doby48 is offline Female Member

Workout to Failure Issues

Ok, I have seen it posted several times recently that it is never good to workout till failure. I'm not sure if it is the same person preaching this or several people are saying the same thing. However, when it is posted I never see the logic behind this, would someone please enlighten me?

I do some exercises to failure like bench but others like lat pulls I do not. The reason for this is because after I have reached a certain point I can continue to do lat pulls but begin working just about every muscle EXCEPT my back. This is just me and others may not have this issue. I am just looking for the logic behind why some people say that working to failure is NEVER a good idea...
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Here is a article about failure:

http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/training/failure.html

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Thanks for the link... Primarily the article is opinion but does include some insight to this issue. So based on the information in this articale anyways, for someone to say that to train to failure is never a good idea would be an inaccurate statement. This article shows that training to failure is an option that does in fact work form some people but claims that a person could also get the same gains from not going to failure.

So really it seems the answer is back to what I originally thought... Working out till failure is just another method that will work for some and will not be ideal for others. Right along the lines of rest pauses, negatives, drop sets, pyramiding, etc.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    no matter what techniques you use, get plenty of rest inbetween the work outs and make sure your body has recovered, i would say thats the main thing, i think i've even read somewhere that some ppl who train to failure, have actually gained more mass, than those who didn't, but the ppl who did not train to failure gained more strength.i believe it was in men's health, i thought that was interesting, but liek you said, training to failure may work for others, and not necessarily for you

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Well... So here is how i look on it

IMO failure is a good thing as long as your aren't doing it often...

Going to failure is estremly hard for your joints(your CNS? won't recover as quick as your muscles) and as you read in the article failure isn't necessary to stimulate growth so why do it?!

But I said it could be a good thing... IMO failure can be used in the end of a cycle....
    example if your are doing a 10 week cycle it's ok going to failure in the 10th week... IF you are planning to deload in the 11th week....

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    i have to agree with one dude said about the arnold theory-it is the last 3-4 reps that make the muscles grow.

i have been training to failure since i was 14 years old and am currently 18. my bench max has jumped from 85 pounds to 330 pounds. basicall when i was 14, 15, 16, i lifted really stupid and did not know what the hell i was doing until i was 17. it has taken me a little over a year to go from 220-330. the whole time taking just about every set to failure.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Regardless of the link, training to failure can shock the CNS the important thing is full recovery and not overload to failure everytime you hit the gym. Personally if I have a spotter then I will go to failure the last set only.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Regardless of the link, training to failure can shock the CNS the important thing is full recovery and not overload to failure everytime you hit the gym. Personally if I have a spotter then I will go to failure the last set only.
    i agree with blue thunder. I go one to two reps prior to failure for my sets, except for the last when i go until I cant lift the weight anymore. Thats why I have much better workouts when I have a spotter.

Thread Information