anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member

sets per bodypart?

how many sets should i hit each body part with? i've been doing 5-6 for every part, except back which i do with 8. should i increase this?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    is that on one exercise ? 5-6 sets per exercise ?? or just 5-6 for the entire workout ?

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I think it's personal preference and success....I like to do 20+ sets per body part..try to hit 25 or more on back and legs..

SID

5-6 sets TOTAL per body part.
    e.g. 3 sets bench press, 2 sets incline, 1 set fly. total of 6.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    There is way too many varibles involved to answer your question. It comes from years experience but if you need some answers I say screw the number rep game and go with the "FEEL"

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I go 4 sets per exercise, 3-4 exercises per part. Do the mathmagic and get 12-16 sets per part.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    I go 4 sets per exercise, 3-4 exercises per part. Do the mathmagic and get 12-16 sets per part.
    Yeah I usually do the same.

yeah i also heard the same from my friends. ****, i've been doing too little for the past 8 months. lucky for me, you grow fast at the start no matter what. alright, so 12 sets it'd be for big body parts, and 9 for small bodyparts for me.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicwannabe
    yeah i also heard the same from my friends. ****, i've been doing too little for the past 8 months. lucky for me, you grow fast at the start no matter what. alright, so 12 sets it'd be for big body parts, and 9 for small bodyparts for me.
    Try that for awhile and see if that's the sets your body requires to get the most gains from. If not try another set mixture until you find what works best for you.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicwannabe

12 for big and 9 works for me. sometimes ill do more though, depending how i feel

i just did a chest and back workout yesterday, 12 sets each. when i was doing the 3 2 1 cycle as i stated above (3 sets bench, 2 sets incline, 1 set flye), i used x weight for bench, y weight for incline, z weight for flyes, and when i was doing 4 sets each, it was still x-y-z. does this mean i've been doing too little, and 12 sets for big, 9 sets for small COULD be what i need?

Steele is offline Member
    if failure is what produces growth, it shouldn't matter how many sets you do. just make sure you exhaust the targeted muscle and then rest and recuperate (i.e. eat and sleep good) what can i say, i believe in mike mentzers work. HIT has worked well for me. i thought i was done growing and then tried his theories and boom!

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripsid
    I think it's personal preference and success....I like to do 20+ sets per body part..try to hit 25 or more on back and legs..

SID
    wow, how long are your gym sessions?

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    wow, how long are your gym sessions?
    I did about that much when i was on juice, and i took about an hour and a half per workout. Its intense stuff, and definitely not something that should be done on a regular basis when not on AS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    if failure is what produces growth, it shouldn't matter how many sets you do. just make sure you exhaust the targeted muscle and then rest and recuperate (i.e. eat and sleep good) what can i say, i believe in mike mentzers work. HIT has worked well for me. i thought i was done growing and then tried his theories and boom!
    now where do you get this mike mentzers' theories? i try to follow sets so as not to overtrain, sure i could super set and drop set until i used maybe a 1-pound dumbbell and be totally exhausted. but problem is, more likely than not, i'm going to overtrain. i'm NOT on AS.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i like about 8 sets per bodypart. its what works for me. used to do 12 then dropped to 8 and got better gains.

znak is offline Senior Member
    The math is complex if not impossible.

Let's take yesterdays work out, including warm ups.

Bench= 6 sets
    Incline= four sets
    fly= four sets
    Weighted dips= four sets
    Skull crushers= four sets
    Rope pulls= four sets
    cable cross over= four sets

I did twenty six sets working chest and tris. Some do both (bench, dips, incline), some do only chest (cross over, flys), some do only tri (crushers, pull downs).

I am consistantly gaining weight (over 45 pounds in three years), so I am not "overtraining". I think, as a few have already mentioned, that it is personal. Most people do not do enough work with the BS fear of overtraining. I am so trashed after my work out that I can't use the group until the next week anyway, so I have no risk of "overtraining".

Most people radically UNDERTRAIN.

Just my humble opinion, based on watching growth in gyms over a few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    The math is complex if not impossible.

Let's take yesterdays work out, including warm ups.

Bench= 6 sets
    Incline= four sets
    fly= four sets
    Weighted dips= four sets
    Skull crushers= four sets
    Rope pulls= four sets
    cable cross over= four sets

I did twenty six sets working chest and tris. Some do both (bench, dips, incline), some do only chest (cross over, flys), some do only tri (crushers, pull downs).

I am consistantly gaining weight (over 45 pounds in three years), so I am not "overtraining". I think, as a few have already mentioned, that it is personal. Most people do not do enough work with the BS fear of overtraining. I am so trashed after my work out that I can't use the group until the next week anyway, so I have no risk of "overtraining".

Most people radically UNDERTRAIN.

Just my humble opinion, based on watching growth in gyms over a few decades.
    well i added those sets up above and i got 30 sets. so i can't really comment on what you said, cause in your post you said 26. but 30 sets in total? would make 15 PER BODYPART. minus off your warm up, probably 14? so essentially you're doing 2 sets more than me. which isn't a great deal more. guys please, i'm talking bout PER BODYPART

12 sets for chest and back would make 6 sets each, meaning i didn't increase my sets if you had read my earlier post about the 3-2-1 bench, incline, flyes.

Thread Information