Thread: Help

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member

Help

K ppl... when I do straight bar for arms.. actually I am guessing that its straight bar thats doing it.. but the next day my front delts are sore.. I keep my elbows close to my side and it seems to happen with whatever weight/rep range?? Any ideas/suggestions? thanx

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    That seems to suggest that you are in fact bringing your elbows out in front of your body and bringing your shoulders slightly up. Make sure to keep the elbows at the side and DONT move at the shoulder joint

ok as I said my elbows are at my side. I pincth them to the side there is no movement. I really can't figure it out

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Switch to Preacher Curls for a while. In the meantime, invest in an Arm Blaster.

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    ok as I said my elbows are at my side. I pincth them to the side there is no movement. I really can't figure it out

i did see that you said that....it is just weird if that is the case. Do you feel it in your shoulders during or after the lift. I mean if you muscle is contracting, the only way that is possible is if you are lifting up your shoulder some which is usually caused by lifting your elbows

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I had the same problem... I had a friend watch me and it turned out I was lifting my shoulders slightly when I did these. I had to drop my weight a bit to correct my form since I had been doing them like this for a while but after a couple weeks I was back up to that weight again without lifting my shoulders.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    I had the same problem... I had a friend watch me and it turned out I was lifting my shoulders slightly when I did these. I had to drop my weight a bit to correct my form since I had been doing them like this for a while but after a couple weeks I was back up to that weight again without lifting my shoulders.
    What she said. I was thinking the same thing.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You are probably starting the movement with a slight shoulder shrug as mentioned above. It is hard to explain, but I see it everyday in the gym.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Watch different people do curls in the gym sometime, you will see a lot of people 'hunch up and lean back' before they curl the bar. A good way to prevent this is to pull your scapulae (shoulder blades) down and backward during your set. It will take some getting used to and like doby said you will need to reduce the weight.

thanx guys.. its usually the say after that its sore.. I can use 5 pounds a side and put my back on the wall to eliminate any movement! I dunno.. I have bad rotator cuffs would that be it?

It might be why you have bad rotator cuffs. You're cheating and it's the shoulders that are paying for the cheat.

Yea I have bad rotator cuff's cuz they're damaged from boxing and my right shoulder likes to pop out.. I had a trainer watch my form he says its fine.. I had a slight swing but we eliminated that.. and they are still freaking sore.. Think im going to give up straight bar for a while stick to preacher and standing dumbells

Hey guys.. got a different trainer to help me out. I was bringing my elbows forward at the start of each rep so it was hurting my rotator.. All good now though thanx er'body

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I am a Personal Trainer too ( not my real job , yet..) and I am still learning all the time. Personal Trainers do not know everything but should know the mechanics of a barbell bicep curl. Sure there are many variations ie. speed, cheating, 21's, ect... but fundamentals are a must as a foundation. I see many Personal Trainers who are themselves not fit and teaching old school thought. My last club (3yrs ago) was new & big they hired BS degree people only. Alot had great schooling & knowledge but little to no practical lifting. People would come to me for advice when I was working out because I have a good focus not there to make friends & my physique showed so I guess they "assumed" I knew what I was doing! lol good to see you solved your problem.

haha thanx man.. yea you can read all the books u want but nothing makes up for actual lifting!!!

Thread Information