znak is offline Senior Member

Wanna Get Thick?

I am now going on my forth year of serious lifting. I work and live in Russia and travel back to home in Florida about twice a year. The snap shots of the Gold’s gym where I work out in Florida really say it all. When you see people everyday, you don’t notice change (or lack thereof), but when you see people (kids especially) once every six months, you can really see changes.

· 90% of all the guys in the gym are still lifting the same weight.

· 5% are juicing seriously and have gotten truly huge.

· 5% are really looking good.

When I posted my pix on the members’ board, I got flamed. There was a strong opinion that I juiced to get my results. One dude was actually kind of pissed that I didn’t “admit” to juicing. I started thinking-- why am I getting results and why do only about 5% of the people at Gold’s get results?

When I was in Florida a couple of weeks ago, I took a look around and tried to “break the code.” I think I have it and was wondering if you bros have noticed the same thing.

1) Most people talk way too much. They talk for so **** long between sets, it is amazing that they get a work out at all. I do 6 sets of ten reps for three exercises every time I go to the gym. I work out exactly one hour. That is an average of 3 reps a minute the WHOLE time I am there. (I am including warm up here). I listen to headphone. I rarely say ten words in that hours. (Uh, you done here?)

2) The weights seem to be selected at random. The guys are doing lat pulls with 200-250 pounds, rocking back and forth, almost hitting their head on the floor. Or put so fricking much weight on the bar that when they’re doing curls, the only muscle not working is the bicep! They jerk around for 2-3 sets and then go talk to somebody. Or the guy easily pushes 220 pounds for ten reps, walks around for a half hour and then pushes it for ten more. No wonder people aren’t sore after their work outs, they don’t recruit new fiber. He can push 220 until the cows come home and he won’t get one gram of growth. I bet you have seen it yourself. Says he is on a plateau. Will probably die there. Pick the guy with the body you really want and watch how he lifts. I’ll bet that he uses total range of motion using a weight that you think you could do! The difference is your movement is choppy and jerky and he moves it cleanly and fluidly. Plus, he adds a bit more weight each time. Come back in six month and he won’t have a gazillion pounds on the bar, but there will be another 10-15 and he will be moving just as smoothly.

3) I have heard people say that they just don’t sweat, but I don’t believe it. If you are pushing 90% of your one rep max six times and then really try to do it again in 120 seconds, you will sweat. You may not push it all six times, but if you put your guts into the attempt, ooops, you will break a sweat. You have to! Strain causes the body to overheat, sweat is nature’s way of cooling you down. If you aren’t sweating- you are not pushing the envelope and you will not have growth/change. Look at Coleman, look at Cutler. They are stronger that you and I will ever be, but they sweat like hell. Why? They are pushing weights that are around their max for that number of reps for that exercise.

4) It all boils down to intensity. The 5% of people (and a most of the juicers, but not all) that go to the gym with a plan, do it and then go home. You have to push yourself to get changes. Only you really know how much you can do. If you go to the gym ready to kick a$$ for a hour four times a week, you WILL completely change your body in a couple years. Not in a couple weeks, it will take you years of work and a change in life style.

The cool part is that the results come fast and easy in the beginning. The hard part is having to dial up your intensity every time you hit a new plateau/level.

Want to change your body—shut up and lift!

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Good post. I do agree that there are alot of randoms that simply wander the gym choosing machines on what takes their fancy. I was watching the guy who runs my gym doing bench presses the other day. He was pushing quite a bit but really bouncing it off his chest. There really is a big difference between pushing a big weight and pushing a big weight with form. For one, those without form usually arent pushing the same weight in 6 months they are usually nursing an injury.
    But on another note, alot of people dont know how to train properly and dont really care. Using my father as an example, i have tried for years to teach him correct form, and certian training pricipals that would benefit him. Even things as simple as prioritisation. But he'll still wander round his gym in a random fashion. Some people refuse to be taught and refuse to teach themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    Good post. I do agree that there are alot of randoms that simply wander the gym choosing machines on what takes their fancy. I was watching the guy who runs my gym doing bench presses the other day. He was pushing quite a bit but really bouncing it off his chest. There really is a big difference between pushing a big weight and pushing a big weight with form. For one, those without form usually arent pushing the same weight in 6 months they are usually nursing an injury.
    But on another note, alot of people dont know how to train properly and dont really care. Using my father as an example, i have tried for years to teach him correct form, and certian training pricipals that would benefit him. Even things as simple as prioritisation. But he'll still wander round his gym in a random fashion. Some people refuse to be taught and refuse to teach themselves.
    And they are doomed to wander. Year after year and no results... Life is one long plateau.

I don't get it. Why bother?

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    well for me personally when i was younger i was stuck at 80kgs on the bench. I had no knowledge on training and would do like 10 sets working up to 80 then having pressed it my new target would be 90. Of course this was a massive leap and made progressing seem impossible. The idea of pressing 81kgs seemed a waste of time . Well i guess you learn as you grow up if you can actually bother to take interest in it. I think alot of people go to the gym to aleviate some of the guilt they feel from overindulging in unhealthy pastimes, drinking drugs, takeaways etc.

The people that are in the gym due to guilt (fast food, drinking, etc), I can understand. What I don't get is the guys trying to get thick (with the lifting belt and the whole nine yards) that stay the same for FOUR years.

There is some science involved here, but 99% is balls out intensity, common sense and a good diet.

$hit, I am 50 and am growing so fast people think I am juicing. (I get off on the endophines.)

For a 25 year old dude, the sky is the limit with three- four years work.

You know, these "should I change the angle 1/2 degree and eat whey protein 47 minutes after my workout" questions, miss the point, which is- push as much weight as you can for one hour day, four times a week and you will grow.

When you get up to 220- 230 pounds, look into AAS if you want to keep growing...

But I guess this won't sell many magazines!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    When I hit the gym its all a frame of mind. Some days are better than others. Im not there to socialize but to get in shape and try to feel good about myself. Now after 17yrs lifting I am no longer the skinny little guy. My few close freinds now comment your too big & I still don't see it! Heck I only average between 175-180lbs but I have small bone frame not tall. Good post too

pspcs83 is offline Junior Member
    I'm really surprised you dont see more people with log books of their weights. It's really a waste of time to not have one. I really wish that the past 2-3 years I had used it instead of waiting until just a few weeks ago.

I work at a gym that has a bunch of seniors as members. I think like 1-2% actually see good results. I worked there when I was 15 and I'm back doing some PT work now. It's ridiculous how much of their life they have wasted at the gym. Why even bother going?

Thread Information