IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

to legpress or not to leg press

what do you think would be a better routine?

squat 3 sets
    leg press 2 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    or
    squat 3 sets
    leg ext 2 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    opinions please

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Squats n leg press are basically the same motion but you can do hella more wieght w/ press. I do one of them one week and the other the next. I do that with exercises for shoulders, chest, and arms too.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04

squat 3 sets
    leg press 2 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    or
    squat 3 sets
    leg ext 2 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    opinions please
    Best is squat 6 sets (20,12,12,12,10,10)
    Leg extensions one leg at a time 4 sets (10,10,10, 10), then two drop sets
    Leg curls- 6 sets (12, 12, 10, 10), then two drop sets

If you have energy, do let presses.

Legs take a LOT of work to make grow. You really got beat the sh*t out of them and EIGHT sets ain't going to cut it.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Leg press is great escpecially if you have some type of injury that makes squatting hard. Many bodybuilders now use the press as they have nagging injuries but they originally got mass from the squat.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member

squat 3 sets
    leg press 2 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    This one. More compound movements.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Do all three... for quads
    and two excersises for hams.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Best is squat 6 sets (20,12,12,12,10,10)
    Leg extensions one leg at a time 4 sets (10,10,10, 10), then two drop sets
    Leg curls- 6 sets (12, 12, 10, 10), then two drop sets

If you have energy, do let presses.

Legs take a LOT of work to make grow. You really got beat the sh*t out of them and EIGHT sets ain't going to cut it.
    i literally cant do more than 3 sets of squat. i cant see how anyone can. if you go to ABSOLUTE FAILURE on squats, trust me, 6 sets might kill you. i cant walk right after 1 set of squats. the last 2 sets are all will power and mind over muscle. my last 2 sets hurt in a way you cant understand if you do 6 sets. If you use, it might be a different story, but i am natty.

brian11 is offline Member

squat 3 sets
    leg press 2 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    or
    squat 3 sets
    leg ext 2 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    opinions please
    I would say to throw in lunges.

squats, leg presses, lunges...and if you want to do the other stuff then go ahead, but exts and curls are more for shaping

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    i literally cant do more than 3 sets of squat. i cant see how anyone can. if you go to ABSOLUTE FAILURE on squats, trust me, 6 sets might kill you. i cant walk right after 1 set of squats. the last 2 sets are all will power and mind over muscle. my last 2 sets hurt in a way you cant understand if you do 6 sets. If you use, it might be a different story, but i am natty.

is this joke?

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs

is this joke?
    must be because im laughing, but seriously i know that sometimes you might feel like a pussy and sometimes you don't almonds joy have nuts, but you don't. puahahahaha

jj

ok, how many of you on your first set, squat until you absolutely cant get one more rep, have someone give you 2 (barely helping) forced reps followed by 2 15 s rest pauses. or go until you cant squat anymore and go on to do 6-8 more rest pause reps?????

I do.

First set is usually a warmup faluire 40 reps set with 225. ... if that doesnt warm you up...

And the following set is faluire... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next.... and the next.. and the last.

THen... on to leg press. 4 quick faluire/drop sets... and then onto a finish 4 set leg extension with upsets.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    ok, how many of you on your first set, squat until you absolutely cant get one more rep, have someone give you 2 (barely helping) forced reps followed by 2 15 s rest pauses. or go until you cant squat anymore and go on to do 6-8 more rest pause reps?????
    Why would you want to?? I mean, you can yes, but it's not the only way to do legs.

You can do this, or a plethora of other things/methods. The above HIT approach does not work for most, not with legs anyhow. I don't believe in a crazy amount of volume, no, but the rest/pause HIT with squats usually leads to bad backs, sore knees, and more trouble than it's worth.

Try everything until you find your niche, that's the key for everyone.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-09-2004 at 10:46 PM.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    I do.

First set is usually a warmup faluire 40 reps set with 225. ... if that doesnt warm you up...

And the following set is faluire... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next.... and the next.. and the last.

THen... on to leg press. 4 quick faluire/drop sets... and then onto a finish 4 set leg extension with upsets.
    Wow no wonder my legs look like arms and yours look like well...Man Legs

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Why would you want to?? I mean, you can yes, but it's not the only way to do legs.

You can do this, or a plethora of other things/methods. The above HIT approach does not work for most, not with legs anyhow. I don't believe in a crazy amount of volume, no, but the rest/pause HIT with squats usually leads to bad backs, sore knees, and more trouble than it's worth.

