Beernutz is offline Member

How to gradually increase intensity???

Ive been reading alot lately on gradually increasing intensity but im a little confused on how to do so. Lets say Joe blow did 200lbs on a bench press for 8 reps, then rested for 1min and did another 7 reps with the same weight and so on how would that guy increase his intensity for the next workout? If Joe blow did 200lbs for 8 reps then rested 45 seconds instead of 1min would that be considered an increase in intensity? I hope someone can clarify this with me..

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Joe blow 200lbs 8 reps,then rested 45sec vs.1min ,yes that is a increase of intensity. Basically, you either increase weight,decrease rest interval or both is intensity.

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    that would be increasing intensity but i think you get to a point where you can't increase it anymore,and you just have to match it in every workout,whether it be going heavy as you can with low reps or doing supersets or drop sets.I think when you get to this high level of intensity in the gym you just need to maintain it all the time.

xenithon is offline Member
    Hi There,

I have found for certain bodyparts that to get intensity I need to do dropsets or supersets. For example - back I don't have a problem with as exercises like deadlift and rows take it all out of me so the intensity is always there. Shoulders on the other hand are different - often when I have completed something like dumbbell/military press I don't feel that insane intensity as I do with deads or squats. I thus superset it with seated laterals. I have tried less rest, more weight (to a limit due to a shoulder injury) etc. but the intensity I only feel with the supersets. I personally can't stand going to the gym and training hard and ending up not feeling as if I had trained which is how I used to feel without supersets.

Beernutz is offline Member
    thanks guys....just needed to clear that up

pspcs83 is offline Junior Member
    changing the order of lifts in your workout can also be considered a change of intensity.

Thread Information