UberSoldat is offline Junior Member

Most effective...

I was wondering what are most effective Biceps exercises.
    Also Could someone gime examples of your biceps workout .. I wanna see how different it is from mine If You dont mind.

Thanks a lot

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I always change it up but to give a example I warm up with perhaps light cable curls. Then I move to preacher using either ez or straight bar meduim weight. By this time I am warmed up and go to the barbell curl working my way up to curl 135lbs. My bi workout depends on how I feel that day. I also use incline db,db, hammers,spider curls and just about every exercise. But the bread & butter is the barbell curl adds overall thickness.

Merlin_TM is offline New Member
    Hands down: rope pulls. Curls are gay.

Every watch the strongman competitions when they'r pulling the car with a thick rope? That is without a doubt the best exercise for biceps, forearms, grip, upper back...

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Progressive overload + variation = Greatest gains

Curls are gay??? I am assumming your kidding.

Curls are elbow flexion, the biceps cannot be worked without elbow flexion. Rope pulls are basically elbow flexion (curls) in a different angle. Please make contributions to the board.

tdawg is offline Associate Member
    curls are necessary

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Curls are gay??? I am assumming your kidding.
    Yeah, yeah. Kidding. Not gay, just not the best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    curls are necessary
    Necessary for what?

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    The two best excercises for biceps are:

(1) dumbell curls (standing or seated): make sure you keep your elbows in line with your waist. Do not move your elbows up and forward, else you'll take the pressure off your arms. Do not lean too much to one side while curling. Do not use momentum to move the weights. Use slow, controlled motion for each rep.

(2) barbell preacher curls (using small curl bar--close and wide grip): this isolates the bicepts by forcing you to do very strict curls. Do not rest at the top of the motion. Keep stress on the biceps at the top of the motion--do not bring the bar all the way to your face else the last 1/4 of the motion will not be working the bicepts, it will only put undue stress on your elbows. Keep stress on the biceps at the bottom of the motion by not fully locking out your elbow. Tough exercise when done correctly--no rests between reps, keeping stress on the bicep the whole time.

NOTE: don't use a straight bar on preacher curls--it puts too much stress on the wrists. Use the curl bar--the one that's bent like a W.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 09-16-2004 at 03:59 PM.

Those are the two best exercises for biceps? Based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_TM
    Those are the two best exercises for biceps? Based on what?
    Quit being a smart ass. Based on my opinion.

Each person will have his own opinion on how to workout. But, in the end, it will be the person who is working out that must make the decision as to what works best for him/her.

The best exercises to put in your routine tend to be the very basic exercises that work the muscle directly without any bells and whistles or awkward movements to get in the way. For example, the following are a list of the exercises that are the basic building blocks of a well rounded body (note how many fluff exercises are left out):

Compound movements: Dead lift variations, squat, variations of bench presses, dips, pull-downs (triceps and back), pull-ups, pull-overs, variations of rows, overhead presses, side-bends
    Basic movements: Curls (bicep and wrist) and other variations, back extensions, crunch/sit-up variations, neck-work, pinch-grip work

This is not an exhaustive list, but it comes close to all the general basic and compound movements that need to be the base of a good bodybuilding routine.

Without curls, your bicepts are not going to grow as fast as they should, unless you're a "shoulder presser" who uses his arms too much during pressing and rowing exercises.

I know what compound movements are, and the rope pulls I recommended are included in that category. If you have at least one year training under your belt, then curls just aren't the best exercise for biceps.

There is no other way to work the biceps, other than to CURL!!!!!

I am not going to argue rope or curls but I am a bodybuilder not powerlifter and curls is what hits the bellies or inner/outer depending on grip. Sure you will find big guys that rope pull but along with that they also have a corresponding high fat %. So if thats your goal good for you bro.

I know what compound movements are, and the rope pulls I recommended are included in that category. If you have at least one year training under your belt, then curls just aren't the best exercise for biceps.
    A compound movement doesn't necessarily make it the best exercise. I had not in any way challenged your knowledge of the definition of compound movements, bro. Get a grip.

As I wote in my post: Whether an exercise is "the best" always comes down to what works best for the individual. For your biceps, the best exercise is the rope pull. For mine, curls.

