Mr. Trenton is offline Associate Member

Question Question On Hamstring Workout???

I have a question about working hams. I'm entering a competition on June 15 and I really need to build up my hams. My quads are big and in good shape but my hams aren't. When I work my legs I do leg extensions, squats, leg presses, and hack squats. And at the end of a workout I usually work my hams, and I only do one thing, leg curls. What I wanted to know is what else I can do to work my hams, because I want to have a seperate day work my hams instead of throwing them in with quads because I'm always too tired to do them, even if I do them before quads, then it fucks up my quad workout. So, I just want to know what other exercises I can do for hams besides leg curls.

Smile

Thanks, I do the laying down leg curls and yesterday during my leg workout I tried the standing ones, but even with light weight I was having trouble doing them right. The manager at my gym told me to try the stiff leg deads, he said they're one of the best mass builder exercises for the hams.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Prioritize them by hitting them first. If you compound set the stiff leg dead lifts with the seated leg curl that will hit them even harder. I believe that lagging bodyparts have to be hit with intensity and when you're strongest. Single leg curls are great especially if one ham is weaker than the other.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I have similar problems so I move hams to after back when they are fresh.

5 sets stiff leg deads, low reps 6-8 range
    4 sets leg curls(sometimes laying sometiems standing)
    4 sets of dumbell leg curls - for this one say on bench with legs haning over end, at knee's then have someone place dumbell between you feet and curl it like leg curls, sounds lame, but this exerciese has really help me bring hams up this year.

Another tip, on leg day hit rock bottom on all exercieses and you will find your hams gets worked too.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    Hacks, Hack squats are a killer i fear that machine its evil

Diesel your my hero

Hey eye_candy, when you say rock bottom, do mean train my legs until I can't do anymore on each exercise. Diesel, I never did reverse hacks, but I do regular hacks for my quads, and I think that they are one of the hardest quad exercises to do, even with low weight, but I love to do them. Well, thanks everyone for your input, and hopefully I will be able to build up my hams in time for the show with this extra knowlegde, I really appreciate it.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    no rock bottom as when squating or leg press, get very very very low, for squats you should almost sit on calves and leg press lower until your legs are on chest.

Oh, I know what you mean, but when I do squats, no matter how little the weight is, I can't ever get that low, and I have the form, there's just some reason I can't go that low. But when I do leg press I always go to my chest no matter how heavy the weight is. Thanks.

big_guy is offline Associate Member
    trenton, A GREAT excercise for hams/glutes that i recommend is lunges. put a barbell on your back with between 135-225 depending on strength.. step out as far as u can while still keeping your balance.when u step out, make your knee TOUCH THE FLOOR, then step up and then keep going,... do this for 8 steps out, turn around and then 8 steps back in (so that's 8 steps with each leg). out and back in is 1 set.. do 4 sets of these... you'll notice a difference VERY quickly. definitely do lunges on a seperate day from quads, it will tire u out greatly... and it'll be hard to walk the next day : )

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Originally posted by Mr. Trenton
    The manager at my gym told me to try the stiff leg deads, he said they're one of the best mass builder exercises for the hams.
    Sounds like a manager who knows what he is talking about. My legs have sucked big time, but the stiff leggers are killers and finally bringing out some size. Go light till you get the movement down. When I was doing just leg curls, I would get nothing the next day. Now I do em with stiff leggers and get DOMS everytime.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Mr. Trenton
    Thanks, I do the laying down leg curls and yesterday during my leg workout I tried the standing ones, but even with light weight I was having trouble doing them right. The manager at my gym told me to try the stiff leg deads, he said they're one of the best mass builder exercises for the hams.
    I agree with the gym manager, SLDL's are the best to develop the hammys and the glutes get a benefit too.

Thanks guys, I'll try them out the next time I do hams.

saint808 is offline Associate Member
    In the latest testosterone magazine there is a killer article on ham's... you should pick it up.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    SLDL's are the way to go. But do them from either a raised platform to get that extra stretch. Or use heavy DB's or small plates on the BB. The reason for this is the smaller plates you the BB and DB's make you use a longer stretch in place of a raised platform.
    Remember not to pull with your back, so keep your abs tight and keep your head looking up.
    After this do heavy leg curls, and if you have a standing leg curl do them too. They hit your hams completely different to anything else for some reason. I love them.

Bouncer

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    SLDL's are the way to go. But do them from either a raised platform to get that extra stretch. Or use heavy DB's or small plates on the BB. The reason for this is the smaller plates you the BB and DB's make you use a longer stretch in place of a raised platform.
    Remember not to pull with your back, so keep your abs tight and keep your head looking up.
    After this do heavy leg curls, and if you have a standing leg curl do them too. They hit your hams completely different to anything else for some reason. I love them.

Bouncer
    Great advice Bouncer, yes make sure to do them on the platform. Also do something else.....

MAKE SURE YOU BEND THE KNEES A BIT !!!!!

Dude, bend the kness and do not lock them out, if you do and you are using a good size weight, you are asking for a knee problem promptly ! Besides I have noticed I hit the hammys and glutes more if I bend the knees !

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Yes, I agree. Great advice Bouncer.

youko is offline New Member
    just split ure leg day,my routine for example is 5on 2off ,on monday id work my quads with deep squats then 90degree squats then hacks,the nest day is do stiff leg deadlifts then legs curls or vice versa,,,,i think that without stiff leg deadlifts u dont have the best ham wourkout and doing stiff leg deadlifts on the same day as squats and all that is to mutch to handle and ull trie to get throught it rather than doing it right,,,,so basicaly all im saying is that u should consider 2 training secions for ure lower body

Thread Information