kboxer is offline Junior Member

Searched but couldnt find this on doing deads

Wondering if it is best to do deads right off floor, or use power rack at knee level. How much am I cheating myself by doing deads from knee level. Being 6-2, it is quite a ways up to do deads from floor.I feel like I it stresses my knees to get that deep or I have to bend over and risk back injury. I just want to make sure I am not cheating any gains.

Aboot is offline Banned
    All depends on your goals. Rack pulls (deadlifts in a power rack with pins) target the back and leave out the majority of the leg movement. You'll be able to use more weight with rack pulls, but for developing power throughout you're whole body, you'll need to do full deadlifts.

To try and decrease the stress on your knees you may want to try different foot placement and grips.

I squat fairly heavy so I wonder if it is better to go from knee level then

Aboot is offline Banned
    If you think it's the short angle that you have to bend your knees that is the problem, you could try sumo-style. The angle of your knee is much less severe.

mfenske is offline Member
    I typically start the first rep of deadlifts at about waist level on the rack. I get ahold of the bar, lift it off the rack, and then take a step back. Then I start by lowering the weight to the floor in a controlled manner. Pause, lift the weight, lock out, and repeat. I usually don't start from the ground, but I might start trying it that way. I feel that at 6'5" I can do it more comfortably/safely starting at rack height. Mark

nathanw21 is offline Member
    i am also 6'2 and i found that if you lay a couple of plates on top of each other on both sides of the bar. and use sumo-style you still incorperate your legs in the excercise without hurting your knees.

Sounds good guys. Thanks

Thread Information