Paingain is offline Banned

narrowing my grip for a fuller chest??

I'm desperately trying to get my chest to grow more. My chest is strong, it's currently 47", but it just doesnt have a pumped appearance that I want. When I bench, I usually go with my forefinger on the ring of the olympic bar,I can go alot heavier like this. Would narrowing my grip to maybe like pinky on the ring make any difference in the appearance of my chest??? Thanks guys.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    The more narrow you get the more you will employ your triceps. I think slightly wider than shoulder width works best for me

Da Underboss is offline New Member
    I had the same problem, I was strong as ****, but just could not put any size on my chest. I switched up my routine, and saw results pretty quickly.

Basicly I work my chest once every five days, so I broke my chest workout down into two types, I did one, then did the other five days later. I tried to keep one day really heavy, so I didn't lose my strenght, and one day with reps, and really tearing into my pecs.

Day One - HEAVY
    Flat Bench 5 sets @ 10, 8, 6, 3, 1 Reps
    Incline 4 sets @ 8, 6, 3, 1 Reps
    Decline 4 sets @ 8, 6, 3, 1 Reps <--- Really Go Heavy on Decline!
    Flat Bench Two Burnout Sets of a moderate weight try to get 10-15 reps (Usually I'm So fried by the end of this, my partners helping me with the last four)

Chest Day Two - Reps (Do after normal wait between chest workouts)
    Flat Dumbells 3 sets of ten, pushing hard on all three
    Flat Dumbell Flyes 3 sets of ten, FORM IS KEY, pretend to be hugging a big ass tree, and go slow, so many people go too heavy and cheat, its too easy to cheat on this exercise so do a weight you can rip up your chest with
    Incline Dumbells 3 sets
    Incline Flyes 3 sets
    Decline Dumbells 3 sets
    Decline Flyes 3 sets <--- Squeeze them out, and go until you fail on the last set.

Alot of guys will suggest putting dips, or pullovers after your heavy workout, instead of doing burnouts. I can say this may help, I choose not to do it, and saw very good results with this routine. I also worked my legs and back out crazy mad style, I seem to grow only when all of my body is growing.

Good Luck Bro, any questions PM me!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    No narrowing grip will not help too much. Try adding cable movements where you can get a full stretch while maintaining constant tension.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by Paingain
    I'm desperately trying to get my chest to grow more. My chest is strong, it's currently 47", but it just doesnt have a pumped appearance that I want. When I bench, I usually go with my forefinger on the ring of the olympic bar,I can go alot heavier like this. Would narrowing my grip to maybe like pinky on the ring make any difference in the appearance of my chest??? Thanks guys.

sounds odd, but I would suggest a decline bench to a incline db press both to failure.

The reason why I say odd, is the decline bench grew the hell outta my upper chest, to where people commented.

It was close grip or like you mentioned to a db fly or press incline.

Just try decline for a while tho, you should be able to go really heavy on decline.

good luck mang

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    No narrowing grip will not help too much. Try adding cable movements where you can get a full stretch while maintaining constant tension.

I disagree, try narrowing your grip for a little while. It should hit more towards the center of the chest, rather than the outer chest that you get with a wide grip. Switch it up every other time you work chest, use a closer grip on chest workout 1 and a wider grip on chest workout 2.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    True a more narrow grip does work the inner region however, he is taking about way too close grip (I think). Besides the question was overall mass of chest. But I totally do agree with big poppa regarding using both grips.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    The more narrow you get the more you will employ your triceps. I think slightly wider than shoulder width works best for me
    This is relative of course:
    Very wide -> mostly shoulder exercise
    Very narrow -> mostly triceps exercise
    Medium wide -> mostly chest

I get the best "feeling" in my chest with my pinky finger just inside the ring.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
    I disagree, try narrowing your grip for a little while. It should hit more towards the center of the chest, rather than the outer chest that you get with a wide grip. Switch it up every other time you work chest, use a closer grip on chest workout 1 and a wider grip on chest workout 2.
    I agree. Its all about variety. I hear a wider grip is better to bring out your chest, but if youve been doing that already a closer grip may help.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    how many lbs have you put on your chest in the last month for real?

and you may be overtraining, that may be the reason...remember that the more you do doesn't mean the more you'll grow! what's your current routine look like?

Thread Information