OwnItOnDVD is offline Banned

BOWFLEX Any opinions?

Anyone got any opinions on the use of the bowflex?

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

well

Quote Originally Posted by OwnItOnDVD
    Anyone got any opinions on the use of the bowflex?
    i know it makes one hell of any expensive coat hanger in many american homes.....

Surferboy is offline Associate Member
    Agreed. Bowflex blows.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Actually,I have a different opinion on the Bowflex..It's not my first choice as far as strength training goes..The gym is always my first choice, as I prefer free weights over anything..But, when you have those days that are just so busy that a trip to the gym isn't possible, I like having my Bowflex around so I can get in at least 30 minutes of strength training..In fact, some of the excercises that I do on that machine make me much more sore then anything at the gym..

So, I guess I would say that if it's your backup option, then it's a good one..But if you think using that machine solely as your way of getting jacked, as they propose in their commercials, then you are going to be sadly disappointed..

Doc M

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Not worth the +$2000 for the average person..

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Rememer, your muscles respond to a stimilus. If you are doing chins on a tree branch or a 15,000 machine, the muscles don't know the difference. Are there certain types of resistance training that provide a better stimuli, yes. Bowflex is not worthless, but there are better training methods.

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    After nearly almost 2 years of getting in shape from scratch i finally dumped mine for the gym havent felt this great in my legs in years.

it is one hell of a dumbell set though sitting in my apt.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    It is better than not having anything! No sub for free weights IMO

byrdtre is offline Junior Member
    Man raw iron is the only way too go, good ole fashion dead solid iron. Don't waste your money.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    i know it makes one hell of any expensive coat hanger in many american homes.....

Hometown Hero is offline Associate Member
    Actually the new thing they got out now is really impressive. I'm not sure if you have seen it but they have dumbells out now that are adjustable between anywhere from 5 all the way up to 55 pounds. That IMO is freeweight... and much easier to store then a rack of dumbells. Besides dumbells are so versatile if your creative you can get a full body work out in from just dumbells.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    Money is best invested in a gym membership..

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

??

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Hero
    Actually the new thing they got out now is really impressive. I'm not sure if you have seen it but they have dumbells out now that are adjustable between anywhere from 5 all the way up to 55 pounds. That IMO is freeweight... and much easier to store then a rack of dumbells. Besides dumbells are so versatile if your creative you can get a full body work out in from just dumbells.
    are you talking about the power blocks?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have seen this mini-infomercial. They do look pretty tempting.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    are you talking about the power blocks?
    idk but i have those, and i hate them....
    fvck a bowflex, i have one
    just bought an adjustable squat rack, bench, high/low pulley, a few dumbell sets and a barbell with circa 500lbs in plates....

needless to say my bowflex is now dismantled and in my closet!
    a home freeweight system would be to much better benefit, and its even cheaper!

spkmania is offline Associate Member
    go to sports authority, try it out, then decide. free weights are much better imo, but like everyone else said, it's better than nothing at all.

mitch911 is offline Member
    Its good in the sense that you have the freeweight feeling, and u dont need a spotter.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    For $2,000 you can put together a nice little gym for yourself. I have a freind that has the new one. I believe it supposedly goes up to 315lbs. He said he could 300lbs 8 times. I got on there and did about 18 reps then the sh!tty straps they have for the bench bar gave way and loosened so I stopped. I could never workout on one.

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    The biggest problem I have with the bowflex is the PROGRESSIVE resistance...You start a rep and it's really easy...With every inch it gets harder...That's not a quality workout compared to free weights...

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    when u get up into the big weights it sux ..... bars and DB are the best

Special K is offline New Member

Bought one for my woman

I think it's an eye sore but she loves it.I would break it in time. K

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    For that kind of money, you can have a power cage, adjustable bench, bar, and plenty of plates. For 1/10, you can build a bench and buy 250 lbs of loose plates and a pair of 20" olympic dumbbell handles. That is what I use, but I have more plates and I use QuickLee collars to make plate changes faster and easier, and they are much more secure than spring collars. I can load up my handles with 6 25ers each and I got a pair of 165lb dummies... WAY enough for me to do squats or SLDL or shrugs. Everything but the bench fits handily into three milk crates. Screw bowflex. If you gave me one, I would toss it as soon as you left and say somebody stole it. Iron is best, and cheap, and holds its value forever.

