Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member

Long distance running

I just wanted some advice on running. Im busy training to be a personal trainer and just cant get to grips with running, on the treadmill is fine but outdoors just kills me after 2 miles and its also very boring as well as a little back pain after the 1 mile mark.
    Any help on this would be great

can someone please answer this thread

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    What is your Q?
    One reason running outdoors is hurting may be due to the hard surfaces and the impact your body has to take instead of the treadmill absorbing it.
    Another possible explanation could be % grade.
    What organization are you looking into for a Personal Training Certification?

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I think treadmills suck ass. Thats where the scenery never changes and you just run in place basically. When you run outside you can run thru some different areas and have the cold brisk morning air, with treadmills its the sweaty hot gym air. I see you live in England, theres some beautiful countryside to run thru, here in Illinois its cornfield after cornfield with the occasional bean field. The only thing that breaks the morning solitude when I run is, "I WANNA BE AN AIRBORNE RANGER....LIVE A LIFE OF BLOOD, AND DANGER...!!"

Not sure what organisation my my certificTE IS WITH BUT DO KNOW THAT ITS NATIONALY RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION. MAYBE I NEED NEW SHOES TO EASE THE IMPACT

New shoes will help!

Darkness is offline Member
    Try running on some dirt trails instead of sidewalks and roads. Also try running twiec a day on running days, 3-4 days per week. And always try to go more than what you think you can, unless you puke dont stop, just suck it up. You should be under my command and I'd get you in shape real quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Try running on some dirt trails instead of sidewalks and roads. Also try running twiec a day on running days, 3-4 days per week. And always try to go more than what you think you can, unless you puke dont stop, just suck it up. You should be under my command and I'd get you in shape real quick!
    This is an excellent exercise prescription for shin splints/stress fractures/injuries. If it hurts, that is your body's signal to modify a variable.

Darkness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    This is an excellent exercise prescription for shin splints/stress fractures/injuries. If it hurts, that is your body's signal to modify a variable.
    Hmmm dont think so.

I agree with hypertrophy. Anyway ive just paid out some serious cash for some new running shoes and can feel the difference when just walking about in them. Im gonna go for a run and see how far they take me.

Il post my results

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I agree with Hypertrophy, if something hurts stop and check it out, why risk it and get injured and then not be able to do ****?

I just tested ou my new shoes. What a difference they made. I managed to do an extra 3 mile without any problems at all, although the shoes are a little heavier than I expected they would be

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Shoes are deffinetly the flux capacitor for running distance.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy

There is good pain (dull) and there is bad pain (sharp).

Want gains? Learn to handle good pain.

What to stop your gains? Ignore your bad pain and injure yourself.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FOR ALL ATHELETES TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    I think treadmills suck ass. Thats where the scenery never changes and you just run in place basically. When you run outside you can run thru some different areas and have the cold brisk morning air, with treadmills its the sweaty hot gym air. I see you live in England, theres some beautiful countryside to run thru, here in Illinois its cornfield after cornfield with the occasional bean field. The only thing that breaks the morning solitude when I run is, "I WANNA BE AN AIRBORNE RANGER....LIVE A LIFE OF BLOOD, AND DANGER...!!"

I agree, I hate running on a treadmill! I love waking up and going to PT and running or just waking up and running on my own outside. I can't get myself to walk on a treadmill it bores me to death.

Yeah, Treadmills Are Boring Although And Have A Limited Use In The Summer Time But I Think We Can All Agree That During The Winter Time It May Be A Safer Option At Times, Although Not Always

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I ran long distance for 5 years. the only problem I had was with my kness and oshgood scholotters (i know i spelled that wrong). So I cant help you with the back pain, but if you go to a running store they should have good inserts for your back and knees as well.

Danielle is offline Female Member
    running is all mental........pushing yourself after your body is begging you to stop.........i myself, am mostly a treadmill runner........i do 75% of my running on the treadmill.......i completed a few 10k's .....and i agree, running 10 miles on a treadmill is nothing compared to running 10 miles outside.......

Running basically just takes time and practice and more practice.....you have to gradually build up.......no more then a half mile to a mile extra each week...........no one can expect got out there and run 5 miles for the first time in one shot.........i wasnt able to run half a mile when i started.........now i'll run 7, 8 miles for the fun of it...........give yourself time.......how long have you been training?
    Last edited by Danielle; 09-13-2004 at 12:34 PM.
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

builtthekid is offline Banned
    By all means running long distance to me is murder and god I cant stand running on
    a treadmill the only positive would be that you know how many colaries u burn.

Ive bin training for a couple of year now, but didnt really take it to seriously until about 9 month ago, and I can run a mile in about 4mins 50secs......anybody know what the world record is.
    Also, if iam trying to bulk up is it a good idea to run as well to keep the body fat % down ?

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun_brotherton
    Ive bin training for a couple of year now, but didnt really take it to seriously until about 9 month ago, and I can run a mile in about 4mins 50secs......anybody know what the world record is.
    Also, if iam trying to bulk up is it a good idea to run as well to keep the body fat % down ?

hmmmmmmm........training for a couple of years and you said your shot after 2 miles of running outside?!?!.........you cant be training correctly........how much do you run on an average week?
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun_brotherton
    if your trying to bulk dont run, use an eliptical machine or bike. The reason is that your quads wont grow, and your upper body will be hampered by that fact. Are you a smoker? if you are quit you will see a drastic change in your running ability within 1 month

brian11 is offline Member
    Fvck running altogether in my opinion. If you are lifting to get bigger then it wont help that at all. You burn muscle when you run. The less muscle you have, the less calories you burn. So even for cutting its not ideal. Just look at distance runners, there is a reason they have no muscle.

I'm biased though bc i have bad knees and back so walking is all i can do. I just turn the tv to sportscenter and walk for an hour.

[QUOTE=shaun_brotherton] and I can run a mile in about 4mins 50secs......QUOTE]
    ****, you are one big mitochondria!!
    Don't know if anyone will get that, just had to say it.
    World Record is Mid 3:40 secs.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Good quality sneakers are important no matter what...

"sneakers" I think u mean trainers mate. But yeah, i agree trainers are important. Buy rubbish ones and you wont get fare before doing yourself an injury

Thread Information