You shared your opinion as have I. Don't be so quick to attack people. If you calm down a bit, you might realize that I wasn't challenging you. You're the one that stepped forward with the attitude. There's absolutely no need for that, and considering the rules here, unnecessary flaming and attitude is one of the quickest ways to be introduced to the exit.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 09-16-2004 at 03:54 PM.

UberSoldat is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot guys.
    BASK8KACE thanks for such a detailed answer Nice post.

Lucas

Sorry if my tone came across as attacking, as that wasn't my intention - only a small debate. My answers to questions are usually short and I know that makes some people think I'm being arrogant, but I'm just to the point.

Most people that recommend curls over thick rope pulls have never done work with ropes, at least not with any seriousness.

Hypertrophy, I really hope you weren't serious with your comment about the only way to work biceps is to curl.

Bluethunder, I think you misspoke, because your posts are usually smarter than that one. It seems you're implying that exercise selection has an impact on bf%, which we both know is absurd.
    Last edited by Merlin_TM; 09-16-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Sorry if my tone came across as attacking, as that wasn't my intention - only a small debate. My answers to questions are usually short and I know that makes some people think I'm being arrogant, but I'm just to the point.
    No harm done, Merlin.

It's no fun if you can't disagree. It's good to have a difference of opinion--it sparks debate.

BTW, welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    BTW, welcome to the board.
    Thanks. I've actually been here a while, lurking mostly.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    standing straight bar curls. x8 x8 x6
    single arm preacher 10 8 6
    hammers heavy weight to failure

Bro, no I was not saying that exercise selection affects b/f%. What I was implying was most likely the peolpe who do rope pulls are mostly big powerlifters vs. bodybuilders and if that's true, powerlifters do have more b/f% to assist in the 1RM lift. I also never said they (rope pulls) were not a good exercise to do... but we still agree to disagree about which is better to specifically target the bicep muscle. Peace out..

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I have always felt that heavy pulling (and pressing) compound exercises are the way to go for increasing arm size. Minimal direct bicep work, only dumbell or barbell curls and every so often throw in some preacher curls. Cables and other more exotic bicep exercises are less effective IMO but you should try as many variations as you can for several weeks and see how they work for you.

Yea, I was serious. The biceps cannot be worked without elbow flexion, unless isometrically. Therefore, during rope pulls, if it works your biceps, there must be elbow flexion involved in the movement. AKA: curls.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Yea, I was serious. The biceps cannot be worked without elbow flexion, unless isometrically. Therefore, during rope pulls, if it works your biceps, there must be elbow flexion involved in the movement. AKA: curls.
    Hypertrophy,

I wasn't going to bother saying that, but what you just wrote is true.

Although I don't agree that the rope pull is necessarily the "best" exercise, I do understand where the rope-pull camp is coming from on this point. I writen more than once in a few posts of mine (a while ago) that I rarely work my biceps because I WAS a "shoulder presser"--I used to use my shoulders and arms far more than I should have during pressing and pulling motions. So, my arms grew way too fast and my chest lagged behind. (FYI...the tell-tale characteristic of a "shoulder presser" is that s/he has big shoulders and biceps but a relatively small chest).

Once I corrected my pressing and rowing forms, my chest began to grow. But, I have had to add curls to keep my arms from shrinking.

Stuart McRober, author of Beyond Brawn--Insider's Encyclopedia on How to Build Muscle & Might, writes that the biceps should grow enough through your other compound exercises that you don't need to add specific exercises for biceps or triceps. However, he goes on to say, that should your arms need additional growth, then use curls.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I have always felt that heavy pulling (and pressing) compound exercises are the way to go for increasing arm size. Minimal direct bicep work, only dumbell or barbell curls and every so often throw in some preacher curls. Cables and other more exotic bicep exercises are less effective IMO but you should try as many variations as you can for several weeks and see how they work for you.
    At least someone sees things my way.

Hypertrophy, that's good backpedaling there, but nobody reading your first statement assumed that you were assuming rope pulls were the same as curls.

