kboxer is offline Junior Member

How does this 3 day routine look

Found it on bodybuilding.com Looks tough but doing it 3 days a week the focus and intensity would be great. Maybe even up the reps a little, throw things in every other week. This leaves me more time to do cardio and train MMA. I have been doing 1 bodypart a day once a week for a while.

mon-wo 1
    wed- wo 2
    fri- wo3

Workout #1
    Squats 5x5
    Flat bench 5x5
    Chins 5x5
    Dips 5x5

Workout #2
    Deads 5x5
    Mlitary press 5x5
    Barbell curls 5x5
    Close grip bench 5x5

Workout #3
    Squats 5x5
    Incline press 5x5
    Curls 5x5
    Bent over rows 5x5

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    the workout is interesting, but looks like it would take a toll on the body with doing deads and squats so much

I have to give it a go. Maybe leg press instead of squat, or do a 12-10-8-6-4 pyramid. I may also throw supersets in the mix. I hate every mon I do chest and feel like I wanted to do shoulders and tris. I can get that pump I want here. I may take deads out altogether. I am still revising it. 20 sets should be good though. ANyone else, input please.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    look up doggcrapp training you might like it!

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I think that you would be better off with a monday, thursday, tuesday, friday scheme.

I'd choose 2 exercizes at most per workout to use the 5x5 in. The other exercizes can be 2 sets of failure, or whatever you choose. In programs like this, because of the frrequency of workouts, it is best to limit volume in terms of sets.

Do you have the 5x5s laid out in a traditional 16 week progression?

I personally like to do around 20 sets for bigger muscles like chest, back, and quads, and 12-15 sets for smaller muscles like bi's and tri's. I personally don't think 5 sets is enough to sufficiently train a muscle group. I typically like to use some form of a pyramid routine, usually 10-8-6-4 and then try to get 4 again with the same weight for my last set. If you can only make it to the gym 3 days a week, I'd try something more like this: M-chest/tri's, W-back/bi's, F-shoulders/legs. Thats just my opinion though, I'm sure you can find 1000 people who will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
    I personally like to do around 20 sets for bigger muscles like chest, back, and quads, and 12-15 sets for smaller muscles like bi's and tri's. I personally don't think 5 sets is enough to sufficiently train a muscle group. I typically like to use some form of a pyramid routine, usually 10-8-6-4 and then try to get 4 again with the same weight for my last set. If you can only make it to the gym 3 days a week, I'd try something more like this: M-chest/tri's, W-back/bi's, F-shoulders/legs. Thats just my opinion though, I'm sure you can find 1000 people who will disagree.

As long as you eat and sleep enough, you can grow on just about any program. I just prefer to do as little as possible. I'm in and out in an hour.

Different strokes I guess.

I was looking for some good input on this subject. I want to train in mma and stay big. I dont have hours a day so 3 days of weights and 3 days of mma. My main focus is my shoulders and tris. I want to blow them the hell out. I need something to get big or at least maintain. I figured the less I am in ther more time to grow. Anybody else got anything in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    I think that you would be better off with a monday, thursday, tuesday, friday scheme.

I'd choose 2 exercizes at most per workout to use the 5x5 in. The other exercizes can be 2 sets of failure, or whatever you choose. In programs like this, because of the frrequency of workouts, it is best to limit volume in terms of sets.

Do you have the 5x5s laid out in a traditional 16 week progression?
    I refer you to this. With 3 days of MMA, I think that this may even be too much. Keep your carbs up.

I know guys like Randleman and Waterman must juice all the time. Those guys have bodybuilding physiques. I am striving to be in that shape when I fight. Plus I love the intimidation factor. Nose to nose with one of those guys I am going to wonder how much power is in that punch. Maybe I will have to stik with 2 days of MMA right now. But both are very important to me.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Keeping the same format, I would set it up so you squat, dead, and bench each once per week and always on a minimum of a days rest. A workload like this should allow you alot of room for intense MMA training which I am assuming is your primary focus. I would start with a 5x5 scheme and adjust from there, but only downwards. Add exercises if you need to increase the workload.

Day #1 - Monday
    Squat
    Stiff leg dead
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Calf raise

Day #2 - Wednesday
    Bench
    Military press
    Dips
    Skullcrusher

Day #3 - Friday
    Deadlift
    Chin up
    Barbell or dumbell row
    Shrugs or farmers walk
    Bicep curl

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Day #3 - Friday
    Deadlift
    Chin up
    Barbell or dumbell row
    Shrugs or farmers walk
    Bicep curl
    I like how you put my farmers walk in there

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Your thread on farmer's walks got me thinking I haven't been doing them for a couple of months and it's a great time to fit them in again. Good thing you brought it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    I like how you put my farmers walk in there

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    What is MMA?

How close are you to your max?

I would make a light day....

MMA is mixed martial arts. Today I did delts and then went and trained and I am fried. I could hold another 30lbs of muscle naturally. Bench around 400, shoulder press 300. I dont squat or do deads heavy. May start though.

Anybody else

Guys anybody doing the sae type of workout please post it. thanks

Thread Information