needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member

Bent over barbell rows

Please help ppl.. I am sick of being told a million ways to do bent over rows.. I want the best way to maximize muscle fatigue and minimize lower back use (stabilizing).. anyone know a site etc? thanx

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You can perform them at 90*, where your upper body is parallel to the floor. Or do 45*, this is more specific to the squat, which could improve lower back strength, allowing you to squat more. Anyhow. Keep your back rigid and straight. 90* Bent Rows are more difficult. You don't want to eliminate your erector spinae (lower back muscles) from the movement.

Well right now I have scar tissue build up so I kinda want to take my lower back muscles out! any pictures or videos or links to sites that anyone knows about? thanx

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i do them at 45 i dont like the feeling i get when doing them at 90 degrees.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I NEVER would do them at 90deg so I have to respectively disagree with Hyper.(unless advanced) Too much risk of injury.. 45deg bent at hip back straight looking forward/upward slightly

betatest is offline Associate Member
    Chest supported bent over rows might be another option for you to consider if you want to avoid using your lower back during the movement. Basically lay face down on a bench with the incline set at the proper angle, then pull the bar up from underneath the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    I NEVER would do them at 90deg so I have to respectively disagree with Hyper.(unless advanced) Too much risk of injury.. 45deg bent at hip back straight looking forward/upward slightly
    Lighten your load and give them a try. They will provide a different stimilu for sure. I used to do them both ways. Figured if you hit bench from three different angles, why not do the same with bent rows.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betatest
    Chest supported bent over rows might be another option for you to consider if you want to avoid using your lower back during the movement. Basically lay face down on a bench with the incline set at the proper angle, then pull the bar up from underneath the bench.

EXACTLY. There are dozens of different exercises you can do that wont put stress on your lower back like that. There are dozens of machines that allow you take all the weight off of your back.
    Since you dont know how to do the exercise properly, use a machine and save the back ache.

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    If you have problems keeping your back at a good angle, you could try out T-bar rows, they are a little easier to do.

Rehab your lower back, then have a structured progression directed at your goals.

ok thanx guys. I find t-bar rows are not the greatest.. nothing compared to barbell.. Does anyone know a site though that has pictures of proper form??? thanx

Can't help you out on that one. But, since i have post whored like none other today, figured i would tell you. I have some books that demonstrate. No websites. Actually there is a thread somewhere that shows from. I will try to find it.
    Hang tight

Go to the Lifting Technique forum and you will see the link. It shows a pic. Decent form~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Stand feet shoulder width apart. Grab the bar either shoulder or wider apart using overhand grip. When going heavy you can grip one hand overgrip the other under(supinated). Bend at your hips,45deg back straight not arch/humped looking straight ahead. Lower the bar completly for the full stretch,bring up to your bottom pec region & SQUEEZE. Feel the back contraction,some will rotate the scapular too. Its easier to show then to write it. You can also use the smith machine & make sure you set the safety lock hooks just in case you lose it.

decadbal is offline Banned
    just try it a few times at diff angles and what works best for what u like...use

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Please help ppl.. I am sick of being told a million ways to do bent over rows.. I want the best way to maximize muscle fatigue and minimize lower back use (stabilizing).. anyone know a site etc? thanx
    i was curious on that one too, on www.teenbodybuilding.com , the picture shows the guy doing rows pretty much back parellel to the floor

Thread Information