mcvays1 is offline Junior Member

Is this a good workout plan?

Currently in 6'2 215 pounds 23% BF, yet i can only bench around 150 Ive been lifting for about 2 years now, but havnt seen much gains, only in fat cause i have a VERY slow metabolism. I have a Huge lower body, but i had that before i started working out. My main concern is my upper body, my arms are very weak. I dont know if I should stop workingout my lower body and work out my upper body muscle groups twice a weeks or continue as im doing now.
    Heres what i do now

Lifting I do three times a week. When I do a rep i go 1 sec up and 3 seconds down. I start out with a warm up with very light weight. Next i increase the weight so i can do 8-10 reps to failure, increase weight again so im doing 6-8 reps, increase again so 4-6 reps then again at 2-4 reps.

Monday Triceps, chest, forarms, abs
    4 sets benchpress
    -1 superset of chest flys
    4 sets dips
    -1 superset Tri pulldowns
    4 sets forarm curls
    4 sets 20-crunches

WED Quades, calves, abs
    4 sets squats
    -1 superset leg curls
    4 sets calf raises
    4 sets 20-crunches

FRI Bicepts, shoulder, abs
    4 sets EZ-bar standing curls
    -4 superset dumbell incline curls (after each EZ-bar set)
    4 sets Overhead Presses
    -1 superset side dumbell raises
    4 sets 20-crunches
    Is this ok?
    Last edited by mcvays1; 08-26-2004 at 11:17 PM.

Sounds fine to me, but why are you not doing back? Maybe try something like this... M-Chest/Tri's, W-back/bi's, F-shoulders/legs. Maybe also add another one or two excercises (4-8 sets) for every muscle. Also, hows your diet? And do you do any cardio?
    Last edited by Big Poppa Pump; 08-26-2004 at 11:27 PM.

Well heres the thing i was only eating around 2,800 callories, which may not seem like alot for my size but i gained alot of fat. I will be doing cardio on the lifting days in the morining on an empty stomach. Do u guys think i should eat more, with more cardio than 3 times a week when bulking up or what should i do? And what type of excercises would you ad? Also how much muscle should i be gaining in a week, and how much strength?
    Thanks guys

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    If youre bulking you need waaaay more than 2800cals. Bump it up to 3500-4000 and youll grow like mad. DEFFINETLY add back exercises, if you dont youll get very out of proportion and lean forward and have shoulder probs. Do incline and decline bench press, deadlift, front and rear delt DB raises to name a few.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Train like a caged animal!!!!!!

Alrighty, but how do i Stop from getting fat? Should I eat little carbs and fats, or do alot of cardrio. Cause I did gain alot of fat just from the 2,800 cals, but then i wasnt doing any cardio and eating high carbs and fats. Right now im not on supplements cause i heard they dont work, but its debatable I guess. Are there any supplements you guys would recommend for me?
    Last edited by mcvays1; 08-28-2004 at 10:11 AM.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    I would watch carbs after 5:00 pm. I would keep fat moderate and try to concentrate on good fats. Do'nt worry about the fat in meat, you don't have to trim off everything. On the same note, if you eat a ribeye stake, don't eat the huge chunks of fat around the meat, just eat the meat, even thoguh the fat tastes mighty good! I would concentrate on low glycemic carbs. No white bread only whole grain or whole wheat. Key word being WHOLE. If your at the store and it doesn't say WHOLE, don't buy it. Multi grain or 12 grain is not the same as WHOLE.It fools alot of people. Got it?
    As far as rice, brown rice. Not white.
    As far as potatoes, get sweet potaotes or yams, not white.
    Intersting how all the white stuff gets you in trouble?lol.

