docflock is offline New Member

Question Critique my Workout routine

I've switched from a conventional routine (like in magazines) to this style of training. So far my strength has improved dramatically eventhough I just complete PCT on a 6 month cycle. I kept all of my strength gains from this cycle.

I. Back/Biceps

A. Deadlift:
    1. Progressive warmup with sets of 1-3 reps using working weight. Perform 1 sets for 5 reps. Every 2-3 weeks reduce number of reps by 1 and increase resistance accordingly. (i.e. week 1 & 2 = 5 reps, 3,4 & 5 = 4 reps, 6 & 7 = 3 reps, etc.)
    2. Perform 1 set of 8-10 reps plus one to 2 forced reps

B. Pull-Up: 2 sets of 5-8 reps plus 1 forced rep

C. Barbell Row: 1 sets of 5-8 reps

D. Standing E-Z Bar Curl: 2 sets of 5-8 reps + 2 forced reps
    E. Preacher Curl: 1 Sets of 5-8 reps + 2 forced reps

II. Legs

A. Squat:
    1. Progressive warmup. 1 sets of 5 reps. Drop number of reps every 2-3 weeks.
    2. Set of 8-10 reps plus one to 2 forced reps.

B. Leg Press: 2 sets of 8-10 reps plus 1 forced rep.
    C. Calves Superset: Set of Standing Calf Raise for 10 reps followed immediately by Seated Calf Raise for 10 reps.

D. Shoulder Press Machine: 2 sets of 3-5 reps plus 1 forced rep.

E. Lateral Raise: 1 sets of 6-8 reps plus 1 forced rep.

F. Upright Row: 1 sets of 6-8 reps.

G. Bent Lateral: 1 sets of 6-8 rep plus 1 forced rep.

III. CHEST/TRICEPS/ABS

A. Flat Bench
    1. Progressive warmup. 1 sets of 5 reps. Drop number of reps every 2-3 weeks.
    2. 1 Set of 8-10 reps plus 1 to 2 forced reps.
    B. Incline Hammer Press: 2 sets of 5-8 reps plus one forced rep
    C. Dips: 1 sets of 5-8 reps plus one forced rep

D. French Press: 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps plus one forced rep

E. Leg Raise: 1-2 sets to failure, 3 second pause on reps
    F. Crunch Machine: 1-2 sets of 15 reps, 3 second pause

Key Principles:
    1. Never train bodypart more than once per week
    2. Train every other day or every 3rd day
    3. Workouts should last 45-60 minutes
    4. Rest 3-4 minutes between sets, 1-2 minutes between warmup sets
    5. Stretch between sets

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Don't do forced reps... They are to hard for your body...

Quote Originally Posted by GoingBiG
    Don't do forced reps... They are to hard for your body...
    they are hard on your body when you do alot of sets. if you keep your working sets to 1 or 2, you can handle them. i have less injuries now than when i didn't do them. for me, too much volume causes injuries, not intensity.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    i think you should do heavy pull-downs for back and/or t-bar rows, those always get the blood flowing for me and will give ya a huge pump!

>>if im not mistaken, your not doing shoulders???

>>if you want a great bench routine, i will vouch it works 100%(maybe not 50lbs but atleast 20 or 30lbs your 1st time to your bench) http://www.musclemedia.com/training/...benchintro.asp

goodluck bro

i do legs after shoulders.

btw, im noticing a change in my body from this workout style. im definitely getting bigger. ive noticed my traps and shoulders are especially benefitting (noticeable difference in size) from the decreased volume and increased intensity.
    Last edited by docflock; 08-12-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    If "your strength has improved and you are definitely getting bigger," I would keep doing whatever you were doing!!!

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docflock
    they are hard on your body when you do alot of sets. if you keep your working sets to 1 or 2, you can handle them. i have less injuries now than when i didn't do them. for me, too much volume causes injuries, not intensity.
    If i do forced reps in benchpress for example i will get serious pain in my shoulders... The same in a lot of other different exercises... And i now a lot of my training partners is having the same problem... I don't think it will give you more musle/strengt doing them...

looks good bro, you got the big 3 in there, and thats all you need, but throw in a few more sets on the bench. 1-2 sets on the bench wont do too much. also, dont have your spotter do the work for you(as in, dont do too many forced reps)

i do the benches with a superslow negative, so the intensity is really high. i know what u mean with the spotter, i only utilize him when I'm stuck, sometimes i even tell him when to help me mid-set.

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Looks solid, and from what you say your progress speaks for itself.

Why are you doing so few sets for each muscle? For my bigger muscles like back, chest, and quads I like to do between 15-25 sets, and even for the smaller muscles like bi's, and tri's I do 12-15 sets. Seems like you like to go heavy with few reps. If you wanna gain some size try using a traditional pyramid routine, especially for your power lifts (flat bench, deadlifts, squats...). I do 5 sets for each: 10, 8, 6, 4 and try to get 4 again for my last set.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
    Why are you doing so few sets for each muscle? For my bigger muscles like back, chest, and quads I like to do between 15-25 sets, and even for the smaller muscles like bi's, and tri's I do 12-15 sets. Seems like you like to go heavy with few reps. If you wanna gain some size try using a traditional pyramid routine, especially for your power lifts (flat bench, deadlifts, squats...). I do 5 sets for each: 10, 8, 6, 4 and try to get 4 again for my last set.
    i tried high sets all summer with this intensity and I wound up feeling like **** and i had a host of injuries (biceps tendonitis, rotator cuff, knee, ankle) on a consistent basis. the only reason i wasn't completely overtrained and made no progress at all this summer was that I was on a cycle and that helped my recovery ability.

like i said, when i go heavy, do slow controlled negatives, and use shock techniques like rest pause, forced reps, and drop sets, I get plenty sore.

but every person has different recovery abilities. i think some people can produce greater results with more sets, but im not one of them.

Thread Information