Cleaner13 is offline Junior Member

Please critique my workout

Ok prior to this workout I used to do a separate body part every day, 4 exercises per body part and 3 sets of each exercise

I was seeing some strength gains but nothing changing the way I physically looked

about a month ago I came up with this new workout schedule that I am about to post after my stats

Stats

21 Years old
    5'10''
    180lbs
    10% BF

lifting since I was 15, however really started knowing what I was doing the past 3 years

here is the workout
    please keep in mind that everything is 4 sets and aiming for 8 reps

Day 1

Chest/Biceps

Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Straight Arm Pull Overs

Straight Bar Curl w/arm blaster
    Hammer Curls
    Lying Dumbell Curls

Day 2
    Cardio Day

1 min all out on the heavy bag
    1 min all out on speed bag

rest 30 secs and repeat

I started with 3 rounds since its pretty rough and each consecutive workout I add 5 seconds to each set

Day 3

Back/Triceps

Weighted Wide Grip Pull Ups
    Dead lifts
    Bent Over Rows

Weighted Dips Behind Back
    French Press/Tricep Press
    Not sure what its called but its like doing Side laterals but your palms face up instead and you touch the dumbells at the top (was recommended to me by my friends uncle who said he did it when he did boxing training and won Golden Gloves

Day 4
    Cardio (see above)

Day 5

Shoulders/Abs

Upright Rows
    Shrugs
    Seated Lateral Raises

Sit ups with weighted barbell on chest and arms tucked underneath holding it
    Weighted Leg Raises on dip machine
    Lying down with a dumbell in between feet and you bring your kneeds to your chest and put them straight out

Day 6
    Cardio (above)

Day 7

Legs/Forearms

Squats
    Hamstring Curls
    Calve Raise with holding weights like your squatting

Barbell Wrist Curls
    Reverse Wrist Curls with Barbell
    need 3rd exercise?

I am aiming to get stronger above all, add some lots more size to my chest, little more size to the rest and drop some fat

Im looking to remain the same weight but have about a 7-9% body fat, I really want a 6 pack badly, and Im sure as soon as I achieve it I will be aiming for an 8.

thank you ahead of time guys and if theres any other questions you me to answer to help with this please go ahead

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Well if you want to add size and drop fat, isnt gonna be easy, at all. To add size you have to eat more cals than you burn, to drop fat you need to eat less than you burn. I would tell you to bulk up then cut up, your bf% is already pretty low so you wouldnt have too far to go. Make sure you do your cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach so youre not burning the food youve been eating all day. Your split looks good tho. One note on shoulder day, shrugs work your upper back muscles, add some military press or dumbell press and some rear delt raises and youre good to go. And forearms, those fore and reverse curls are about it.

decadbal is offline Banned
    eat more, train harder and less... dont underestimate the power of proper nutrition bro....

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    To be honest I dont like the looks of it.

Im a fan of push/pull routine, and cant see the reasoning behind a chest+bi etc... workout.

Also I dont think heavybag/speedbag is a good idea unless your a boxer, its going to mess up your recovery for your chest/bi and also your next day of training.

You need to decide if you want to cut or bulk, it sounds like cut, and your goal of getting stronger is going to be difficult on a calorie defficient diet for cutting.

One thing you have going is that you picked some good mass building excercises.

Cleaner13 is offline Junior Member
    thank you for everyones replies

Decadbal

thank you for your imput and I will take it into consideration

however I dont think I can increase eating anymore then Im at, I already take in roughly 6K of calories a day, but who knows maybe I can increase it further

Jef-El

thank you for your ideas and yes I believe in the push pull routine as well

but instead of having like chest/back and tris/bis, I put one big muscle with a smaller one

why did I do it?
    well the main reason is that its something different but also doing two big muscles at the same time kind of sucks and even though they dont hit each other directly, lifting heavy with one and then going to another really takes alot out of you

in all honesty I dont think I could go heavy on deadlifts right after doing a heavy set of benching

your probably right about the boxing routine, however if I could best explain what kind of body I would want it would be that of a pro boxer or close to it(I know they train very hard and I would never discredit them and think I would reach that peakness)

however your thought on recovery has me thinking
    if that is the case with the recovery that the speed/heavy bag will worsen recovery times

what do boxers do when they do that sort of training?
    is there a way around it or is it something you gain by experience or?

if you have any of those answers please let me know so I have an idea of something to improve

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner13
    Jef-El

thank you for your ideas and yes I believe in the push pull routine as well

but instead of having like chest/back and tris/bis, I put one big muscle with a smaller one

why did I do it?
    well the main reason is that its something different but also doing two big muscles at the same time kind of sucks and even though they dont hit each other directly, lifting heavy with one and then going to another really takes alot out of you

in all honesty I dont think I could go heavy on deadlifts right after doing a heavy set of benching

your probably right about the boxing routine, however if I could best explain what kind of body I would want it would be that of a pro boxer or close to it(I know they train very hard and I would never discredit them and think I would reach that peakness)

however your thought on recovery has me thinking
    if that is the case with the recovery that the speed/heavy bag will worsen recovery times

what do boxers do when they do that sort of training?
    is there a way around it or is it something you gain by experience or?

if you have any of those answers please let me know so I have an idea of something to improve
    By push pull I didnt mean Chest+back on one day, I meant Chest+tri(push) Back+bi(pull), Leg, shoulder days. I totally agree on the chest+back days being useless.

As far as boxing routine Im not sure, but I dont think punching a bag is going to get you a bigger chest etc... You dont see runners with big legs, you know what I mean? If you like punching ****, maybe you can do regular cardio and put the punching later in the week, farther from chest work.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jef-El
    By push pull I didnt mean Chest+back on one day, I meant Chest+tri(push) Back+bi(pull), Leg, shoulder days. I totally agree on the chest+back days being useless.

As far as boxing routine Im not sure, but I dont think punching a bag is going to get you a bigger chest etc... You dont see runners with big legs, you know what I mean? If you like punching ****, maybe you can do regular cardio and put the punching later in the week, farther from chest work.
    i would agree with this. i have been boxing for a long time, and punching bag/speed bag can be good exercise, but can hinder recovery to the obvious muscle groups if you recently used them. it can also become very catabolic, as it becomes anaerobic very quickly when goin at it with a heavy bag, so you should hit the bag in rounds, not for long straight intervals....

do what jef said, put it far away from your chest+tri days and it shouldn't be a prob, i do the same thing!

Thread Information