danzw is offline New Member

Thick and wide back?

can anyone tell me what the best routine is to achieve a wide and thick back..

thanks!!

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    heavy rows, and wide grip pull up /pul downs, deads lifts would be essential also
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    an example of a workout would be

2 light warm ups light just to get wamred up

Barbell rows- x8 x6 x6

dead lifts- X8 X6 X6

Hi lat row- x8 X6 x6

Wide lat pulldown- x8 x6 x6

then 5 sets of shrugs, this is my workout but my rep scheme is something like x10x8x6, for size u might wanna get it down tot he x8 x6 x6 i posted, this sint a set in stone workout, just food for thought

I've lived and died with deadlifts...I'd make them numero uno...Heavy rows and lat pulldowns are great,but nothing replaces deads...imo

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    My back responds the best to the heavy rows and lat pull down/pullups, I have also started bent over barbell rows those are helping out a lot as well.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Dumbell rows and and weighted pull up are a best for me....

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodtobeapimp
    I've lived and died with deadlifts...I'd make them numero uno...Heavy rows and lat pulldowns are great,but nothing replaces deads...imo
    I 100% agree...deads are the shit.....I started doing them about 8 months ago and my middle back has never been so thick.

keithquig is offline Associate Member
    i love deads but every 4th week instead of doing regular deads ill do smith machine deads bc it starts just below the knee so all ur working is ur back and u can use alot of weight this will allow u to push past any sticking point ur having with reg deads

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    chins,bent rows, and deads are all you need IMO! after 3-4sets of each are completed and you still have energy for more than you didnt work hard enough!

wild-one is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithquig
    i love deads but every 4th week instead of doing regular deads ill do smith machine deads bc it starts just below the knee so all ur working is ur back and u can use alot of weight this will allow u to push past any sticking point ur having with reg deads
    Rack pulls are great for your back...you can do this in a power rack...just set the pins at knee level...then ya don't have to use the smith machine

I had great growth from splitting back training into vertical and horizontal planes on my upper body days ...and of course...deadlifting.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Deads are great, but for me they hit more lower and traps, not lats... For lats HEAVY, PERFECT form bent over barbell rows are the # 1

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Deads are great, but for me they hit more lower and traps, not lats... For lats HEAVY, PERFECT form bent over barbell rows are the # 1

this is the only negative about deads for me too! im not a powerlifte, nor am i trying to bulk up my lower back or core, because i love the small waist big shoulders look, but the only reason i do them is for hormone release.

Thread Information