Try everything until you find your niche, that's the key for everyone.

~SC~
    what is your leg routine? legs are by far my weak spot so i can use all of the educated help i can get!!!

Im gonna guess.. just like mine, SC's leg routine is different everytime he hits the gym.

Im gonna guess.. just like mine, SC's leg routine is different everytime he hits the gym.
    well then lets hear it...

give me routines over a months time. seriously, every part of my body has seen massive changes except legs. i have bad lower back so for the next several weeks squats are gonna be light and on the smith machine, but i would seriously appreciate some advice. EDUCATED ADVICE. or at least advice that has seriously worked.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    well then lets hear it...

give me routines over a months time. seriously, every part of my body has seen massive changes except legs. i have bad lower back so for the next several weeks squats are gonna be light and on the smith machine, but i would seriously appreciate some advice. EDUCATED ADVICE. or at least advice that has seriously worked.
    Swole posted his workout. Do a quick search and you will find his workout. I know BOL posted his leg shocker workout also online. You can search for it and find it also. I have seen both in the last month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    Swole posted his workout. Do a quick search and you will find his workout. I know BOL posted his leg shocker workout also online. You can search for it and find it also. I have seen both in the last month or so.
    Leg shockers... put that in the search bar.

And in order for a leg routine to work for you... it has to be special taylored.Like SC said everyone is different. If your legs are laggin behind.. most of the time its lack of intensity/effort.

put them in the beginning of the week. And MORE SETS!!! the 6-8 Total that you posted... wouldnt pass for a newbie training routine. Im willing to bet you do more on bi/tri routines... why should a quad/ham be any less?

And in order for a leg routine to work for you... it has to be special taylored.Like SC said everyone is different. If your legs are laggin behind.. most of the time its lack of intensity/effort.

put them in the beginning of the week. And MORE SETS!!! the 6-8 Total that you posted... wouldnt pass for a newbie training routine.
    My legs are not up to your par, but are one of my stong points.

Time and intensity... that is the answer in the nutshell.

Legs can take a LOT of beating. Mine can take a hell of lot more than three sets to failure. ABSOLUTE FAILURE lasts five- seven minutes for legs. I often finish killing my legs on the Hack so that my partner can safely spot since he is all shakey too by this point.

My actual workout is much more intense than what I posted/suggested here.

My key point has been echoed here over and over... 6-8 sets AIN'T enough.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    My legs are not up to your par, but are one of my stong points.

Time and intensity... that is the answer in the nutshell.

Legs can take a LOT of beating. Mine can take a hell of lot more than three sets to failure. ABSOLUTE FAILURE lasts five- seven minutes for legs. I often finish killing my legs on the Hack so that my partner can safely spot since he is all shakey too by this point.

My actual workout is much more intense than what I posted/suggested here.

My key point has been echoed here over and over... 6-8 sets AIN'T enough.
    i do 7 sets total every leg workout. 3 squats, 2 leg xt's, 2 leg curls, and you know what??? i have a hard time walking out of the gym and when i come back the next week...... I am stronger EVERY TIME.

I do.

ok, on a given day, please list the weight you use for all 6 sets.

225-40reps
    275-30reps
    315-20reps
    365-15reps
    405-12reps
    505-8reps
    585-6reps
    625-4reps
    700-2reps
    700-2reps

Those are the 10 sets i listed above for squats.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    225-40reps
    275-30reps
    315-20reps
    365-15reps
    405-12reps
    505-8reps
    585-6reps
    625-4reps
    700-2reps
    700-2reps

What a shame you cant get a time machine and go back to the 80's to train with the golden eagle. Who would make who squeal like a girl Platz could squat 505 for 20+. Considering you are also natty i would say you are a total freak of nature. Even if i considerably dropped the weight, my legs would simply fall off if i tried your routein
    By teh way whay are your rest periods like? 1 min? 2 mins?

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    By teh way whay are your rest periods like? 1 min? 2 mins?
    ABSOLUTELY no way when he gets up in the 500 range for reps. Id put money on it, big ol legs is restin for at least 5 minutes before second last... to catch his breath... thats heavy man.

thats some good lifts tho big ol legs ... I must say!!...

120 seconds when i get heavier in the weight. I try not to take more than 60 seconds on the first 3 warmup sets.

I WOULD LOVE TO TRAIN WITH PLATZ. I watched his training video with costa.. i was a little dissapointed. But the video i saw of him repping 505 for 20... man, i feel in love..

