Jeff2004 is offline New Member

Neck Injury not healing....help!!

about 6 months ago i was doing shrugs and i pulled something in my trap on my right side. the trap feels fine now, but my neck has been very sore and stiff for the last 4 months. my physical therpist said that my neck pain was in the same trap muscle that i strained, just higher up. i have very limited motion. ive pretty much stayed away from the gym during the last 6 months.

ive had x-rays, and physical therpy (including A.R.T.), and im no better off. heat pads seem to help a little. my physical therpist said she thinks im not getting better because my poor posture creates additional strain on my neck and im not giving the neck time to heal. that makes sense, however, the pain is usually much worse in the mornings after ive been resting my neck and where my posture would not affect it. so that makes me question her diagnosis.

i have two questions:

1. has anyone had such a problem? or any ideas why im not getting better?

2. should i completely stay away from the gym?

thanks for any and all suggestions.

Quake is offline Member
    Try TENS machine treatment (Run a search for "TENS" on google) I was suffering with muscle strain in my lower back, muscle stifness and tension being one of the symptoms, and found this to be very effective. I am not a physio so can give you no more advice, other than to see a physio and listen to what they have to say.

Hope you heal quickly!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I would try working lower back & abs for some strength as they will help for posture. Also I would seek a second opinion too. 6 months seems a bit too long for the therapist to not be sure..

any other thoughts? im still having this problem

One side of your neck may be weak & the other side stronger due to the injury. lower back & ab exercises may help posture. Other than that you should concentrate on trap/ rear delt exercises to strengthen the neck. Do shrugs & upright rows & a rear delt machine. I would also do some towel neck exercises or with a head belt & weight. Normally, I do not advise using this due to potential risk of injury. Make sure you lift light & many sets instead of heavy/low rep scheme. Finally,I would seek a good chiropractor see if your spine is in alignment. They can help tremendously and I personally speak from experience and have one now. Good luck

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    WHen you sleep how many pillows do you rest your head on? Do you sleep on your back? Has the doctor, I take it that you have seen a doctor, prescribed any muscle relaxers?

My thought is, and I had neck surgery last year, sleep flat on your back without a pillow and take a muscle relaxer prior to sleep. You need to get the muscles in a total nutral position as well as allow the muscle relaxer to get the muscles to lossen up. Until you get he muscles to relax they will not heal.

i sleep on my side with 1 pillow. i havent been given any muscle relaxers as of yet. i have an appt with a new doc on friday. i can ask her about it.

Blue. are you sayings its safe to workout now? ive been saying off for awhile. ive gone very sparingly in the last couple of months. mostly i do arms or chest, and i have been avoiding shoulders/back because i felt it may put too much pressure on my trap muscles.

After 6 months I would say yes you can workout but you may wish to get a opinion from a dr. Most likely certain muscles atrophied and the syngestic (helping) muscles are stronger causing a imbalance. When you say to much pressure on your traps then maybe thats what you need? The key is not a sharp/aching dull pain feeling. Just workout slowly ,smarter maintain strict form .

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    MRI. An X-ray will not visualize soft tissue. 6 months is way too long not to heal unless you've been stressing it with lifting. You may need to take a month or two off.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2004
    i sleep on my side with 1 pillow. i havent been given any muscle relaxers as of yet. i have an appt with a new doc on friday. i can ask her about it.

Blue. are you sayings its safe to workout now? ive been saying off for awhile. ive gone very sparingly in the last couple of months. mostly i do arms or chest, and i have been avoiding shoulders/back because i felt it may put too much pressure on my trap muscles.
    That's a good idea...and when you do see the doc let us know what he/she found out and suggest you do about it......might help out another bro later on. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you big guy.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I would be wary of chiropractors in general, they have had a major dispute with the AMA for awhile. Some think chiro is a psuedoscience. Check up on it first, and ask a doctor what they think.

http://skepdic.com/chiro.html

True chiropractors years ago had that reputation as quacks and rightfully so. But , that is old school thought today. They have extensive training & skills. Mine is a professor at a nearby college. But the key is finding one that is good which only comes from word of mouth & trial experiences. Having back pain from my vertabra's is fixed 90% of the time I visit. Best to find one who works with bodybuilders/powerlifters.

Thread Information