pspcs83 is offline Junior Member

routine change question

With school coming up in a few weeks, I'm going to have a lot of trouble continuing my cutting workout routine. I do cardio 5-6x a week for 40-45 min in the AM and then lift 3x a week in the PM. I do legs/shoulders, chest/tris, then back/bis and do abs on every day.

During school, I am going to have a lot of trouble maintaining that. I really feel that if I make that attempt, I'm either going to fail my classes or not be able to go every dayl. I plan on bulking in late september/early october.

In the meantime, however, what would you say the best thing for me to do, if I can only work out once a day? I think lifting 2x a week only (doing 3 groups each day) would be way too taxing on lifting days. Should I just do 3x cardio and 3x lifting?

Thanks in advance.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    I thought i would be in the same situation, but i always find time for the gym. think about it...your not going to be doing school work all the time, so on your off time make it a priority to go to the gym. if you cant go twice a day (most people cant) lift first, then do cardio after your lifting session. IF your real set on the cardio keep up with it even on your off days.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends what your goal is?? Lose fat gain strength ,muscle?? Evan 2 days a wk lifting will be okay provided your intensity is high. Just make sure the legs are on a different day than back. Work the large groups separate. This will give 1 wk rest each group but if you go and gossip & druel over the girls then its a waste of time..

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    why legs on a different day than back?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbs-rule
    why legs on a different day than back?
    Do squats, presses, extensions, then perform chins, bent rows, etc and tell me how you feel.
    Essentially they are two of the largest muscle groups in the body. Meaning they require a lot of energy, so you would be more effecient training them on seperate days.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Bingo Hyper, evan tho working legs(squats) the back is still worked but its not the primary muscle.

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Do squats, presses, extensions, then perform chins, bent rows, etc and tell me how you feel.
    Essentially they are two of the largest muscle groups in the body. Meaning they require a lot of energy, so you would be more effecient training them on seperate days.
    agree. Back and legs should never be done on the same day. I dont really like training bi's with back..but i like chest+tris so i do it.

I think youd be fine with 4-5 days a week. no?

You could run your cardio then finish off with your workout, with a small rest and meal inbetween.(protien shake etc..)
    Ive done this while cutting, but I would never recommend this on bulk or maintain.

so essentially, i should probably just do 3x cardio for like an hour and 3x lifting. I think my intensity of lifting would suffer in the long run if i lifted only 2x a week! If I had just one day where my body was feeling off, then i'd really f things up. a 3x3 week gives me more options.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Depends what your goal is?? Lose fat gain strength ,muscle?? Evan 2 days a wk lifting will be okay provided your intensity is high. Just make sure the legs are on a different day than back. Work the large groups separate. This will give 1 wk rest each group but if you go and gossip & druel over the girls then its a waste of time..

It def is my priority to go to the gym. I def do NOT study all the time, but I also would like to have SOME fun while i'm at school! I'm also part of some organizations on campus and they have a lot of the stuff at night. If I could do cardio in the AM and then lift like 2-3 hrs later I'd be alright, but I need more like 6 hrs rest. I also hate going when it's crowded, so I'd have to avoid the 6-8 pm crowd. Why does real life have to interfere with working out!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ImmmtheIceman
    I thought i would be in the same situation, but i always find time for the gym. think about it...your not going to be doing school work all the time, so on your off time make it a priority to go to the gym. if you cant go twice a day (most people cant) lift first, then do cardio after your lifting session. IF your real set on the cardio keep up with it even on your off days.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    There is all kinds of time during the day to work out, Im assuming youre at college. The rec at my school is open till 11 every nite but fri and open on weekends so theres always time to get in. Its crowded at nite, just push all the scrawny kids out of the way or tell them to continue social hour outside. Dont do your cardio after lifting, thats the worst time to do it.

i have no problem finding one time of the day to workout. at some point, however, i would really like to put some priority in my schoolwork. Working out 2x a day isn't exactly easy to maintain with a tough major.

Really what I'm asking is would 3 days cardio for an hour and 3 days of good lifting suffice for a cutting workout, as long as my diet was in check?

PS this is my 100th post

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    There is all kinds of time during the day to work out, Im assuming youre at college. The rec at my school is open till 11 every nite but fri and open on weekends so theres always time to get in. Its crowded at nite, just push all the scrawny kids out of the way or tell them to continue social hour outside. Dont do your cardio after lifting, thats the worst time to do it.

Thread Information