chevy44 is offline Member

good replacement for good mornings

i cant seem to get the technique down can anyone suggest a good replacement lift for goodmornings?

Try lowering the weight until you get it right, don't trash an exercise because you can't get it right. Also, try the lower back extension thing holding a plate on your chest (where you lock in your feet and bend foward at the waiste) or find a lower back extension machine (where you sit down, lock in your feet, and lean back)

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Yup you cannot use 250lbs performing good mornings with good form unless you wish to see a doctor. They are pretty easy if you use lighter weight. Otherwise, like Big Pop said hyper extentions are good..

ripped525 is offline Junior Member
    I would say add deadlifts, they are amazing in gaining strength

Merlin_TM is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Yup you cannot use 250lbs performing good mornings with good form unless you wish to see a doctor.
    This is a blanket statement and just simply isn't true.

And there is no substitute for GMs. Just keep practicing your form.

Merlin ,okay then you do good mornings with 250+lbs with correct form tell me how you feel. The question pertained about form therfore you must drop the weight. Its not a blanket statement but is in fact a true statement with that particular type of exercise. You CANNOT be true to form with excessive poundages on a lower back exercise. And you are also mistaken about a substitute for good mornings. Im not saying goodmornings are not effective either.. "Just keep practice your form" as you stated now that is a blanket statement bro. NO Flame intended...

brian11 is offline Member
    wtf are good mornings? Ive got a messed up lower back so i probably wont be able to do them anyway. Is it when you keep your legs stiff, your back straight, and bend over at the waist?

Here's a 295 GM, good form. Just one that I found quickly.

Well that is 295lbs( assumming those are 35lb plates on the end but to me look 25lb) but most unexperience folks do not have the chains . And form well IMO your legs are way to far apart And your head is looking down but heck if it works for you good luck but as you get older you may think twice.. And is that you??
    Last edited by bluethunder; 09-12-2004 at 09:53 AM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    They look like 25's to me but they are probably using a 55-lb bar and the collars probably weigh 2.5 lbs and then who knows what resistence the chains add. What your seeing is not a conventional good morning, it's likely been adapted to adress this fellow's weakness in a particular PL lift (probably the squat). And your head should be in alignment with the spine, which this guy's is. Also, this guys is probably a world class lifter and approching 300lbs, so that gives everyone some context.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Well that is 295lbs( assumming those are 35lb plates on the end but to me look 25lb) but most unexperience folks do not have the chains . And form well IMO your legs are way to far apart And your head is looking down but heck if it works for you good luck but as you get older you may think twice.. And is that you??

I think myself & chica are in agreement here it is true a picture says a thousand words...my last reponse

I'm not trying to start a huge debate over something so trivial, I just wanted to point out that GMs with decent weight isn't impossible or unattainable, and you don't have to sacrifice form. You're right about the wide stance in the first pic, powerlifters generally adapt exercises based on weaknesses and needs....and world class lifter? No, I'm sure many powerlifters on this board are capable of the same thing.

Here's another pic, same gym, different guy, closer stance.

Last edited by Merlin_TM; 09-12-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    They look like 25's to me but they are probably using a 55-lb bar and the collars probably weigh 2.5 lbs and then who knows what resistence the chains add.
    That's a SS bar. 65lbs.

The second picture is a buffalo bar.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Ahhh, d*mmit the pics are gone now.......that's interesting tho Merlin I didn't know they had 65-lb bars, ya learn something new everyday.

Actually, in the back of my head it seems that many PL's and football players do good mornings and it's fairly common for people to use up to 2/3 of their max squat so it's realtively easy for a big squatter to work up to some big weight on good mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_TM
    I'm not trying to start a huge debate over something so trivial, I just wanted to point out that GMs with decent weight isn't impossible or unattainable, and you don't have to sacrifice form. You're right about the wide stance in the first pic, powerlifters generally adapt exercises based on weaknesses and needs....and world class lifter? No, I'm sure many powerlifters on this board are capable of the same thing.
    Last edited by chicamahomico; 09-12-2004 at 03:33 PM.

I put the picture back of the buffalo bar and closer stance.

I've actually seen someone do over 400lb GMs with good form.

And the 65lb SS bar - if you have access to one, I encourage you to take advantage of it. They are nice.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_TM

Here's another pic, same gym, different guy, closer stance.

What exactly is he working out here? Looks like he is trashing his neck...

No doubt he is stong like bull, but I honestly don't get it.

This is nothing like the good mornings I do look like (legs much straighter, back much lower and much less weight.)

There is no way on God's green Earth that I could do 2/3 of my max squat (440 x 2/3 = 293 lbs).

This has got to be a football thiing.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    This has got to be a football thiing.
    It's a powerlifting thing.

And the form may look somewhat odd because that is with a buffalo bar, which is curved.

Thread Information