statuZ is offline Banned

How does Squatting make your arms bigger?

Hey bros i know that squatting releases growth hormone and without a nice lower body base you cant have a big upper body, but how exactly does growth hormone make your arms bigger, is it from the stress on your whole skeleton? Thanks bros I'm just curious!

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Alot of it has to do with increased blood flow, oxygen etc.. getting to your muscles, as well as increasing your natty test... the legs are the biggest part of your body.. so when they are bigger, everything else is affected as well...

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Hormone release....

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Lower body = teacher.

Upper body = student.

The student will only learn to do what the teacher instructs.

Practice being a good teacher.

~SC~

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Lower body = teacher.

Upper body = student.

~SC~
    LOL, i think ive heard that advice before

I actually used your analogy yesterday swole to my roomate bc he was complaining about his bench getting weaker. So I told him he needed to start working legs again. In his defense though its hard for him bc he broke both legs in a motorcycle wreck 2 years ago and now has steel rods in each leg.

p.s. in case it was unclear i was giving you the credit for that advice

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    "Squatting" does not make you arms bigger. Squatting releases hormones and combined with a "proper stimilus" can lead to accelerated hypertrophy. I know this is probably what is meant by, "Squat and your arms will get bigger." Thought i would just clear it up for some. It would be the exact same thing to say, "taking steroids and not training will get you big." The release of anabolic hormones cause by squatting, combined with correct arm training, will be more beneficial than not squatting with the same arm training.

statuZ is offline Banned
    Lower body = teacher.

Upper body = student.

~SC~
    yes ive read when you posted this before, but i still dont understand how it makes your arms bigger? or does it make your whole body bigger? Thanks

statuZ is offline Banned
    What about leg press wouldnt that release hormones, or is it just the squat? Like how does your body know!!!!?!! im so lost haha.

Did you read my post?

statuZ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Did you read my post?
    yeh i just now get it, but what about the question i posted above? Thanks

Large muscle groups release GH/Test. The exercise does correlate with muscle fiber activation. However, deadlifts, squats, cleans, etc., any movement that requires large muscles to be activated will do the job.
    Does it make your whole body bigger? If you do exercises that release GH/Test and provide a training stimilus to that bodypart, yes, it will more beneficial.
    If you squat, etc, and never train arms, then, NO, your arms will not grow. No Stimilus!!!

statuZ is offline Banned
    Large muscle groups release GH/Test. The exercise does correlate with muscle fiber activation. However, deadlifts, squats, cleans, etc., any movement that requires large muscles to be activated will do the job.
    Does it make your whole body bigger? If you do exercises that release GH/Test and provide a training stimilus to that bodypart, yes, it will more beneficial.
    If you squat, etc, and never train arms, then, NO, your arms will not grow. No Stimilus!!!
    okay but you dont have to train them on the same day right? like you dont hae to train quads and bis on the same day just so you can get the benefit of the gh release.

No, you do not have to train them on the same day.

statuZ is offline Banned
    No, you do not have to train them on the same day.
    okay thanks bro the help i understand a little better now. i remember reading a thread on here that some guy said that squatting makes your arms bigger and you only work your bis for shaping, but obviously the guy was wrong.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by statuZ
    okay thanks bro the help i understand a little better now. i remember reading a thread on here that some guy said that squatting makes your arms bigger and you only work your bis for shaping, but obviously the guy was wrong.
    He was close........what he meant was NOT to over-train the arms. I would do direct work, but not sculpting work.

I hit biceps with 5 hard sets on bicep day (straight bar curls usually for mass) and that's all they get. The rest of the true stimulus comes from the deads/squats.

~SC~

se11 is offline Associate Member
    All of Hypertrophy posts are dead on. Squatting will make your arms bigger and better than they would be if you didn't do them. It's not like if you don't squat your arms won't grow, but squatting will help make them bigger so squats will pay off.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Lower body = teacher.

Upper body = student.

~SC~
    I like this post, I am a firm believer that squating and deadlifts train you to workout more intense. The intensity you learn from your legs will transfer into your other workouts.

xfade7 is offline Member
    if you have any lagging body parts that need more focus, would u want to work those on the days that the gh release is the greatest? like if u have really bad lagging triceps, if u did chest, and squats + triceps on the same day, would ur triceps reap the benefits more than working them on a different day?

xfade7

KBZ
    KBZ is offline Associate Member
    xfade, yes to an extent, that's why it is advised sometimes to add a lagging bodypart on legday, it will reap more gh/test rebuilding benefits. But in your case when you're saying legs, tris, and chest, I don't know if that would be ideal (3 muscle groups). In any case, legs and chest (if chest is what you're after) could help.
    BUT, if you're anything like me, legs and chest days are your most exhilirating days, so you may not be able to have a full blast workout for both. I think bi's, or traps would be good as they are smaller muscles (well the traps are physically larger) and would really benefit. Know what I mean?
    But yeah, theoretically chest on a leg day will improve chest even more.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    you gotta do legs

brian11 is offline Member
    Growth for any muscle group happens everyday, not just on the day you work it. So the increased gh/test from legs days will benefit regardless of if you do any other group on that day.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    What does any of that matter if you are taking steroids ???

I assumed StatuZ was asking about the Endocrine Response to resistance training, not taking GH/Test as an anabolic steroid . Either way, there still has to be a stimilus.

decadbal is offline Banned
    all your parts grow in proportion to your legs, and only them.. so big legs means your arms will catch up.. and you need to read about HGH to find out what it does..lol

MrDezel is offline Banned
    squats and deads basically help your entire body grow. Not just bi's in particular. I think I remember reading in Muscular Development that they help everything grow. This is basically what Swole said but I just wanted to point out how this theory is shown in other places too.

statuZ is offline Banned
    i love leg day these days, i look forward to squatting and deadlifting.

Thread Information