muff-chaser is offline Associate Member

Question cardio during bulking?

hey everybody, does anyone do some form of cardio while bulking or is it strictly lifting? i was thinking about running maybe 2 or 3 times a week just to keep my endurance.does this sound like it will be defeating the purpose of bulking?

chances is offline Associate Member
    I do 30 minutes on the treadmill to warm-up before lifting. If you run and still take in enough calories to gain weight, I don't see the problem. Especially if endurance is a concern for you.

chance

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muff-chaser
    hey everybody, does anyone do some form of cardio while bulking or is it strictly lifting? i was thinking about running maybe 2 or 3 times a week just to keep my endurance.does this sound like it will be defeating the purpose of bulking?
    i'm going to do 3 45 min sessions of cardio when i bulk, just keep eating, you only have 1 heart, keep it in shape bro

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i wouldn't do it, but you have to know for yourself. Try doin some cardio, and keep doing it until your gains stop or slow down. Then just get rid of it. It also depends how often you are lifting.
    Are you bulking with gear? How has your past gains been? More info is needed.
    Just remeber, even though some tout cardio as benefiacial even when bulking because it supposedly helps remove lactic acid by increasing bloodflow etc. , that cardio like weight training is a traning stress, and as such, digs into revovery ability. Sometimes it's hard to know if you are recovering from your weight training sessions let alone weights and cardio. I think of it like this:
    More training=more cortisol=more muscle loss

And more muscle being lost cannot be simply replaced just by eating more protien. The environment on your body must be changed to a more anabolic balance. Adding cardio in my opinion, just sways the body over to the more catabolic side of the anabolic/catabolic balance.
    Last edited by AnabolicBoy1981; 08-26-2004 at 07:56 PM.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I talked with a medical major friend of mine. Told me to quit running when bulking. I did. But I lost madd indurance when it came to my 4x8 clean and presses at 135. I got SO winded. I would say 20 min of brisk walking three times a week. Or maybe just a four or five sprints on your leg days. In the parking lot of your gym. Just stretch real well first. Then spint until you top out on speed and back-er-down to a full stop. Rest a 2-3 minutes in between.

znak is offline Senior Member

You can do it if you must, but you won't build up as fast as you would without it.

If you must bulk quickly, don't do cardio, if you are in this for your overall health and well being, go for it, but it will slow down the rate at which you add weight.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    i would walk if anything bro, 30-45 mins should be fine.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofpain
    i would walk if anything bro, 30-45 mins should be fine.

But walking for a prolonged period for example 45 mins will burn fat, i dont know if it will help him that much.

When i did my bulking i did sprints every now and again during my workouts, juts helps the heart to return to its resting rate quicker.

muff-chaser is offline Associate Member
    thanks for the input everybody, i appreciate it. i think i will run 20 min a week 2 or 3 times bc if i dont i get fat. i get strong and bigger but dont want to take off my shirt in front of people. im not on juice yet. again thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the input everybody, i appreciate it. i think i will run 20 min a week 2 or 3 times bc if i dont i get fat. i get strong and bigger but dont want to take off my shirt in front of people. im not on juice yet. again thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no doubt bro, do your cardio, if your worried, eat more...that'll solve it, if you burn off 600cal and eat 1000, you'd basically just keep you heart in shape and you endurance up

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Low Intensity cardio will primarily utilize fat as fuel. You are trying to add LBM, therefore, low intensity cardio should not significantly slow your gains because the dominant energy source will be fat.

Thread Information