NightOp is offline Member

Strength gains are faster than size gains

Ok, I train naturally and have been for about 2 years serious... I have read a great deal about training and BB, and have a moderate amount of knowledge overall in regard to all this. I make strength gains virtually every week, I love my routine and the methods I use to continue growing, however lately I've noticed that the size isn't really coming along at the same speed that the strength is.... I eat properly (six meals a day) and like I said, I keep getting stronger (sometimes slowly... but Im happy to be gainin stregth) but it just feels like I should be adding more mass.... I realize that once you get a point mass gains become much smaller and harder to get, but I don't really think I've hit that point yet ("natural potential" as some ppl call it) Do any of you have this problem?

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    If you're making gains then you're not platauing. That's good. I am the same way and I've been training for 18 years. What I've begun to do lately is increase my training volume every other workout. For example, If I perform bench on Monday, I'll do my normal 12,10,8,6 pyramid workout and go on to inclines or flyes. However the next chest workout I'll plan 10 sets of 10 with a weight that allows me to finish each set without a spot. And I set my total goals to outperform my total. This week my goal was to complete 21,500 lbs of bench which was 10 sets of 10 @215 lbs. The shear volume has made a difference in my growth and the first few times I did this kind of routine I was pretty sore. Implement that with each bodypart and see how you like it. Let me know also.

Ok, I see what you mean, and yes I'm very glad to be able to continually gain strength... I do plataeu (can't spell) sometimes but I break through em everytime by various methods. Your increase of volume sounds good, but I don't really know how I could fit that into my routine...

I basically go for an eight week stretch or "natural cycle" using a double progression method per set... For example on military press, I pick a weight I can barely do 7 reps of w/o help for my first set. Rest 2 mins and then move onto set 2, 3, 4 going to isometric failure each time. Well, next workout I use the same starting weight for my first set (the weight I could get 7 times barely) and I will usually be able to get it 8 or 9 times..... next workout I use the same weight again for my first set and I continue doing this until I hit a workout that I can get 12 reps of that same weight.. Once i reach that point, I add enough weight for the next workout so that I can only get it 7 times, and I start all over with the same process... I LOVE THIS METHOD, it works wonders for strength because your body never has a chance to adapt to the routine, yet you don't have to constantly change exercises and all that... Once I get to a point where the reps won't increase with a given weight, I go two weeks using different rest times, sets, and even concentric failure and negative failure (need a good spotter of course).. this usually squeezes a few more weeks of growth out of the "cycle"... Then I take a four day rest and to a two week maintenence period where I use weights that I don't fail on any set. This lets my body fully growth and get used to less effort... Then I start another 8-10 week growth period using the beforementioned double progressive method... I really don't want to mess up this routine cuz I have tried everything and this works wonders for me, period.... I think that I might use your volume idea once at the end of a "cycle" to get help sweeze out more growth before the rest/maintenance period... I also think that maybe my prob is somthing that cannot be helped and I just need to be even more patient for the faster size gains.. thnx for your help bro.

youko is offline New Member
    it all depends on how ure training, notice how powerlifters are stronger yet less muscular,theres actually a reason for this and i know it goes agaisnt common sence but theres a difference between training for size and training for strength

to train for strength take 5min breaks between ure sets and stay around 4 rep range ,give or take and try to explode the weight up as fast as posible to activate all the fast twitch fibers at once

to train for size try to recuperate only 80percent of ure powers between sets and stick to about 10 to 12 reps with a medium pace

whats gona happen wen u do strenght training u actually increase muscle fiber size and u teach ure body how to activate the max amount of fibers at once,this is good for a hard look and also for striations(so theres many benifites for bodybuilders by doing powerlifting)

wen u train for size what happens is ure body adapts by storing more glycogen in order to give ure fast twitch fibers more stamina,notice 10,12 reps low rest between sets,ull challenge ure recuparative powers yet train heavy enought to stimulate the fast twitch fibers thefore u will store more glycogen ,the disadvantage of training like this thought is that u can get a soft look,cause ure muscle are actually softer(quantaty vs qualaty),yet 99percent of bodybuilder use this method ONLY

notice how bodybuilders preach about going to failure and getting a good pump and bringing up intesity,well a good pump is what ull get if u train for size since ure body is trying to restore glycogen for ure next sets(thats all it is)

yet notice how powerlifters rarely go to failure and dont acheive geat pumps,doesnt mean the training is less efective it just means its different because it will give different benifites,u wont get a great pump since ure not exausting ure muscles but u will get good strenth and ure sore as hell the next day

train how i listed above for size bud but wen u hit a plateau dont do principles like going lighter and futher exausting ure muscles cause ull dig urself a hole,go to powerlifting and increase ure muscle fiber size then store glycogen within them by training for size

powerlifting is the best way to get out of a plateau

youko

youko, thnx alot bro, VERY helpful and informative

Socio is offline Associate Member
    Nightop you will find that gains of your intrest come in spurts ....
    i gained a HUGE amount of mass naturally the year before last (alot of you wont belive the amount i gained) and spent a large part of last yr dieting off bfat and slight size increases ... and now have a smaller mass spurt again so just be patient it will come.
    How old r u?

okay, thanks.. bout to turn 20 (all natural though, and will be for some time probably).

Socio is offline Associate Member
    spurts bro .. just keeping training the way you are maybe start pounding down some more cals ... i am atm and i am now 6lbs heavier than 2 weeks ago ... (not all muscle obviously)
    i tend to put on weight easy though
    let me know how u go.

will do

Thread Information