Elysium is offline Productive Member

Need some help, advice on exercise for certain muscles

Hey guys, i have big biceps, my triceps are good, and my forearms are good to i would say, what i need to work on is my traps, any advice?

I mean i really like working out on chest, arms etc, but ive never found an exercise that keeps me going sort of thing, that i really get into.

So, i need some harcore exercises for traps.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i like supersetting barbell shrugs with behind the back barbell shrugs. Youll need to lower the weight a little but i find i get a good burn.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    wont shrugs do that other muscle, between ure neck and ure shoulder, forget the name of it now.

what kind of weight would u do shrugs with, in kg?

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    shrugs work your traps. I dont use much weight, about 90-100kgs for the first superset then about 110 front, 90-100 rear. I focus more on the contraction, trying to get my shoulders almost to my ears. I hold it at the top before i lower. Works ok for me, but i train traps the same day as back so i have already done deads etc. Alternatively (for the moment anyway) due to injuring my back slightly i have been using the universal style bp machine for shrugs.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Shrugs both bar &db,upright rows close grip,& deads. And some delts exercise work them too.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Bassicly, when you do any DB lateral raise (Front, side, or bent over), if you go above shoulder level, you'll be using the traps to get the shoulder girdle up.
    Messy UK, just to make sure, you're not confussing traps and triceps are you?

Iowa is offline Banned
    Heavy deadlifts work the best for me.

LM1332 Guest
    traps go from neck to shoulders and down the back. Thats the whole muscle

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    you could do dumbell drop sets to make them really burn.Start off with the heaviest dumbell you can handle for about 6 good reps and then just keep dropping it down,do about 3 or 4 sets like this and they will burn.Whe i started out i had no traps so i did these like 2 or 3 times a wk. and they grew great.

rocco78 is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure if you meant traps or delts. Follow Prime's advice for traps, and for delts, I've found I can't beat Military Presses (front, I don't think back works as well, and puts more strain on your lower back)

dotNet is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyMechanic
    you could do dumbell drop sets to make them really burn.Start off with the heaviest dumbell you can handle for about 6 good reps and then just keep dropping it down,do about 3 or 4 sets like this and they will burn.Whe i started out i had no traps so i did these like 2 or 3 times a wk. and they grew great.
    more than once, I've read high-rep sets are better for traps ... I prefer low rep sets myself but have been doing high-rep sets based on that advice ... what have been others' experiences?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    High reps work best for me. I do minimum of 12 reps. I guess locking out at the top of a dead lift is like doing low rep heavy training for traps.

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Deads, shrugs, overhead shrugs, and my new favorite= hang cleans in the power rack.

Thread Information