Flexor is offline Banned

Different forms of lying extensions

Sorry if this is a bit long

I've heard conflicting sources on lying triceps extensions.

Some internet sites say perform them so that you lower the bar to your forehead, keeping your upper arms and shoulder joint stationary.

Others say perform them by bending your upper arm resulting in a slight flexion of the shoulder joint so that the bar is lowered past the head for a more complete movement.

Would the former exercise result in less stress on the rotator cuff than the latter? If so, is this the best way to perform lying extensions, or is it worth bringing the bar past your head to really hit the lat, med and long heads.

The thing is I have had a niggling problem in my right shoulder for about two weeks now which presented itself as a slight anterior pain in my clicking right shoulder while performing underhand chins through a full ROM. I am taking a week break at the moment, and I just hope doing lying extensions won't aggravate the problem again when I think it has gone away. One thing is for sure I'm not doing those chins again, its the shoulder extension that seems to kill my right joint but not the left. I'll probably go back to pulldowns for the lats, its just at the time I was trying to build the lats and biceps in one workout being strapped for time with other things

Any points would be appreciated, cheers

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Sorry if this is a bit long

I've heard conflicting sources on lying triceps extensions.

Some internet sites say perform them so that you lower the bar to your forehead, keeping your upper arms and shoulder joint stationary.

Others say perform them by bending your upper arm resulting in a slight flexion of the shoulder joint so that the bar is lowered past the head for a more complete movement.

Would the former exercise result in less stress on the rotator cuff than the latter? If so, is this the best way to perform lying extensions, or is it worth bringing the bar past your head to really hit the lat, med and long heads.

The thing is I have had a niggling problem in my right shoulder for about two weeks now which presented itself as a slight anterior pain in my clicking right shoulder while performing underhand chins through a full ROM. I am taking a week break at the moment, and I just hope doing lying extensions won't aggravate the problem again when I think it has gone away. One thing is for sure I'm not doing those chins again, its the shoulder extension that seems to kill my right joint but not the left. I'll probably go back to pulldowns for the lats, its just at the time I was trying to build the lats and biceps in one workout being strapped for time with other things

Any points would be appreciated, cheers
    Not sure if I got the ? right but Ill give it a shot.

You want to know which variation would be safest on your R/c?

I would have to say with your upper arm perpendicular with the floor " l ", but If i was you I would try many variations and see which is most comfertable.

As far as best mass builder, I prefer Decline Skulls, helps with ROM, and keeps tension on your tris(helps keep your arm " / ").

doby48 is offline Female Member
    The reason you will find some sites saying to do it one way and others saying to do it another way is personal preference and flexability. Some people can go farther than others but if it is uncomfortable for you to do them that way then don't go down as far. Your results should be as good either way, its just a ROM issue really.

Second thing, if you have had a shoulder injury and it is difficult to do these, I have found that doing these with dumbbells instead of a barbell works better. I injured my shoulder several years ago and some exercises I have difficulty doing with barbell still and the dumbells help to build muscle without causing pain.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Thread Information