LS1
    LS1 is offline Associate Member

Changing workout What do ya think???

Iv been doing the work out on the left hand side for some while now and I know I should of changed it up awhile ago but never did. So here I go What do you think did I do a good job in the changes or what? do you think with any of the exercise's are to much alike and should be changed??
    Please let me know.
    Dont hold back

THANKS
    LS1

* CHEST *
    Bench press --------------------------- Bench press
    Incline dumbbell press ------------ Hammer grip incline DB press
    Cable X-overs ------------------------ One arm DB bench press

* SHOULDERS *
    Behind the neck press ------------ Standing push press
    Military press machine ----------- Arnold DB press
    Seated dumbbell press ---------- See-saw press (alternating side press)
    Front dumbbell raise ------------- Revers fly's on incline bench
    Side laterals ------------------------- One arm side laterals
    Shrugs -------------------------------- Behind the back shrugs
    Dumbbell shrugs ------------------ Upright cable row

* BICEPS & TRICEPS *
    Barbell curl ------------------------- Alternate hammer curl
    Dumbbell alternate curl -------- Alternate incline DB curl
    Preacher curl ---------------------- Overhead cable curl
    Dumbbell preacher curl -------- Concentration curls
    Seated dumbbell triceps extension --- Decline DB tricep extension
    Reverse grip tricep pushdown (bent bar) -- Lying close grip BB tricep
    press to chin
    Cable one arm tricep extension ------ Standing tricep kick backs

* LEGS *
    Leg press -------------------------- Hack squat machine
    Leg extensions ------------------- Standing leg curls
    Standing calf raises ------------- Calf press on leg press machine or seated calf raises

* BACK *
    Dead lift --------------------------- Bent over BB row
    Wide grip lat pulldowns ----- Seated cable rows
    Seated one arm rows -------- Straight arm pull downs (lats)
    Seated one arm pull down rows --- V-bar pull downs (lats)
    ---- Hyperextensions (back extensions)

Thanks again for any help
    LS1

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Personally, I think there is an unproportionate amount of shoulder work in that routine. What does your set/rep scheme look like? Also, what are your trianing goals? Are you doing cardio or another sport on top of this routine?

Look at the amount of Back & Chest work where the shoulder plays a big role:
    1.) Bench press
    2.) Hammer grip incline DB press
    3.) One arm DB bench press
    4.) Seated cable rows
    5.) Straight arm pull downs (lats)
    6.) V-bar pull downs (lats)

Look at the amount of direct Shoulder work:
    1.) Standing push press
    2.) Arnold DB press
    3.) See-saw press (alternating side press)
    4.) Revers fly's on incline bench
    5.) One arm side laterals
    6.) Upright cable row

That's a big workload on a small, unstable joint. I would consider choosing one or two pressing movement(s) on shoulder day and drop the upright rows.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    don't forget to look at the small amount of leg work he does

...good call Key, I was so wrapped up in the shoulder workload thing I missed the boat totally.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    don't forget to look at the small amount of leg work he does

LS1
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Personally, I think there is an unproportionate amount of shoulder work in that routine. What does your set/rep scheme look like? Also, what are your trianing goals? Are you doing cardio or another sport on top of this routine?

Look at the amount of Back & Chest work where the shoulder plays a big role:
    1.) Bench press
    2.) Hammer grip incline DB press
    3.) One arm DB bench press
    4.) Seated cable rows
    5.) Straight arm pull downs (lats)
    6.) V-bar pull downs (lats)

Look at the amount of direct Shoulder work:
    1.) Standing push press
    2.) Arnold DB press
    3.) See-saw press (alternating side press)
    4.) Revers fly's on incline bench
    5.) One arm side laterals
    6.) Upright cable row

That's a big workload on a small, unstable joint. I would consider choosing one or two pressing movement(s) on shoulder day and drop the upright rows.
    First thanks for your time and help bro.
    My set/rep style is 12-10-8. My traing goals right now as we speak is to cut up and lose body fat. I think that my set/rep style is not where it should be for what im trying to do but I look at it that Im burning fat, cal's....or am I doing it right?? No other sports on top of this but I was doing cardio 5 days a week for 45mins but now im backing it down to 3 times a week. Because with all that cardio my strenth went down. I know I cant lose weight and go up in strenth but I think the cardio was eating me up (a.m. cardio on empty stomach)
    Also if this makes a difference each body part a day is what Im doing chest 1/ shoulder 2/ bies & tris 3/ legs 4/ back 5

Yeah I see what your talking about with to much shoulder workout I think im going to drop the see-saw's and like you said the upright cable rows I never really thought they did much for me anyway. But should I replace them with something else or just do the behind the back shrugs for traps?