225-40reps
    275-30reps
    315-20reps
    365-15reps
    405-12reps
    505-8reps
    585-6reps
    625-4reps
    700-2reps
    700-2reps

their is no way in hell that i could ever perform the same set twice in a row like you do with 700. Obviously you may be able to do somthing like 715-725 for one set of 2 instead of doing 700 for 2 for 2 sets. when i squat this is what i do
    350 for 12
    330 for 8
    310 for 8
    350 is my all out balls to the wall screaming at the top of my lung and blowing it out max set. by the time i am getting under 330, my legs are very wobbely. and if can rack the bar, that means i AINT done. this is how i train. i can easily (not so easily) do 6 sets they way you pyramid up with our weight selection in proportion.

225-40reps
    275-30reps
    315-20reps
    365-15reps
    405-12reps
    505-8reps
    585-6reps
    625-4reps
    700-2reps
    700-2reps

you squat 700 at the end of your workout? **** you really do have some big ol legs. how much do you think you can get 1 rep

I believe the last time i maxed out I got up 725. And that was at 210 lbs. I didnt max out when doing those reps at 261 lbs. When I work legs... i work for endurance, thats how my legs grow.

When you pyramid weight ironreload04 .. the weight should go UP with the reps dropping. I think you need to incorperate more supersets and drop sets in order to achive this.

their is no way in hell that i could ever perform the same set twice in a row like you do with 700. Obviously you may be able to do somthing like 715-725 for one set of 2 instead of doing 700 for 2 for 2 sets. when i squat this is what i do
    350 for 12
    330 for 8
    310 for 8
    350 is my all out balls to the wall screaming at the top of my lung and blowing it out max set. by the time i am getting under 330, my legs are very wobbely. and if can rack the bar, that means i AINT done. this is how i train. i can easily (not so easily) do 6 sets they way you pyramid up with our weight selection in proportion.
    My six squat set are more in your weight group. (I work in kgs, so the numbers are funny in pounds.)

20 x 220
    12 x 264
    10 x 286
    10 x 308
    10 x 352
    10 x 352

This is the first of five exercises on leg day. Try it. I looks like we are in about the same strength category, but during my work out I lift over twice the weight you do (20, 545 lbs vs. 9,320 lbs.)

I rest the amount of time it takes my partner to do the next set, plus the time it takes to put the weight on. I get thirty sets in an hours, so believe me my intensity is up there.

Work is a function of weight moved over time. Believe me you will also be very wobbly on the last three-four on both of your last sets at 352 amd have also done TWICE the work.

I believe the last time i maxed out I got up 725. And that was at 210 lbs. I didnt max out when doing those reps at 261 lbs. When I work legs... i work for endurance, thats how my legs grow.

When you pyramid weight ironreload04 .. the weight should go UP with the reps dropping. I think you need to incorperate more supersets and drop sets in order to achive this.

good advice but why change a good thing, every week or 2, i can increase the weight and still get the 12 8 8 range.

Znack, we both like training different ways. the fact that i get stronger every week or 2 proves that you can get mad progression and not do as much work. on the other hand, if you are progressing, then that proves that legs can take a beating and still progress.

one way is not better than the other. the best way is to use both.
    maybe i will consider doing the high volume every other week and my downward lower volume pyramid every other week

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    I just started doing hack squats as my main leg builder. I can rep 425 for 20 with wraps, no belt, and my quads are barely 26". I just have great leverage and tie-ins for leg power. I just can't find the right mix for size. We'll see after a month or two. My point is you need to find what works for you. Just because it works for swole or big 'ol it may not work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    I just started doing hack squats as my main leg builder. I can rep 425 for 20 with wraps, no belt, and my quads are barely 26". I just have great leverage and tie-ins for leg power. I just can't find the right mix for size. We'll see after a month or two. My point is you need to find what works for you. Just because it works for swole or big 'ol it may not work for you.

How deep are you going? Full range of motion builds mass. When I do hacks, I put a lifting box under my butt and squat down to it. The box makes me go about 10-20 degrees below parallel. I do the same with squats, but use a bench with the legs screwed all the way in.

If your legs are only 26", you are probably not squatting deep enough when you have 425 on the machine.

While I agree that everyone has to find what works for them-- using the heaviest weight that you can do with a full range of motion is a constant in BB.

Nice thing about hack is that you can work to failure safely, bad thing is that you do not use all of the supporting muscle groups that you use when squatting.

Thread Information