Aggression is offline Member

New cardio routine

Would walking 5 days a week on the treadmill for 45 minutes at a 4.2 pace be good for buring fat without losing muscle?

What about for stamina purposes? (Trying to get in shape for boxing)

MrDezel is offline Banned
    thats what I do but I put her on an incline of about 11-12 and bust my ass for 30-45 minutes 3 days a week.

UrbanDawg is offline Banned
    I have my PC set up in front of the tread and a keyboard at stomach level so I can do PC work while walking.

I set it at 3 mph casue thats all thefaster I can walk an type accuratlery. I read email and AR and surf the web. Many a day Ive gone 6 or 8 miles and it seems like nothing cuase im doing work at same time.

Yes its a great great burner. Long Distance slow pace does burn fat for sure. But you gott do it for at least an hour or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    Would walking 5 days a week on the treadmill for 45 minutes at a 4.2 pace be good for buring fat without losing muscle?

What about my second question...

is walking good for stamina purposes? (Trying to get in shape for boxing)

Also, (when talking about walking) is what your saying is anything less than 45 minutes is pointless and won't help you?

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    I guess it would be good for stamina. Walking wont get your heart rate up at a decent level though unless you were to walk on an incline. Try stepping it up a notch.

Badmofo is offline New Member
    What would you guys say the ideal target heart rate is for burning fat. I'm sure i read that 75% for @ least 45 minutes is good for cardio but isn't it lower for fat burning purposes?

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    65% is great for burning fat, it was in the August edition of MD I believe with the study behind it?

For boxing purposes, walking is a waste of time. Stick to a steady jog and train with high reps. Muscle endurance and cardiorespiratory health should be your number one concern as you are sport specific training and not bodybuilding.

What weight class do you compete it?

znak is offline Senior Member

This might be a good way to start getting into shape, but will not get you into the shape needed for boxing.

Keep pushing the envelope. If you can do 4.2 now, try 4.3 next week, then 4.4, etc. until you are runnning.

This is one of those "chicken and egg" problems. Don't worry about losing muscle while you are running, cardio should be part of your workout, you should still be lifting to put on/maintain your mass.

You are going to have to burn a lot of calories to train your cardiovascular system and get it to boxing condition. Your diet will determine is you gain or lose weight in the process.

I used to compete at 165 but that was years ago, now I'm 215. You say walking is a waste of time for boxing, but the thing is I want to get back into everything SLOWLY. I plan on walking for like 8 weeks and THAN I'm gonna start running. If I start running now I'll either injure something or I'll get overwelmed seeing I haven't ran in years.

Plus I figure if I start out walking it'll help me shed some fat before I step my training up a notch.

znak is offline Senior Member
    I used to compete at 165 but that was years ago, now I'm 215. You say walking is a waste of time for boxing, but the thing is I want to get back into everything SLOWLY. I plan on walking for like 8 weeks and THAN I'm gonna start running. If I start running now I'll either injure something or I'll get overwelmed seeing I haven't ran in years.

Plus I figure if I start out walking it'll help me shed some fat before I step my training up a notch.
    A) Did not say it was a waste of time.

B) you are doing the right thing. Just don't forget to keep dialing up the intensity.

C) Most important thing is not to kill the desire to work out.

Go for it, You can do it.

Thread Information