Thread: How many reps?

K Dawg is offline New Member

Question How many reps?

How many reps does everyone consider optimal for gaining mass? I would like to get bigger, especially in the arms, but i've heard a few different things...I've heard 4-6 reps is ideal for mass building, but i've also heard 10-12 is the best...what do you guys consider the right amount?
    I usually do:
    Biceps
    concentration curls (wide and narrow grip)
    preacher curls
    hammer curls
    reverse curls

triceps
    skullcrushers
    pulldowns
    close grip bench
    weighted dips

any feedback is appreciated.thanks

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    WELCOME TO AR BRO, ENJOY.

This should help.

2-6 Strenght
    7-9 Mass Bulk
    10-13 To Lean Out
    15 Quick Cut

I would go with 8 if I was you.

Mallet is offline Anabolic Member
    I find pyramiding does wonders and gives you an overall muscle stimulation...

If your doing 4 sets then do 1 warmup set followed by a set of 10 reps...then increase the weight and do 8 reps...then add more weight and do 6 reps...and finally add some more weight and do 4 reps...or go to failure on your last set!

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    right on GenuinePL

and i like what Mallet said about pyramiding

try both for a bout 2 months and see which one you like better

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    One final point to think about is your body type. If you have a higher amount of fast twitch (type I) muscle fibers then your strengths will be with the higher reps/volume. If on the other hand you're primarily slow twitch (type II) then your strengths will be in the low rep/volume range. Most people have a good balance of fibers and so the 6-10 reps would work on the mass. But I've trained with guys who have almost no type I fibers and if we get over 8 reps they fall apart and take a long time to recover for the next set. Further there is some evidence that pure volume encourages as much growth as the heavy loads. Try a variety of reps and sets, stagger your heavy load/ higher joint stress workouts, and you'll find your range.

Mr. Trenton is offline Associate Member
    I agree with GenuinePL, I would recommend trying to get at least 8 reps. By doing 4-6 reps isn't really building mass, thats good for strength. I used to do 4-6 reps on like every exercise when I did my heaviest sets but then the only thing that would happen is I would get stronger but not really that much bigger. When I train my bi's I try to get at least 8 reps on my heaviest set and somewhere around 10-12 on my lighter sets. And I basically do the same thing with tri's too, except when I do close grip bench, try to get like 6-8 reps because this exercise is primarily a mass builder and I don't to go over 8 reps, because then I won't be building as much mass.

K Dawg is offline New Member
    Thanks for the answers guys...i think im going to try a few more reps into the routine, while pyramiding...a warm up and then going 12-10-8 reps while increasing in weight. Hopefully i'll see some mass gain here in the next few months.

Thread Information