I wouldnt do cardio if i was you. Don't be to obsesive about getting to fat when you gain muscle, some fat will accumualte in the process. But it doesn't have to be 30 or 40 pounds. If you bulk up for 6 months and gain more than an estimated 15 pounds of fat, then change your dieting habits. Some people are into doing cardio while bulking, but remmeber, not all genetic types can recover and grow when two different kinds of training stresses are imposed. I think it is safe t say most have enough trouble gaining with just doing weigh traing let alone cardio also. Heck, if gains were so easy, why would we need a whole website about steroids ? So maximize your recovery and toss the cardio.
    Supps. The only supps i would use for you are, a multi vitamin, protien poweder, and maybe creatine. Creatine didn't do much fo me till after i turned 22. My metaoblism excreted it to fast i gueess before that. Try creatine for 2 months and if you think it helps, keep it, of not, save the money. Get one without the sugar, or low sugar. Also don't drink creatine with juice. If you have fat probelems fructose will just make them worse.
    As far as your workout you sound like you might benfit from not doing legs. O know how it sounds, gay and pussey like, but listen. Most people do need to work their legs. Many guys have tons of strength in their legs but no, size or shape, and are always looking for ways to make them grow. From what you said you sound alot like me. You're bottome heavy. Me too. I kinda get fat where chicks get fat, the legs. But I also have legs that responf tremendously to training. My legs can literally grow from one workout!(Not on steroids either!) They can extremily big and strong, extremely fast. Problem is, you end up looking like a horse cuz it doesn't match the upper body. Now, i f ya don't care how ya look, do your legs as usual. If you want symetry, you might want to drop them out or just maintain them. But don't maintain them with alot of reps. Do extremely low reps. Like 3. And fairly heavy. But as you can do more than 3, don't increase the reps, stay at three. Increase the wight. Then after you increases the weight, don't increase it, or the reps anymore. Just keep doing 1-2 sets of just three. That way you still keep your power, without making them huge. Later when your upper body catches up, increase the reps to 6-8 and and increase the weights. 6-10 is the best growth range, while 1-4 is the "power range". Granted you get both with the 6-10 range, but with power training less muscle growth is actually stimulated, yet neuromuscular efficincy is increased.
    However, you may want to try leaving out your legs completely, but you have to make sure your deadlifting on one of your upper body days. Deads will suffice for some legs stimulation that you should't lose to much masss or strenghth of your legs. If you don't deadlift, you better consider it, cuz it's the best excersise there is, period. Get a trainer to show you proper form on it. Some people have developed their bodies while basing their routine soley around deadlifts. It's that important. It works every muscle you have really. Some more than others, but it still is well known to be the best mass developing excersise.

And stop doing your abs everyworkout, your overtraining them. Would you work your bicipe every workout? No. Because it would never recover. Abs are the same kinda muscle tissue as every other muscle and need time to recover. Your heart is one of the only muscles that has the ability to keep working without being overtrained. This is because the heart has a differett kind of muscle tissue that does not experiance microtrama to it's fibers from repetetive contractions.
    So treat you abs like any other, and do 10-12 reps with wight once a week or so. Increase the wight, not the reps wehn you break 12 or 15 reps.

Alot of people may not like the idea of not working legs, but they dont understand what it's like to look like a horse.
    If you have good legs you have good legs. Most guys have grasshoper legs, and have to really bust their ass to get them to grow. I use to bust my ass to make them grow to, and i looked uneven as hell. My trainers told me that if my legs got huge, everything else would follow. I never found this to be true.
    But you have to experiment on yourself. See what happens. Myabe you do need to train legs. Experiment.
    But remember to deadlift. Don't forget.

Wow thanks ALOT Anabolicboy. I have considered taking out my legs from my workout cause like you they are so out of proportion with the rest of my body, but lets say I do take them out, would I not have to eat so much as soldier recommended 3,500 - 4,000 cal? Cause if im gaining 20 pounds of fat in three months on a 2,800 cal diet, somethings not right. So If i took my legs out of my workout plan, what should it look like then and how much should I eat?

Sorry for so many questions, im just scared of getting morbidly obease...LOL.
    Last edited by mcvays1; 08-29-2004 at 01:02 PM.

what the...sorry bout the three posts...dont know what i did.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Hit the button three times, if it doesnt go right away just let it be, otherwise it will duplicate em. You can edit them and delete the extras by hitting the cleverly marked "edit" button. I do it some times too.

Does anyone else have the trouble of gaining alot of fat on a not so high cal diet like that?

Thread Information