Aggression is offline Member

Question about dumbell side bends

When doing dumbell sidebends what side oblique gets worked when what side dumbell gets pulled up? For example if I am holding a dumbell in my right hand and pulling it up, is my left or right oblique getting worked? You can look at this and decide if you want. (He is using his right hand with the dumbell, is his left or right oblique getting worked?)

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BSideBend.html

Also, should I do only one side and dumbell at a time (like he's doing) or should I grab two dumbells and do both sides at the same time(Left than right, etc)

Also, if I'm training to get back into boxing, will doing these help my obliques to get stronger to take a rib shot?
    Last edited by Aggression; 08-04-2004 at 03:37 PM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    1 at a time and primary involvement in a side bend is the side not holding the dumbell.

Why one at a time? Also is it good to do it the way the guy is doing it in the clip?

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    I dont understand why you would ever want to do that exercize...

To build my obliques so I could take a rib shot better when I start sparring again in boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    To build my obliques so I could take a rib shot better when I start sparring again in boxing.

Good answer. If you really want to hit obliques bro, crunches with a twist or laying one ur side would work better. Use resistance of some form. Laydown in front of a cable machine and do ur crunches holding the cable in front of you for resistance, or hold a dumbell behind ur head. Get creative.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    One side at a time other wise your just a pendulum working off momentum.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    One side at a time other wise your just a pendulum working off momentum.
    Disagree on one side-- the key is to do them slowly. Rocking back and forth ain''t going to do squat, agree with you there. DB in each hand. Bend, feel the pull, contract up,,, stop... do other side.

Squats and deads without a belt will also really build up the strength in the obliques.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Squats and deads without a belt will also really build up the strength in the obliques.

That's not the obliques you're feeling during squats and deads with not belt... its the transverse abdominus. Its an internal muscle of the "lumbo-pelvic-hip complex" aka the core. It draws the inner organs in towards ur back to create more support.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    I'd recommend lots of cardio and lots of body shot rounds too.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with Tribex why do them?? Side bends using way too much weight will actually build them. If you have fat stores look out... your going to look evan fatter. Use twist with a stick is all you need. But the side bends can be used but light weight with a crunch

Thread Information