AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member

Flyes: Shoulder and back position

When I bench i pinch my shoulder blades together and arch my back. I Also do the same on flyes and pec dec. But sometims those shoulders still wanna come forward, especially on pec dec. I don't see other people trying to keep their shoulder blades pinched and they are huge sometimes.
    I used to not pinch my back on anything when i was a young dumbass. However, when i started to pinch my shoulder blades i felt more sore in my pecs, which is good.When on the pec dec it just seems impossible to keep the back pinced the whole time. Right at the end they still wanna come forward.Perhaps i should only pinch my back a little when doing flyes and pec dec?
    Last edited by AnabolicBoy1981; 08-18-2004 at 08:04 PM.

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    why do flyers and pec dec?

i don't do both in the same workout. I pick one or the other.

IMO flyers is waste of time... You can't train with big weights when you are doing flyers, so they won't stimulate growth as good as benchpress...

another thing is that flyers ain't good for your shoulders...

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I totally have to respectively disagree with Going Big. Flies are great & saying they will not stimulate growth is misleading. Yes I agree the bench is granddaddy of mass but performing flies can stimulate different fibers with the stretch & contraction squezze. My best body part is my chest be far and flies are part of the reason. And bad on shoulders hell if you do bench with heavy weight and too far wide grip is worse on the shoulders than flies . If you do not believe me than just look at all the pro's and see if they do not perform flies..you wont find one..

Well i bench also. but back to my question. as far as the technique guys, whatya think?

Basically your back should be only slightly arched if at all. But sometimes when doing flies you can arch to get a really good stretch. Regarding pinching your shoulder blades I a little confused on what you are trying to say. If you mean squezzing the pecs then the shoulders might come forward slightly. If you are getting sore from one way of doing it(not a pain) then its working for you and see no problem continuing. Also arching back is depends on what you are trying to do ie. isolating the muscle or power lifting..

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I'm reading what he's saying to mean scapula retraction like you would do on a bench press (assuming you have any technique). I wouldn't bother with squeezing your shoulder blades together too much with flyes or pec dec. Just do the movement slowly and controlled in the path that feels most natural.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Basically your back should be only slightly arched if at all. But sometimes when doing flies you can arch to get a really good stretch. Regarding pinching your shoulder blades I a little confused on what you are trying to say. If you mean squezzing the pecs then the shoulders might come forward slightly. If you are getting sore from one way of doing it(not a pain) then its working for you and see no problem continuing. Also arching back is depends on what you are trying to do ie. isolating the muscle or power lifting..

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    I totally have to respectively disagree with Going Big. Flies are great & saying they will not stimulate growth is misleading. Yes I agree the bench is granddaddy of mass but performing flies can stimulate different fibers with the stretch & contraction squezze. My best body part is my chest be far and flies are part of the reason. And bad on shoulders hell if you do bench with heavy weight and too far wide grip is worse on the shoulders than flies . If you do not believe me than just look at all the pro's and see if they do not perform flies..you wont find one..
    I didn't say that flies won't stimulate growth i said it's not as good as benchpress...

Why are people thinking pro BBs are doing all the right thinks... You can't compare a normal human being with a pro...

Not busting your balls Goingbig I knew you would come back saying you did not say that flies won't stimulate pecs but your 1st words were "flies is a waste of time". Reading between the lines that does say it will not stimulate. Pro BB's are also human last I knew yes perhaps better genectics but hard work & for them they would not do a exercise if it was a waste of time as thats what they do for a living. Having got that off my chest we both agree about the bench press. Peace out.

IMO flyers is waste of time...

You can't train with big weights when you are doing flyers, so they won't stimulate growth as good as benchpress...
    So i didn't say that flyers doesn't stimulate growth!!!

Pros often do a lot of failure sets to, that's not good... And pros are doing a lot of roids, HGH etc... So what pors are doing isn't the best way of doing things... This is my view on these things...

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You cannot train as heavy with flyes because you have a longer moment arm, however, just because the weight in hand is not as heavy, does not mean that the muscle is not under the same or even more torque due to the principles of biomechanics.

So basically my shouldrs should not be the same in flyes as if i'm benching. ok.

I knew something was up, because it did feel somewhat unnatural towards the end of the fly movemnt to be trying to keep my shoulders squezed.

Thread Information