to bet that it's your form that's ailing you. Since i've brought my elbows closer to my body at the bottom of the movement, all pain has disappeared.
    Last edited by chrisAdams; 07-29-2004 at 09:07 AM.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    untrue, your body wont get that strong that fast that your tendons and joints cant keep up...
    Actually, it is true. Your muscles can adapt much quicker than the tendons can and that's the main reason for most muscle seperations. The muscle separates from the bone at the tendon because the tendon wasn't fixed to the bone well enough to support the weight that the muscle was capable of moving. The only thing is that if that were the case, most of the pain would be in the shoulder, unless you're not using proper form. I'd say to try to do a few skull crushers and see if your elbow hurts then. If you don't feel any pain with that movement then it may be the amount of weight you're using. If you do feel pain doing that movement then you could have a nerve pinch or you're using improper form on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    I'm willing to bet that it's your form that's ailing you. Since i've brought my elbows closer to my body at the bottom of the movement, all pain has disappeared.
    I agree that it could be an improper form, because it seems that most people don't know the proper form for the most common excercise. And you've just proved that. It's not good to bring your elbows in toward your body at the bottom of the movement. Doing that places stress on the delts and the tris and takes the stress off of the pecs. Besides the fact that you're no longer targeting the main muscle group, your delts and tris normally are unable to support the amount of weight that the pecs can handle, so you can end up doing damage to the delt or the tri. The joints are also going thru some stress they shouldn't be going through. The ball of the shoulder is being made to rotate instead of just moving up and down.

i think my for is actually pretty good, i've been commented on it several times, i'm not ruling out that that is a possibiltyi just thinks it's unlikely IMO, and actually me elbows are pretty far from my body i place my hands really wide when i bp...but my elbows were acting up again today during shoulder presses i just worked through it, i'm going to get a dr's appointment tomorrow

form*

Sounds like it could be a tendon problem. Or you're just using too much weight. Did you go for a while not working out and just getting back into it?

Thread Information