S R H is offline Associate Member

Good Lower Ab & Oblique Excersise?

I found that on ab day...when i do my workout...i can never hit my lower abs and my obliques so that they're as sore as my upper abs are the next day..Any badass excersises you guys know of that will tear my shiit up?... i could sure use some help. ThaNx Guys!

-BdUb

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Obliques are a little funny. All you need to do is take two dumbells, hold them in each hand, slowly lean from one side to the other. After you lower your right dumbell down to your right knee, slowly lift it back up until your left dumbell reaches your left knee and concentrate on your left oblique. Do the same thing on the left side and concentrate on your right oblique. The thing that's funny about the obliques is that you want to stay in a high rep range, unlike most other muscle groups. You want to do between 15-20 reps per side. The other funny thing about the obliques is that you really don't want them to get as sore as your other muscles. Your obliques get large pretty quick and if they do get big, you lose the V taper. The wider your mid-section gets, the smaller you look and the more unproportioned you look. So be carefull.

Lower abs can be debated. As I was comming up some 20 years ago, the rule was leg lifts, either laying or hanging on a chin up bar, but now a days a lot of people say that the entire abdomen is hit when you do any crunch movement. You really have to try different things and see how you feel when you do them.

k thx bro... i do do leg lifts...and when i did it... it like made my feel the "v taper" soo hardcore.. it like gave me a "v taper" over night... but lower abs, im not so sure about.

BTW... im on day 7 of my m1-t cycle so maybe i should start working them more/harder now?

Your abs, but not your obliques. Work the obliques while you're natural.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't do weighted oblique excersises! These muscles grow really fast. I've got love handles from hell! I used to do these cable side bends. Now I can't get rid of them. Front shot of me looks all fat, side looks decent.
    Do lying side crunches while bringing your legs in like hanging knee bends, but only one leg (side you are crunching) extends when you lay back down. Be slow and strict, you'll KNOW when you are doing it right because you'll feel it in the oblique and serratus and inter costals.
    Twist on the Roman chair are good to. You can do them on a crunch or on a hyper extension. Bent over twists are good after you've figured out how to hit them standing straight up.
    Hanging knee bends are good too, but are better when you leave your legs straight and curl up to your head. Done strict, these burn after like 4-6 reps your first time.
    Reverse crunches on a bench are great. I've done these successfully on a floor. You just put your hands under your bum, palm down to help stabilize your self. For a super burnout, do bicycle kicks when you can't do any more reverse crunches.
    Jack knife crunches are iffy. I never felt a good lower ab burn from these.

You shouldn't say not to do weighted oblique excercises. I did warn him that he has to be careful doing them because they grow really fast and I warned him about losing the V taper. But it's still a good excercise for bring out the obliques, you just have to be careful with it.

CrossroadS is offline Associate Member
    forgot who posted it, but do decline sit ups with a dumbell on your chest. 3 sets of 10. Move up in weight when you can do more then that. It really hits lower abs. I started out with no weights, and now can do a 40lb dumbell 3X10. Search in here though, I can't remember who posted the workout, I will look.

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    My gym has a decline thing to lay on with a hanlde at the top, lay on it with your head at the top and its like leg lifts but the opposite way..........if you follow all that, hit those up, they seem to work well for me.

dukebrown is offline New Member
    Lower ABs and Hipflexor. Attatch a looped rope to the the low pulley and slip your feet into it. Lay on your back and pull your knees to your chest. Best dam abs I have ever done.

thanx guys ur great help

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I do weighted hanging leg raises for my lower abs, although the biggest difference in the visibility of your lower abs is going to be your diet and cardio...

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    I do weighted hanging leg raises for my lower abs, although the biggest difference in the visibility of your lower abs is going to be your diet and cardio...
    are vertical leg raises just as good as hanging ones?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    You mean lying down and doing leg raises? That's horizontal. That's hip flexors. Not really an ab work out. To hit lower abs, you need to do excersizes that curl your hips up to your chest.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by se11
    are vertical leg raises just as good as hanging ones?
    Whats the difference? Are you asking if using that chair thing with the handles and doing it? IF that is your question yes, same thing.

MikeyZ23 is offline Associate Member
    Well I'm no expert but what works for me is the go to absolute failure method. For lowers I do horizontal leg lifts but don't go too high or too low. I also don't do it on a completely flat bench. I use a slight incline on one of those adjustable things (not sure what to call it, but the one you can lay down on.) This keeps constant tension. I do about 2-2.5 seconds up and the same for the down. Also like to make sure my arms are over my head instead of using the handles at my side. I put an 8lb weight between my legs as well and do roughly 15-20 reps, the use the 3lb weight do the same, then no weight and try to slam about 10 reps. Do 2 sets of this and you'll feel pain.

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    situps on a inclined ab board,..the higher its inclined, the lower it hits the stomack,..also try vertical knee raises/or 6 inches

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with duke brown with the lower cable as one good one for lower abs. The other is the hanging leg raises/kneeups using a hanging arm strap which you put your arms in it. Takes all the pressure of the hand grip and allows you to concentrate on the lower abs more effieciently as long as you keep the swinging motion to a minimum. Recently, I also incorporated using a decline bench head positioned at the top end. Legs straight out and raise up. As your legs are at the highest point your partner then uses their hands & forces the legs down fast. Polymetrics will burn your lower abs..

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Ok thanks.

Thread Information