xenithon is offline Member

Shoulder Injury : Help please!

Hi there,

I have been training hard for about 2 years now. I had a few problems with my shoulders, mainly due to military press (unnatural movement). since doing alternatives I have been fine. I recently (about 8 months ago) got very serious into gym - diets, workouts, supplements etc. and have been training very hard and well. My left shoulder though has started giving me problems. Surprisingly, when I do eg. Dumbbell shoulder presses, it does not hurt. It gets sore mainly when I do something like benchpress and incline dumbell press (mainly chest exercises, shoulder exercises don't hurt too much, except for machines where there is limited movement as apposed to free weights). Physios say it's just a general injury and I get physio which helps for a 2-3 weeks, but then chest comes and my shoulder hurts again. Any ideas/suggestions/possibilities?

ptbyjason Guest
    Could be your rotator cuff.

bigtraps is offline Member
    I am also haveing huge problems w/ my shoulders.. It is in both rear delts. Hurts so bad i can not do a standing curl. Ihave just finished one week of, and it still hurts. I am very pissed and confused.

AlexG is offline New Member
    i believe injecting deca in the muscle itself should help a little. Deca repairs the muscle tissue as far as i know. i might be wrong but i see a lot of guys injecting deca in the muscle which was injured.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i used to have the same problem. turns out my benching form was bad. you may have the same prob. try dropping your shoulders and rolling them back when you're benching. if you keep your shoulders in this position you eliminate them and they shouldn't hurt so much. hopefully this cures the prob

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Drop the weight and use really light weight and try to find your natural movement for your shoulders,then build the weight back up.Also warm your rotator cuffs up prior to training.I was taught to place your hands on your hips and slowly rotate your shoulders forwards and backwards.I find this always helps me.

Billy

hi there,

thanks for the infos. i know a few of the trainers at the gym and so I got some warm up and stretching exercises I can do anytime even when not training, and I am doing those with little help.

billy boy: i have tried dropping the weight considerably. I have built it up again using perfect form, but even on moderately heavy weights I feel it. once again, shoulders doesn't hurt too much, its when I train chest. i am on deca now, dunno about shoulder injection with it though. i will probably do winny injections in the delts. might that help?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Just re-read your post had the same problem doing bench so when i do flat I stick a bit of wood underneath the bench its only about 20mm thick but it is just enough angle to take the stress out of the shoulder I also find the wider I go on bench the more it hurts.

Billy

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    xenithon...shoulders are a very common injury. I had rotator cuff problems in both of my shoulders. Most recently I had a severe inflamation of the super spinatous tendon which is part of the rotator cuff. I had some physio done and made sure to thouroughly warm up before every workout (legs, abs, cardio, everything). I also started using light wieghts with slow concentrated movements...repetitions to a cadence of 2-3 seconds on the way up and 2-3 seconds on the way down. I hate to say this because I don't want you to think this is your only option, but I think the thing that helped me the most was...deca . Really helped lube the joints and I feel helped repair the damage. It may be phycological or coincedental but I've been training pain free for a couple of months...before I started I was feeling it when using 60lb dumbells on incline presses.
    Pete

thanks for the info man! i have two weeks of 300mg deca = 3cc. I was gonna do 2cc shot in glute and 1cc in shoulders, one in each shoulder in each of the 3cc weeks. will that be enough?? 1cc/shoulder, or should I go more deca or more shots?

Just want to be clear...you have 3ml/3cc of deca left and the strength is 300mg per ml/cc? Ig that's the case I would do 1 injection per week for 3 weeks. I ran my deca at 400mg/week for 10 weeks. Also keep in mind that it will take 2-3 weeks before you even feel the effects of deca. Maybe one of the mods may be better able to recommend the proper dosage of your remaining deca.
    Pete

hi again,

actually just started the course of deca . strenght is 100mg/cc.

How much (how many ml) do you have? I would recommend no less than 400mg/week if possible. I would administer 2cc on Monday and 2cc on Thursdays. You will be pleasantly surprised in several weeks.
    Pete

and all 4cc into shoulders?

I rotated sites R-L glutes, R-L delts, R-L thighs...don't worry it's the lubrication which happens because of the gear , not the gear itself, that helps the joints. So no need to spot shoot. Also I had my wife inject my glutes and delts, I did my thighs myself.
    Pete

i gotta agree with the deca treatment. it makes joints and muscles feel sooo god

bigtraps is offline Member
    Do you think the deca will just, cover up the pain. In turn doing more damage.

deca doesn't act like cortizone, numbing the pain. it lubricates the joint area and make it feel looser and healthier, sometimes healing it. it's common for football players to use it when coming off an ACL probelm

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    The Deca will help until you're off then the pain may return. Additionally if you're not careful the injury could get worse. If it's a rotator injury there are a few exercises that will help strengthen those 4 small muscles, but it may also be your A.C. ligament so listen to your body and avoid the exercises or the weights that hurt. Warm up well and ice the shoulder afterward.

Note: The rotator muscles work with the pecs, lats, delts and traps, so as those larger muscles get stronger and bigger the link between they and the rotators gets larger and that will cause more injuries than anything. Point: Train your rotators.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

I had the same problem

Yeah I had the same problem. I began taking Osteo-Flex. It improved me shoulder along with all my other joints as well. You can get it at any local Wal Mart or local pharmacy.
    Tobey

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member

Re: I had the same problem

Originally posted by Tobey
    I began taking Osteo-Flex. It improved me shoulder along with all my other joints as well. You can get it at any local Wal Mart or local pharmacy. Tobey
    Absolutely correct Tobey...We all should be using a glucosamine supplement. There have been HUGE studies done that prove it helps repair and rebuild (properly) connective tissue. The National Institute of Health is in it's 2nd year of a 3 year study and prelim results are very favorable.

rocklizard is offline Junior Member

shoulder pain

Bro, over the years I have fought shoulder pain off and on.

Eliminate or modify an exercise that causes you problems. I DO NOT do behind the neck presses at all anymore. Seems they were putting unnatural stress on the joints. I went to alternating frontal presses with barbells and dumbbells.

As with Pete, the Deca also seemed to help me immensely. I inject into the delts nowadays. At one time it was so bad I couldn't even sleep at night from the pain in my shoulders. The last cycle of Deca really helped, so there is a consideration for you.

Nate_Dog is offline Member

THIS MIGHT HELP ? Have a read anyway!

When you do bench you need to first lay on the bench. Pretend you have a bar in your hand and let your arm fall naturally in a bench position. Now raise your "pretend bar" 5cms(2 inches) higher.

This is the NATURAL RANGE OF MOTION(ROM) THAT YOUR SHOULDER IS SUPPOSED TO GO THROUGH. Lowering the bar (or dumb bells) all the way to your chest can cause shoulder injuries!

People will argue that it ia not full ROM, but I prefer to have 100% functioning pain free shoulders.

Hope this helped you. I can back this up with a good article if anyone like that will FULLY decribe what I just went through in greater detail.

Hope it helped....

Take it easy,
    Nate.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Good call Nate_ Dog

Good call bro. To many timees have I heard people talk about full range. Where this may hold true for some excercise, it does not hold true in the bench.

A simplier way to describe it is to draw an imaginary plane across your shoulders. Do not let your elbows pass the horizontal plane of your shoulders. This also holds true for any type of Miltary Press or Shoulder Press. The elbow should never pass down below that horizontal plane.

IC

Thread Information