hobzee is offline New Member

can you guys explain plateau training

guys i have been lifting weights for 6 years i have always gone as heavy as i could till failure 15 sets per workout most of the time in the 6 to 10 rep range . i train like this if i am on or off the gear. do i need to back off a while? how long? and how much?. will be very interested in your comments. thanks

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hobzee
    guys i have been lifting weights for 6 years i have always gone as heavy as i could till failure 15 sets per workout most of the time in the 6 to 10 rep range.
    = This is the definition of plateau.

You need to transition into a different style of training. Adaptation has occurred a long long time ago, your body demands a new/different stimilus to adapt too. You must provide it!!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    No noticeable gains in size,strength you are peaked for your current conditioning and staying the same. Your CNS needs a turn around which can be done in many ways such as new exercises, weights,routine ect..May be caused by overtraining or depression too. Like Hyper said you have adapted and your body knows it.

S R H is offline Associate Member
    so how do you shock it?? .... please elaborate in the best of detail heh

-im being serious... i wana hear some good way to get out of a plateau... Thx guys

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Supersetting, changing routine (every muscle once EW instead of twice EW), faster/slower reps, less time inbetween sets, super high reps, super low reps, heavy negatives, etc.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    To elabotate about this would require many answers but in a nutshell just take A&F reply..

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Traininf palateas are inevitable to an extent but there are ways to imimize them. First of all, you could be having a training plateu for 3 reasons.
    A. Your muscles might be overtrained. Overtraining can have an accumulative effect over time. First gains might slow down, then they might slow down even more, and then they may stop altogether. Overtraining is when the damage that is done exceeds the ability to recover. Therefore, many guys take 2 week layofs periodically to allow totall recovery and often come back stronger. Some need up to 2 months of a layoff depending on the degree of overtraining.
    B. The second reason for a plateu is the neuromuscluar system being to overloaded. Some say the neuromuscular system stops responding to heavy training and shuts down after as little as 6 weeks when reps are 6 or less. So, a 2-3 weeks period of lighter weight is recomended to give the nueromuscular system time to recouperate from being overstimulated.
    C. reason three like a couple other guys have said is that the training stress may not be sufficiant to stimualte growth. Perhaps a change in the excersises would be good. Substituting flat bench with incline bench, or flyes with pec dec, or shoulder presses with lateral raises, squats with leg presses, etc.
    Or another method of intensity may need to be employed such at the end of sets. If you ave been doing forced reps for awhile, maybe it's time to switch to heavy negatives, partial reps, or static holds etc.

If you noticed a stop in progress, i would suggest a 2-4 week layoff. Then i would change intensity measures at the end of my sets. Then i would look at my diet make sure i'm eating enough to support my current size and then some.
    Maybe youe need more protien. Maybe you need more carbs. Maybe you need both.
    Platues are a challenge, but they can be surpassed. Just look at the factors.
    Last edited by AnabolicBoy1981; 09-11-2004 at 10:52 AM.

S R H is offline Associate Member
    Great read anaboy thx man... im gonna try and get outta this. Been at the same weight for weeks.

hobzee is offline New Member
    thanks guys i now have a plan im going to work around 15 reps for a few weeks for cns then do forced reps for 2 weeks[ never done those] then negatives for 2 weeks to[ never done those either] then i will go back to what i have been doing for six years and see if i have made any progress thanks for all your input guys maybe i will let you guys know how i got on.

Thread Information