sdk215 is offline Junior Member

Help with Leg Routine

Sorry about the trick question but I need some help. Ok So I am leaving for school soon and I need to get together some kind of leg routine. The reason I need help is beacuse I am spoiled with fancy gyms... At my school I wont have any machines and I cant do squats for about 3 months because of an acl tear that I had reapaired so I need to stick with excersise that allow me to keep perfect form so their is very little stress on the knee for now. Its a basic gym dumbles barbels and they do have a reverse leg curl machine. I know of plenty of hamstring excersise, but quad excersise seem to be very limited. All i can think of is lunges and varations of lunges..... Please help me I need to build this leg up. Ive been making great progress at the gym but now im affraid it might stop tdo to poor traing equipment..

thanks

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Does your school have a smith machine? Theres only one way it can go, up and down, so your perfect form is right there.

builtthekid is offline Banned
    The cleans man everybody forgets the cleans
    but they do so much for legs.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    squat for 20reps really works for me.

sdk215 is offline Junior Member
    Ok so you dont understand. This place is gehtto ok..... No smith machine or anything good like that. And squats wont work yet because of my surgery...

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk215
    Ok so you dont understand. This place is gehtto ok..... No smith machine or anything good like that. And squats wont work yet because of my surgery...

Deadlifts(maybe)

if you were in perfect condition this is what you should do=

(EDIT)ATG)Squats
    Stiff leg deads
    front squat
    leg press

should get the job done.

dotNet is offline New Member
    well bro, instead of letting a poorly stocked gym stop you, just get creative. in addition to floor lunges, consider step ups (onto a bench holding dumbells) and wall sits. decide now you won't give up and keep to it ... 3 months will pass in no time flat and then you're back to squats

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Lunges are primarily a ham/abductor excersice. This gym doesnt even have a leg extension machine?

Its hard to work quads with a acl tear.. well, nearly impossible. It is impossible if you want growth. Have you tryed sissy squats?

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how long ago your ACL tear was, but it sounds like it's not fully healed which, in that case, WAIT! If it has healed, but just not strong or a little inflamed, try to work the quad without putting so much stress on the tendon (your new ligament). Think about how your physical therapist trained it. One legged isometric contractions done at different points in the range of motion will put a demand on the quad while keeping the leg stable. This can be done in a squat, wall squat, swiss squat or lunge. You may feel like you look funny (which you will) doing isometrics, but try it and you'll see.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    Does your school have a smith machine? Theres only one way it can go, up and down, so your perfect form is right there.
    Disagree completely!

More people f*** up their knees with a smith machine than with only other activity with the exception of pro football. Free weights force you to balance the weight, the smith let's you rip the s*** out of your knees by cheating and using TERRIBLE form.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Hack squats are great for the quads too. Otherwise you can always try step ups, just do them at a level that you are comfortable with.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Thread Information