StangGT is offline New Member

Problem with bench press?

Hey guys! Im wondering if you can help me with a problem... On days I do chest. It seems as if my shoulders get tired and prevent me from working my cheast harder? IS this common? Im doing about 15 sets BB Flat, BB Incline, DB Flat, DB Incline.

I would appreciate any advice or comments.

Thanks,

Ryan

I guess I should have said i was doing about 15 sets total on chest days. 12 heavy 3 warm ups

When do you work shoulders?

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    It's your form likely.. I used to have a similar problem until I was shown proper form...

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    its either because your doing chest after you do shoulders, or because your grip is too narrow. i recommend widening your grip so it concentrates more on the chest, rather than brining your shoulders/tris into it (with a narrower grip).

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmmtheIceman
    its either because your doing chest after you do shoulders, or because your grip is too narrow. i recommend widening your grip so it concentrates more on the chest, rather than brining your shoulders/tris into it (with a narrower grip).
    I recommend the oposite. You may be gripping too wide. Where are your hands on the bar?

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    I recommend the oposite. You may be gripping too wide. Where are your hands on the bar?

i heard it works your chest more if your grip is wider. im anxious to know how yoru gripping the bar also

xenithon is offline Member
    i have shoulder injuries - impingment on the left, osteolysis on the right my chest workouts arent easy as you can imagine. first thing a number of sports docs said - grip narrower to involve less shoulders.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmmtheIceman
    i heard it works your chest more if your grip is wider. im anxious to know how yoru gripping the bar also
    To a point, yes--gripping wider involves more chest and less triceps. However an extremely wide grip places more stress on the shoulders.

I used to grip the bar with my ring finger on the outer ring. In this position, I didn't feel barbell presses with my chest. I switched so that my pinky is now 1/2 inch inside of the outer ring and now I get a good workout and an extreme pump in my chest.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Excessive wide grip stresses the shoulder girdle. Many work shoulders & chest same day,thats okay and if you do, try separating them 2-3 days apart see what happens. Also you said 12sets "heavy" not knowing how heavy ie. %1RM my guess is too heavy therefore you are overcompensating by using shoulders to push the weight up & down. Too many sets can pre-exhaust your chest and again the shoulders will compensate. So my advice is 1. lower the weight 2. lower the sets 3. check form

Well first I think i should say im 6'2" so i have longer arms. For grip i place my middle finger over the lines. Not sure the technical name, but i know they must be covered in compatition.

When I say heavy sets I mean 6-8 reps. when i hit 8 reps on all 3 sets i bump the weight up.

I do my chest work out first exercise of the week on sunday. Then wednesday I will do a light chest focusing on a rep range from 9-12.

Thanks for the replys guys, keepem coming.

Ryan

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Training chest twice a week is too much IMO. I train it one a week and only do 8 working sets total. I benched for almost 2 years before i got my form down properly. One of the many problems of training yourself.

You still haven't told us when you train shoulders. If your doing it right before you hit chest, thats probably the reason right there.

I hit shoulders the day after chest..

Thread Information