Paingain is offline Banned

Question about training while I'm sick

Ok, this really sucks ass, I got strep throat and the worst freaking sinus infection you could ever have. I've had the worst migraine since Friday, but I'm still lifting, not quite as long or as hard, but I'm still with it. And I'm still eating, been force feeding myself a little, but keeping it up. When I got on the scale today, I noticed that I've lost like 6 pounds in less than a week!!! And I havent even hit cardio this week. My question is, is that even though I'm eating my ass off still, does your body lose weight just fighting sickness? I mean, is my metabolism into overdrive right now or something? Thanks for the help

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    You really shouldn't work out when you're sick, because you lower your immune system when you work out. You lose weight when you're sick for several reasons and your case can be any of those reasons. It could be water loss, it could be muscle loss, it could be anything.

yeah, I know I shouldnt lift, but I cant go a week without doing something, i'll lose strength

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Same thing happens to me, but hey, I just deal with it. If I have my suppliment, then I'm okay. I can go a couple weeks without losing strength then.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    whats odd is that I got some virus one time... I went to the doctor and he put me on antibiotics... after about a week or so or using em I started feeling better, I shrunk like a pea... I went into the gym all shrunk up and feeling dumb even for bein there .. like I didnt belong.

strapped on 225 on the smith for militarys .. did like 10 easy reps..

WTF

usualy would do about that ... but it felt good

upped to 275 cranked out another 10

up to 315 pushed out 6 or 8 reps which for me was a record at the time.

I still to this day dont get it.

overtraining... carb up?? who know.

GL

yeah, I know its probably stupid to train sick, but I mean I think that there is a difference between flu sick, or just severe cold sick. Now if it was the flu or something, no ****ing way would I even think of training, but a stupid sinus infection and strep throat is just a ****ing nuisance to me. It's funny, but i'm so mad at the sickness that I try to take it out on the weights!!! I'll just be thinking,"No, **** you, your not stopping me, get out of my system and just die!!!!" Maybe its a sign, maybe I need to just get back on the gear. If I was on gear this would have never happened!

pspcs83 is offline Junior Member
    personally, if i'm sick, which is rare, i take time off. I may go in like 2x a week at most and just go through the motions. It makes me feel a ton better. definately get a ton of rest though

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Do not lift while you are sick. Exercise stresses your body.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    If you are sick for a week just rest and don't workout. If you get the rest your body is telling you it needs you will recover and be back to normal workout that much faster and a week to rest you aren't going to lose any strength. If you push it and keep trying to workout when you are sick you can make your sickness last longer and may end up losing more strength in the long run if you don't give yourself a chance to get better.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Thread Information