dirtybrit55 is offline Member

Hands-Up if you love barbell lunges!!

I have always been a fan of squats, which are the staple exercise in my leg routine BUT I tried barbell lunges for the first time yesterday and I dont think I have ever been this sore in my life. Great exercise, particularly for sprinters and general explosive power. Just wanted to share.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I did them Sunday for the first time in awhile. I have been doing db lunges usually. It targets the upper hams & glutes pretty good. You can also you a smith machine if your prone to lower back injuries but they are not quite as effective imo.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Lunges.......I love/hate those **** things......but I do them.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I do lunges every week on quads day and my legs hate me for it. I can hardly walk up the steps the day after I do them. I also like to do cable lunges, if you have a belt to hook onto those are great.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I do them to. I'd like to do them for four sets but after two I cramp up in my traps. So I have to do two sets dumb bell. Hazards of barbell walking lunges at 155 I guess.

MrDezel is offline Banned
    Lunges destroy me. My legs really have trouble recovering after lunges so I don't do them as often as I would like to but I think this winter I am really going to hit the wheels with them pretty hard.

khurrams is offline Associate Member
    I do my lunges on a smith machine........God I love my A$$.....lols

When I was doing walking lunges twice a week, MY ass was the most powerful in the world!11 LOL

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I do them to. I'd like to do them for four sets but after two I cramp up in my traps. So I have to do two sets dumb bell. Hazards of barbell walking lunges at 155 I guess.
    Use straps so you can concentrate on form. If your traps are cramping, your form is not good, you are putting tension in your traps, when they should be relaxed.

Lunges are the ONE exercise that I do on the Smith. I do lunges with 110 kg (242 lbs) on the bar and I like the stability and the fact that I can go to failure safely. I know my reps are over when I can't stand up.

Lunges make your butt feel like you had a very bad night in prison.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I love barbell lunges... and when I did 405 for about 15' ... man the looks I was getting, that PUMPED me up.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Ive done lunges in the past, good stuff. Today I did squats, leg curls and standing calf raisers. I could hardly walk from the gym to my girl's dorm.

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    I love barbell lunges... and when I did 405 for about 15' ... man the looks I was getting, that PUMPED me up.

405!!! You are a freaking monster!

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    405!!! You are a freaking monster!
    Of course he is....but just cause he's ugly is no cause to say it! hahahaha

Apperantly you're new too the adventures of Big Ol Legs. For giggles ask him for a leg workout........when you can walk to the computer afterwards, the next few days after, you can tell us how good it was.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    LOL

Im still trying to get over your name jugg.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Use straps so you can concentrate on form. If your traps are cramping, your form is not good, you are putting tension in your traps, when they should be relaxed.

Lunges are the ONE exercise that I do on the Smith. I do lunges with 110 kg (242 lbs) on the bar and I like the stability and the fact that I can go to failure safely. I know my reps are over when I can't stand up.

Lunges make your butt feel like you had a very bad night in prison.
    Barbell lunges with straps? How would that help putting the bar across my back? Traps get tension from keeping my arms up on the bar stabilizing it.
    I've done it on a smith machine too. I do like 185lbs(84kg) each leg for like 12-15 reps. I like it cause I can have my trailing leg way out behind me and my other leg way out in front of me. That way, depending on which leg I push off of can hit a different area of the glute. Never come all the way up like this, and it is totally different from a traditional walking lunge.

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Barbell lunges with straps? How would that help putting the bar across my back? Traps get tension from keeping my arms up on the bar stabilizing it.
    I've done it on a smith machine too. I do like 185lbs(84kg) each leg for like 12-15 reps. I like it cause I can have my trailing leg way out behind me and my other leg way out in front of me. That way, depending on which leg I push off of can hit a different area of the glute. Never come all the way up like this, and it is totally different from a traditional walking lunge.
    When I read your post, I got myself all mixed up too. I read DB lunges. Sorry bro, went brain dead on you for a second there. BB lunges with straps

Agree with you on the targeting on the smith. I do walking lunges with DBs... now see comment about straps.

I lost one of my straps. Left it behind at the gym I guess. Of course no one turns it in. Must have thrown it out. Any way, ex-girl friend sees my hands at work and says "You haven't been using gloves at the gym have you?" and touches my caluses. I said "No. Why? Does it look gross?" She says "Let's just say it's not attractive," and I was like WTF? I should have layed into her about how it was not my intention to be attractive to her at all.
    Back on topic, I used straps with walking DB lunges too. But walking lunges with a BB is crazy with straps. Any thing happens and I lose the load, I want to be able to get away from the BB not be stuck to it with straps.

nathanw21 is offline Member
    when i do lunges my ass gets huge. some people say i have a steriod ass. hahaha

ScooterBoy is offline Junior Member
    g src="images/smilies/eek.gif" border="0" alt="" title="EEK!" class="inlineimg" />

Thread Information