Thread: Buying a belt

Prime is offline Naturally perfect

Buying a belt

Well i once said i would never wear a belt, but due to an injury i have come to realise that my back just doesnt like having to put up with squats and deadlifts only a few days apart. I have worna leather belt before but find it creates lots of pressure in my groinal area under the belt. Do you guys think i should get one of those neoprene, velcro clip belts or just another leather one?

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I own an Inzer. I love it.

Aboot is offline Banned
    I've tried several belts but always return to my thick powerlifting leather one. Keep in mind that I hate wearing a belt at all times. The key, for me at least, is only using it on squats and deadlifts, and then only on my heaviest sets.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I have both but mostly use Schiek velcro . Which you can adjust better then holes.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    velco is best investment

Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    Well i once said i would never wear a belt, but due to an injury i have come to realise that my back just doesnt like having to put up with squats and deadlifts only a few days apart. I have worna leather belt before but find it creates lots of pressure in my groinal area under the belt. Do you guys think i should get one of those neoprene, velcro clip belts or just another leather one?

First, don't train on an injury like that. Working your core muscles and rehabing the injury is your best bet. I think that in the squat, a extremely tight belt has SOME ability to buffer injury. Really, the purpose most use the belt for is to lift more weight by creating artificial stability in the abdomen. It is entirely possible to lift max poundages safely without supporting gear so long as the core is trained accordingly. The poundages will just be less.

I would advise against using the belt habitualy. Instead, I would suggest that you take a break, drop your poundages, and rehabilitate from the injury. Secondly, I think that you should pick either the squat or deadlift and focus on it. The deadlift in particular is a movement that can be done as little as once every few months, and outstanding gains may still be made. In between DLs, do SLDLs, TBDLs, rack deads above and below the knee, revearse hypers, hip abbduction and adduction, as well as heavy core movements. I don't think there is an 800lb deadlifter on the planet that does them more than once a month.

Happy training.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    First, don't train on an injury like that. Working your core muscles and rehabing the injury is your best bet. I think that in the squat, a extremely tight belt has SOME ability to buffer injury. Really, the purpose most use the belt for is to lift more weight by creating artificial stability in the abdomen. It is entirely possible to lift max poundages safely without supporting gear so long as the core is trained accordingly. The poundages will just be less.

I would advise against using the belt habitualy. Instead, I would suggest that you take a break, drop your poundages, and rehabilitate from the injury. Secondly, I think that you should pick either the squat or deadlift and focus on it. The deadlift in particular is a movement that can be done as little as once every few months, and outstanding gains may still be made. In between DLs, do SLDLs, TBDLs, rack deads above and below the knee, revearse hypers, hip abbduction and adduction, as well as heavy core movements. I don't think there is an 800lb deadlifter on the planet that does them more than once a month.

Happy training.
    some good advice, but I have already reworked my routein around my injury. I pulled something in my back. Well after this week ill have had three weeks off working the lower back. I was just wondering on the belt for future use in the squat on my final set. I hate the idea of relying on one so i wouldnt be using it for anything more then the minimum. Will be dropping the use of straps for the deadlift when i start to rehabilitate anyway.

Will be dropping the use of straps for the deadlift when i start to rehabilitate anyway.

That in itself, is a VERY good idea. It brings a whole new factor into play with the deadlift, which IMO is the most musclular inclusive movement there is.

flexin-rph is offline Member
    I love my Schiek belt.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont use one at all..................yet

ok i looked at the schiek belts, they look great, but to have one imported is going to cost me $80 which i cant afford so looking closer to home i have found two alternatives. Which would you guys pick?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying a belt-belt.jpg   Buying a belt-belt2.jpg  

Aboot is offline Banned
    ok i looked at the schiek belts, they look great, but to have one imported is going to cost me $80 which i cant afford so looking closer to home i have found two alternatives. Which would you guys pick?

The one on the left.

how tight do you wear one. Last time (over a year ago) i would do make it as tight as i posssibly could, which left me struggling to breath after my set. Having never been given any advice or anything i really dont know.

Aboot is offline Banned
    how tight do you wear one. Last time (over a year ago) i would do make it as tight as i posssibly could, which left me struggling to breath after my set. Having never been given any advice or anything i really dont know.
    You should be wearing it as tight as possible as that will give you the most support. The breathing problem is natural as your restricting the movement of your diaphragm. I just put it out right before my set, and take it off as quickly as possible. It shouldn't be overly comfortable.

ok cheers for the info.

Swellin Guest
    I bought one from titan, and I love it! The only problem is it took four weeks for them to get it to me. It was built to my measurements, and they even had my name on the tag.

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    I bought one from titan, and I love it! The only problem is it took four weeks for them to get it to me. It was built to my measurements, and they even had my name on the tag.
    A Swellin belt nice! very

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    I use my competition belt for my heavy squats and deads even tho I know I shouldnt. You should just get one of those cheesy thin leather training belts you will strengthen your abs and lower back more that way and get more out of it when it does come time to put on that 5 lb comp belt.

Thread Information