Aggression is offline Member

2 questions about walking on treadmill

I currently walk 3 days a week on the treadmill for 45 min at 4.2 mph with NO incline.

1) Is doing this 3 days a week enough for fat loss? Keep in mind I'm just starting out.

2) Is it OK that I am running with no incline. The treadmill I use doesn't have it where you can raise the incline.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron
    The main thing to make sure of is that you are keeping your heart rate at about 70-75% max (220 - age) X (.7 or .75). If you are in that zone, you will be burning fat.

For me, I have to have a bit of incline to achieve this, but starting out you probably won't. The other option is to just keep increasing the speed, but for me it is harder to find the jogging pace that keeps me in the 75% than a fast walk with incline.

Depending on how much fat you need to lose, three days may or may not be enough. If you have a long way to go, I would try to work your way up to 4 or 5 days. If you have only a little to lose, or are just trying to keep off what you have lost, three days should be plenty.

Hope this helps.
    RedBaron
    I use a little less scientific way. If I have not broke a serious sweat after 15 minutes, I dial up the intensity. (speed or incline)

MikeyZ23 is offline Associate Member
    Sounds ok bro, but def. check that heart rate and make sure you're in the 70% range. Also for fat loss, make sure you're doing your cardio on an empty stomach (preferably out of bed). This worked wonders for me personally. One thing though, don't go too intense because I find that I practically sweat off my muscle (just a figure of speach). I found that I would shrink up and have no energy throughout the day if I were blowing my body out doing cardio. If you're worried about the empty stomach thing, try a scoop of whey about 30 mins before you get going. Def have one when you get done and eat a pro/fat meal if you're really trying to cut up. I'm no expert but this is what works for me.

MikeyZ23 is offline Associate Member
    Oh to specifically answer your questions, listen to your body. I'm in good cardio conditioning usually because I play sports so I need a little incline to get my heart rate up. Take your time and build up. You'll be able to go more sessions as you progress. 45-60 mins is good man, good luck

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    1) 3x/week is fine. 5x/week would result in a greater caloric expenditure, therefore, better/faster fat loss could appear.
    2) Doesn't matter if you are walking or running, just keep you HR in your Target Training Zone. Once in better shape, you will have to manipulate either incline/speed due to a lower submaximal exercising HR.

decadbal is offline Banned
    should be, if not add a day..

Thread Information