Thread: Cardio?

bmfwalton is offline New Member

Cardio?

I know when you do cardio to burn fat you need to be in the 65% to 75% of your max heart rate range. I also know you don't start burning fat until after about 20min. into your cardio. So my question is where should your heart rate be for the first 20min.? I am usually below because I'm just warming up? Is this ok? Thanks!

dukebrown is offline New Member
    First off the 20min of cardio to burn fat, FALSE. Get off the treadmill and on to the track. It is much more efficiant and muscle building to sprint. Go do a light jog of about 200yds and then do some dynamic stretching,then 3-5 80yd buildups. Now you are ready (determined by your fitness level) run 100 then walk 100, dont cheat balls to the wall running threw the line each time dont take a break before running again, when you reach the line run. Do this 10X. You can also run 6x200yd. This is the best for shredding I think run 20 seconds walk 20 seconds repeat this 10X, increase 2seconds each new workout till you hit 30 seconds. this can be done in the neighborhood.
    Try that.

If you really want to run on the treadmill. Its your body. I threw out some ideas. Doesnt hurt to try

cardio

so why is sprinting better? I've read so much info on doing cardio for an hour in the morning at 65% of your max heart rate.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I talked of my morn cardio while cutting I would say its distance running. It was also to condition me for when Im back at school (now) doing ROTC Rangers. AandF6969 would always tell me Im retarded and burning muscle cuz he would put a treadmill on an incline and power walk for 45 min for his cardio. That might be more effective fat burning (which it is) but for me specifically I needed to get my distance run back to where it was last semester cuz thats all Ive been doing so far. In short, brisk walks are best for burning fat while maintaining muscle gains.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Like touched on above, the type of cardio depends on what you want it for.

For me personally, my cardio should be for endurance and explosive movements as i train jiu-jitsu and do MMA.

A swimmer is gonna have a different cardio routine than a bodybuilder etc...

cardio

I've tried to do the brisk walk at an incline but my heart rate was the same as if I were sleeping. In order to get my heart rate at 65% to 75% I have to run. How brisk is your walking??

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    If you are only concerned with burning fat and wish to keep as much muscle mass as possible (ie training for bodybuilding reasons) then keep doing what you are doing except adjust the incline and speed to get your heartrate in the range you want it to be in. How fast and the degree of incline will depend on your cariovascular fitness level, personally, I don't break a sweat until about 30 mins starting at 3.5 mph working it up to 4.0 mph and starting at 3-5% and working it up to 12% grade. Walking is only a cardiovascular workout for old people IMO, I use it for a warm up, or to burn fat, or for extreme endurance training. Do you have a heartrate monitor? You wanna get serious you're gonna need one. Check out http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by bmfwalton
    I've tried to do the brisk walk at an incline but my heart rate was the same as if I were sleeping. In order to get my heart rate at 65% to 75% I have to run. How brisk is your walking??

cardio

I need to be at 140 beats a minute. So whats the difference in reaching that from walking or from running?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Nothing

Thread Information