TheChosen1 is offline Member

BowFlex is a complete waste of time, money, and effort. Eventually, you'll outgrow it but you can never outgrow free weights.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    i think if ur just lookin to rip up or just keep wut u have the bowflex is fine, but if ur lookin to put on mass its a waste of time and money.

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    Well my earlier argument is still there its great for th esecond floor in any apt so to say i pretty much havent used it since i hit the gym except walkout closet.

Theres still some good exersises you could do on it those to keep in shape.

mr_man is offline Associate Member
    I have one right now and I turned around and looked at it and you guessed it, it has three coats on it right now. And that piece of crap cost me 2100.00. I guess that it is not a piece of crap a lot on things can be done on it but since I got a bad ass weight bench and a member ship to the gym I really do not need it at all. I got the XLT with every option that was possible to get about 1/2 year ago. Squats and everything plus the power upgrade. I would love to sell it. It has only been used 10 times at most. And it is a waste of space in my room. So if you know anyone wanting to buy it PM my and we could talk.

Harvey Balboner is offline Retired Moderator
    pure crap, get a olympic weight bench and a lot of weights, and save over $1,000

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Balboner
    pure crap, get a olympic weight bench and a lot of weights, and save over $1,000
    I totally agree. I have a power rack, lat machine, standing calf machine, 500 lb olympic set and dumbells from 60-120lbs and I have less than $1000 in all of it.

By the way, my dumbells are in 10lb increments, and I bought 4 2.5lb plate mate magnets to bridge the gap. Saved a ****load of money. Also, screw buying the smaller dumbells that you'll hardly ever use, it's just a waste of money.

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    i heard that about 800 000 of them were recalled for some reason

BigDogRonnieC is offline New Member
    bow flex is the biggest piece of garbage ever invented. either go to the gym or get some one a gym membership.

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    i sell both the Bowflex and PowerBlocks. Youd be suprise at what kind of workout the Bowflex can give you. its not the best thing for lets say exsplosive power, but it will help you maintain your strength, as a few others said-be a hell of a back up plan, and give you one hell of a pump. If your training for real power or a specific sport that requires brute strentgh, stick to weights, squats, bench..etc.....but for a person that has never been active, the bowflex can do miricles...

Power Blocks,..two words...fu@king awesome,..been using them for almost 3 years...one of the best invention since the treadmill and eliptical.

oh, and the baltimore Ravens have 3 of the Bowflex Ultimates in there weight room...sure its not their first choice of workout but,..its there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob33
    i heard that about 800 000 of them were recalled for some reason
    Jan 2004, the power pro was recalled because there need to be more support added to the seat,..that was for any unit sold before Oct 2002. It was just recalled again last week for a very minor fault. Both Xtremes and the Ultimate are fine.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuttup
    i sell both the Bowflex and PowerBlocks. Youd be suprise at what kind of workout the Bowflex can give you. its not the best thing for lets say exsplosive power, but it will help you maintain your strength, as a few others said-be a hell of a back up plan, and give you one hell of a pump. If your training for real power or a specific sport that requires brute strentgh, stick to weights, squats, bench..etc.....but for a person that has never been active, the bowflex can do miricles...

Power Blocks,..two words...fu@king awesome,..been using them for almost 3 years...one of the best invention since the treadmill and eliptical.
    Its good for the 120 lb kid that is too embarrassed at being a walking skeleton to get into the gym. For this fellow, bow flex is good, it will put 40 lbs on him before he outgrows it and then its time to go to real gym.

Otherwise its just like that... you either out grow it or it was too light for you if you've already been to the gym. Once outgrown it because useless... So what you do is sell the darn thing to other 120 lbs kids for a few hundred and forget out your $2000. Everyone it seems have something like this or perhaps some sears special either in all in one Weider machine or free weight set which, yes we can outgrow some of these too.

Njectable is offline Member
    well i bought a used Soloflex for about 100 bucks can perform about 30 diff excersizes manybe a few more, and i went this way because i was limited for space and the soloflex is quite a bit smaller, although i never use it anymore, except to hang my shirts on, IMO ur better off getting a gym membership, its gonna do twice as much for you as one of those machines can do

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    I have tried one and can't stand it. Motions seemed jerky and weren't inline with my natural movements. I am all about free weights. The only machines I have used and liked were the hammer machines I used in college for football. And those were set up for specific movements like tackling and blocking. I do use smith machines from time to time and of course hack, press, extension and curl, and the pull down for lats, shoulders, and arms. But the more free weight the better.

Thread Information