Thanks again
    LS1

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing Chest & Shoulders on back to back days?

LS1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Are you doing Chest & Shoulders on back to back days?
    Yes thats what I have been doing I think Im also going to switch up my days also
    Mon- chest
    Tues- shoulders
    Wed- bies & tris
    Thur- legs
    Fri - back

Thinking of going

Mon- chest
    Tues- back
    Wed- bies & tris
    Thur- legs
    Fri- shoulders

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Yes, allow recovery for your shoulders. It would be more beneficial to insert a rest day into you split instead of training hard 5 days in a row. Make wed your rest day, put legs on thursday, shoulders on friday, and arms on the weekend.

I would keep the shrugs. Was your leg workout cut back becasue you are doing so much cardio? You have to look at where you are and where you wanna go......do you have naturally big legs and only need a minimum of leg work? If not you might want to consider cutting back the cardio to a shorter interval and do it more often (say 20 mins on the treadmill at the end of each workout) and add barbell squats to your leg day.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1
    First thanks for your time and help bro.
    My set/rep style is 12-10-8. My traing goals right now as we speak is to cut up and lose body fat. I think that my set/rep style is not where it should be for what im trying to do but I look at it that Im burning fat, cal's....or am I doing it right?? No other sports on top of this but I was doing cardio 5 days a week for 45mins but now im backing it down to 3 times a week. Because with all that cardio my strenth went down. I know I cant lose weight and go up in strenth but I think the cardio was eating me up (a.m. cardio on empty stomach)
    Also if this makes a difference each body part a day is what Im doing chest 1/ shoulder 2/ bies & tris 3/ legs 4/ back 5

Yeah I see what your talking about with to much shoulder workout I think im going to drop the see-saw's and like you said the upright cable rows I never really thought they did much for me anyway. But should I replace them with something else or just do the behind the back shrugs for traps?

Thanks again
    LS1

LS1
    If not you might want to consider cutting back the cardio to a shorter interval and do it more often (say 20 mins on the treadmill at the end of each workout)
    I'v been told different stuff about this about when to do cardio...whats the deal I thought doing it in the morning is better to lose and burn fat also to speed up the metabolism. I hear by doing it after a workout you have built up lactic acid with lifting so by doing it afterwards that the body burns the lactic acid first before the fat. So the almost 2 to 1 calorie burning advantage you get from running instead of lifting is heavily diminished.
    I feel good about my legs of course they could be a little bigger (quads) but I do not work them out as heavy as I may should cause of my heavy cardio routine.
    All and any suggestions greatly apperciated
    Thanks
    LS1

IMO, the consistency is what makes cardio effective not so much the time of day which it is done, however, if you're using it to shed some bodyfat I would do it in the morning, if possible. Sounds like you have come to the point where you need to decide what is more important to you for the next little while:

1.) more cardio, lower bodyfat %, decrease in lower body muscle mass
    2.) less or no cardio, higher bf %, increase in lower body muscle mass

It's a tradeoff and you are the only one who can decide which is more important to you at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1
    I'v been told different stuff about this about when to do cardio...whats the deal I thought doing it in the morning is better to lose and burn fat also to speed up the metabolism. I hear by doing it after a workout you have built up lactic acid with lifting so by doing it afterwards that the body burns the lactic acid first before the fat. So the almost 2 to 1 calorie burning advantage you get from running instead of lifting is heavily diminished.
    I feel good about my legs of course they could be a little bigger (quads) but I do not work them out as heavy as I may should cause of my heavy cardio routine.
    All and any suggestions greatly apperciated
    Thanks
    LS1

LS1
    IMO, the consistency is what makes cardio effective not so much the time of day which it is done, however, if you're using it to shed some bodyfat I would do it in the morning, if possible. Sounds like you have come to the point where you need to decide what is more important to you for the next little while:

1.) more cardio, lower bodyfat %, decrease in lower body muscle mass
    2.) less or no cardio, higher bf %, increase in lower body muscle mass

It's a tradeoff and you are the only one who can decide which is more important to you at this time.
    OK Thanks alot for your all your info im going toss it all around and put something togther for at least a month and see how it all works out

Thanks again Bro

LS1

Thread Information