Thread: Bowflex

CRANKED is offline New Member

Bowflex

I am looking to purchase one for the home. I want to know if it works and is the same as free weights. Is there any restrictions??

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRANKED
    I am looking to purchase one for the home. I want to know if it works and is the same as free weights. Is there any restrictions??
    Well if you look at the people working out on the Bowflex in the commercials you would think it was as good or better than free weights which I seriously doubt.

decadbal is offline Banned
    a good bro of mine bought one, and had me come test it, bc the most u can bench or whatever is like 400.. not even close.... free wts are where its at, dont waste your money, join a gym..

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Take the money you would spend on the bowflex, get an adjustable bench, a set of dumbells up to 150 lbs. and a smith machine with weights. That should be a little bit more than a bowflex but many times more effective.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Not the same thing at all. Some people think they are the same, but you can really feel the difference. The resistance has an odd curve to it. I prefer the regular old free weights.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i think it is ok for someone that wants to work out at home and get in better shape. its not for people that want to get very good resuls.

thick one is offline Associate Member
    i've used one (while training with a friend who dropped 2 large on the xtl) and all i can say is "what a piece of fu@#$%ing sh!t!!

i figure its for house wifes

V_Xsucks is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CRANKED

How much does it go for ?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Good as free weights?? Haha the answer is unequivocally NO! Spend your hard earned $$ for a good club/gym. Their higher end ones are $2000 +thats crazy

se11 is offline Associate Member
    free weights are definatley better for you. if your going to spend money on a home gym, you should look for one that gives you the ability to change it for the most exercises possiable. mine has a bench, incline ability, pulldown/pressdown capability, leg curl capability and ability to dip wrack. your also going to need dumbless, different cabels, and some other things. it's a good investment if you want to work out for years and stick to it. i've been working out for a year and have definatley got my moneys worth, and i plan to continue working out.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Best effect you can get is to lose weight. You can lose a ton of weight almost emediately from the wallet area.

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    i think it is ok for someone that wants to work out at home and get in better shape. its not for people that want to get very good resuls.
    I think that it is designed for toning the body and weight loss, not for adding mass. if that is your goal and you truly want a home gym then i think it would be fine. but just like the gym, you arent going to see results if you dont use it religously and diet properly and what not. good luck to you my friend

NoobJuice is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeUp
    I think that it is designed for toning the body and weight loss, not for adding mass. if that is your goal and you truly want a home gym then i think it would be fine. but just like the gym, you arent going to see results if you dont use it religously and diet properly and what not. good luck to you my friend

I would agree with this: If you want to just get toned by all means purchase that junk. I believe machines of any sort restrict free range motion, only allowing you to do what the machine is designed for- Free weights don't restrict your movements therefore in my situation any way, I strive harder to complete my reps. If you want mass, get some free weights if you want to get cut go machine.

PartyBoy is offline New Member
    It sucks! My friend had one and it was a joke. Save your money bro!

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    what is a bowflex? anyone got a link?
    Edit: nevermind! looks like a heap of ****!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bowflex-11.jpg  

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    www.bowflex.com

Your muscles respond to a stimilus. Free weights might provide a better stimilus for advanced lifters.

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    i hope you got the info/input you were looking for CRANKED

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    lol if you watch the demo vid the bb guy cracks me up!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You should come to the states and watch the info commercials 24/7.

birsling is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeUp
    Dead on Cut! Do not try and use one for mass, you won't get it. They are not a bad piece, and great if you have a space restriction. The price range is large, and the feature base is good, but I would not say that I would recommend them over free weights if you are spending time on this forum

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    it's better than nothing I guess, but hardly worth 2k IMO.

znak is offline Senior Member
    The only way to get a good workout is to put the whole machine on your back and do squats. It is too heavy to use for curls.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Those things are crap! I broke the "power rod" on my first lat pulldown. LOL, the guy at sears wasn't too happy.

i use to know a kid who swore by the bowflex, but he never got any bigger

KBZ
    KBZ is offline Associate Member
    My dad got one, and honestly, the only workout that doesn't feel "akward" on it is chest. If I can't do get to the gym (holiday, sunday, etc.) And I really really don't want to take a day off, and assuming it's chest day or real close to it, I'll work chest. Flyes and "benching" with some pushups. Works good, just to give the workout some change. (like how the "bows" have constant tension regaurdless of gravity, unlike dumbbells. DB's are better but change is always good. hehe)
    If you can find one really cheap I'd recommend it, but only as an addition to your gym membership. Save it for rainy days, late nights, time to change up, or whatever, but it can't match a gym

H-BOL is offline Associate Member
    maxing it out on chest is like a warmup.... kife

BDTR is offline Retired
    The 400 lbs "powerrod resistance" felt like about 200 in free weights, maybe.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    i bought one, its decent, but deff not freeweights. also i only paid $250 for mine, i dunno what they actually charge for one, but its probably sky high and nowhere near worth it.

buy a smith machine for that much money, i would!

pretty_tony is offline Associate Member
    smith all the way, my friend had one in his bedroom, i loved it

LM1332 Guest
    Whats the thread # 5? regarding bowflex for the price of bowflex 30 or 40 bucks a month you can get 2 years in the gym maybe even 3 depends on what bowflex you are gonna get

birsling is offline Member
    They range in price from $799 for the sport to $2199 for the ultimate. It is okay, as I said before, you are looking to tone. If you are older, and looking to tighten up, it does the job and is space efficient. I wouldn't buy one for me!

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    It completely sucks. I sell it. I always try to talka customer out of buying one,..its got a few good characteristics about it but for the serious athlete,..its a waste of time and mobey.

Thread Information