Thread: Bench Position

500BenchClub is offline New Member

Bench Position

Wuzzup all, just had a question about benching. I am used to the benching below the nipples with elbows tucked in slightly. I was wondering if there is any benefit to benching up higher on the chest and I also heard some stuff about benching over the neck. Anyone know the positives/negatives?

Thanks all

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    i personally bench right about my nipple level, why chAnge a good thing

Aboot is offline Banned
    Bench presses to the neck provide your upper chest with a better stretch and are a great upper chest exercise. I get better stretches and contractions in my upper chest from them than inclines.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    When ever I did inclines, I went to my upper chest at about my clavical. That's the bone where your neck starts. Never even thought about going to my neck on incline or flat.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    OOO OOO OOO, pick me, I know this one!! We just went over some proper lifting techniques in one of my KNPE classes... The proper start position for flat bench press is directly above the neck (the bar that is). When lowered it should come down in a slight curve directly on the nipples. Going back up, the bar should travel in the same curve and end the press directly above the neck. Of course if you go above or below the nipples it will work different parts of your pecs.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    OOO OOO OOO, pick me, I know this one!! We just went over some proper lifting techniques in one of my KNPE classes... The proper start position for flat bench press is directly above the neck (the bar that is). When lowered it should come down in a slight curve directly on the nipples. Going back up, the bar should travel in the same curve and end the press directly above the neck. Of course if you go above or below the nipples it will work different parts of your pecs.
    agreed the arc is where its at. The start position should always be in a comfortable postion. If your gonna bench from the neck, your in for some pain.... if your gonna go heavy, and if your gonna bench 500 from the neck, plan to have a paramedic handy. Your rotator cuff and chest is extremely stretched in the neck press position and not a natural area to press from. I see no benefit for heavy neck presses.... lighter maybe is good only for a change up. Neck presses dont stretch the upper chest more than a nipple press... it stretches the outer side chest as you arms are more out to get the bar to the neck... try it right now, sitting there, grab your chest with one hand and stretch back nipple level, and you can feel the outer lower chest and upper in the exact diagonal of where your hand is to your upper chest stretch.... do it now as if you were goin to your neck, WAY TOO MUCH shoulder stress and side outer chest.... trust me, I injured myself doin that move.

dont do it heavy ... if at all.

go nipple or below to neck level.

Thread Information