doby48 is offline Female Member

Muscle Spasm - Sign of Injury

I have had a muscle spasm in my right lat for a few days now, no pain just irritating as all hell... anyways I did some reading on the internet and see that muscle spasms are sometimes an early sign of injury. Any truth to this? Like I said, no pain just bugging me the way I an feel it pulsating constantly. Tomorrow is back day and if this is a first sign of injury I need to know so I can take it easy if necessary otherwise I'll just hammer through my workout like normal.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    I get muscle spasams all the time. From my quads to my eyelids. Never heard it was supposed to be an early sign of injury doesnt mean is isnt tho

ripped525 is offline Junior Member
    Well im no doctor but my quads spasm from time to time for the past yr and with no injuries or pain. But dont take my advice on this, i would still get it checked if it remains constant.

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    I dont know if there is any validity to this, but i have heard that muscle spasms have something to do with water. what im not sure, but i think it is like drawing water in or something, like i said i dont really knwo, but ive never heard that it is an early sign of injury. lord i hope it isnt

a little more digging around online and here is what I found on US National Library of Medicines web site:

Muscle spasms commonly occur when a muscle is over-used or injured. Working out when dehydrated or with low levels of potassium can also predispose a person to muscle spasms. Some spasms are caused when the nerve that connects to a muscle is irritated. The classic example of this would be a herniated disk irritating spinal nerves as they exit the back causing pain and spasm.

At the first sign of a muscle spasm, stop your activity and try stretching and massaging the affected muscle. Heat will relax the muscle at first, although ice may be helpful after the initial spasm and pain has improved. If the muscle continues to be sore, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications may help with pain. In more severe cases, your health care provider may prescribe anti-spasm medications.

The most common cause of muscle cramps associated with sports activity is dehydration. Often, rehydration with water or sports drinks will resolve.

So I guess since I don't have pain like sometimes is associated with it, I won't worry about it. Since I'm currently taking an ECA stack maybe I just haven't increased my water intake enough. I'll up that and hopefully this will go away, its driving me crazy feeling this for this long non-stop.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I'm not sure I am clear about whether you are speaking of a spasm, cramp or twitch, each is different. Unless you are having spasms or cramps, which will be painful and likely prevent fine motor control during exercise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    a little more digging around online and here is what I found on US National Library of Medicines web site:

Muscle spasms commonly occur when a muscle is over-used or injured. Working out when dehydrated or with low levels of potassium can also predispose a person to muscle spasms. Some spasms are caused when the nerve that connects to a muscle is irritated. The classic example of this would be a herniated disk irritating spinal nerves as they exit the back causing pain and spasm.

At the first sign of a muscle spasm, stop your activity and try stretching and massaging the affected muscle. Heat will relax the muscle at first, although ice may be helpful after the initial spasm and pain has improved. If the muscle continues to be sore, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications may help with pain. In more severe cases, your health care provider may prescribe anti-spasm medications.

The most common cause of muscle cramps associated with sports activity is dehydration. Often, rehydration with water or sports drinks will resolve.

So I guess since I don't have pain like sometimes is associated with it, I won't worry about it. Since I'm currently taking an ECA stack maybe I just haven't increased my water intake enough. I'll up that and hopefully this will go away, its driving me crazy feeling this for this long non-stop.

After I worked out my back last week it was a spasm (feels kinda like a throbbing charlie horse). Now for the last couple days it feels more like a constant twitch with no pain at all.

If it started to happen after your workout and it wasn't an actute problem which occured during exercise or between sets I wouldn't worry about it too much. I get super twitches every so often, I'll be lying in bed and one of my quads will be jumping around like crazy. It's annoying but thats about it and I have never been able to track down what causes it...

Thanks for the feedback chicamahomico, I won't worry about it then. Its annoying, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to risk injury working my back again tomorrow.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I would be concerned about a neurological problem. Most neurological deseases start off with small things like spasms.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I too have spasm's personally I do not worry unless there is a sharp or dull pain.. Sometimes if overworked and surrounding aux muscles are undertrained I think can lean to spasms. Something about fluids if I recall..

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I would think that if it occurs in the middle of a set, that would be a sign of a problem. Just up your water intake because of the ECA and eat a banana every night for potasium. Maybe a small Gatorade on a cheat day. Also might want to stretch after you complete a set instead of flexing.

As mentioned in my previous post, I plan to increase my water intake... I had increased it with my ECA stack but mayb just not enough. I eat a banana most mornings and take supplement containing potassium at night. I don't want to eat bananas at night since there is over 25g of carbs in a medium sized banana night time is not the best time to be taking in these carbs. I always stretch after my workouts already to keep limber....

I am diabetic so Gatorade is not an option, what is your logic behind drinking a gatorade though?

It contains electrolytes like sodium and potassium, water does not.

Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    I am diabetic so Gatorade is not an option, what is your logic behind drinking a gatorade though?

Ok, so as long as I'm getting enough potassium from other sources then I should be fine (since Gatorade is not an option). I could do some checking around for more sugar free electrolyte sources as well, maybe something like ALPHA ATP... I'll check around more though.

Actually just realized that Ultima is basically what I'm looking for... basic concept of Gatorade (electrolye replenisher) but sugar free.
    Last edited by doby48; 08-03-2004 at 03:00 PM.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i have them alot, and way more when i take aas... just part of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    i have them alot, and way more when i take aas... just part of the game
    Have what a lot? Ultima or gatorade or bananas?

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Muscle spasms.

Thanks for the tips everyone, i have increased my water intake and started to have some ultima too (just ran out though so i'm waiting for my next order to arrive). I am thinking that I could probably even mix Ultima in with Whey for my PWO while taking ECA since it has Malto in it just adds in Electrolytes maybe that will help.

Hopefully that will work for you. Good luck.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    i drink pedialyte to reyhdrate myself on days that i sweat alot

Thread Information