My first post #4 is the best thing for biceps. Then post #6, I correlate rope pulls with curls. Then I reiterate in post # 14. Then I proved my point in post #24. I am not against rope pulls, just stating facts.
    I would be interested in trying rope pulls due to a different stimulus. How would I perform them in a traditional gym?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    How would I perform them in a traditional gym?
    Thanks
    This is the biggest problem and probably the reason most people haven't tried it and/or won't try it. If you have something to hang the rope from, you can try climbing up and down that, but to get even more basic, you could put two of the rope attachments on a cable row, wrap a towel around each to increase thickness, and pull individually. Never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

JoeCoffee is offline New Member
    Not doing curls is gay

GQSuperman is offline Banned

backpeddling

merlin=backpeddling

stating curls are gay......then covering up and saying you weren't meaning to be arrogant or hostile......who's backpeddling? fact is, i would say 95% of people don't have the time, space or equipment needed to tie a f'ing rope to a car bumper and pull it around a **** parking lot to work their biceps. stick the gym and curls. none of us are going on espn for strong man anytime soon.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Hands down: rope pulls. Curls are gay.

Every watch the strongman competitions when they'r pulling the car with a thick rope? That is without a doubt the best exercise for biceps, forearms, grip, upper back...

i do believe you are wrong 100%

What is your lifting experience Merlin????

This is the biggest problem and probably the reason most people haven't tried it and/or won't try it. If you have something to hang the rope from, you can try climbing up and down that, but to get even more basic, you could put two of the rope attachments on a cable row, wrap a towel around each to increase thickness, and pull individually. Never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

are you serious!?!?!??!?!?!

Saleensrule is offline New Member
    Can anyone suggest a good bi workout for me I have ok bicep size but not enough shape to make them look good. Also because of wrist problems any type of curling exercise puts tremendous stress on my forearms and they give out before my bis do anybody else have this problem or know how to over come it

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    My bi's are always dead after doing this exercise. I stand with a barbel and use 135 which is what I can hardly manage to curl and still have form. I go normal speed on the way up, but on the downward motion I go real slow, like 6 seconds of slowly lowering. I usually do this until failure which is 6-8 reps for 3 sets.

Barbell Curls 4 sets of 8 when I can complete that I do 4x12 then 4x15.
    Then I start over at 4x8 heavier etc,....

Then I throw in Dumbell curls/Hammer Curls/Preacher Curls as the mood fits. Same progression.

Now this works for ME. Which I believe was what the thread started as. I like the base movement with whatever I am in the mood for to keep me fresh.

Yes I have been lifting for a little more than a few months as well...........

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    Was doing close grip pullups last night. I used the two handle grip you use on the seated row machine tossed it over the pullup bar and did chin ups till i couldnt do normal pullups.

Did them like you do on the seated row machine where both hands almost touch the center of your chest each time pushing my head to each side of the bar every lift. Its mostly a back workout but you foreamrs and bis get a workout also.

Normal curls im down to 9+ sets from 10s till i can only do 8 or 6 seated on the cables but i dothem all in a short time though.

viking_warrior_2k is offline Junior Member
    An older cat showed me this exercise once, and i've never seen anyone else do it this way. That's not saying that other guys haven't done it this way, since I live in B.F.E. But this worked great for me.

Take a flat bench and lay it under a cable machine. Take a short straight bar, attatch it to the cable, and position it at just beyond arms reach as you are laying down on the flat bench with your feet facing away from the the cable machine.
    Basically, you will lying down, pulling (curling) down the short straight bar until it reaches your nose (practically) and you hold it there for a moment, then slowly retract.

This is by far the best exercise I've ever used to get my biceps to "peak". This is one of the best exercises to keep a constant tension and resistance on your biceps. It's similar to using a cable machine with a preacher curl bench, but this is more effective because the angle causes more constant resistance.

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viking_warrior_2k
    An older cat showed me this exercise once, and i've never seen anyone else do it this way. That's not saying that other guys haven't done it this way, since I live in B.F.E. But this worked great for me.

Take a flat bench and lay it under a cable machine. Take a short straight bar, attatch it to the cable, and position it at just beyond arms reach as you are laying down on the flat bench with your feet facing away from the the cable machine.
    Basically, you will lying down, pulling (curling) down the short straight bar until it reaches your nose (practically) and you hold it there for a moment, then slowly retract.

This is by far the best exercise I've ever used to get my biceps to "peak". This is one of the best exercises to keep a constant tension and resistance on your biceps. It's similar to using a cable machine with a preacher curl bench, but this is more effective because the angle causes more constant resistance.

Markus Ruhl does those in his video... they can be pretty rough with enough weight...

abbas is offline New Member

IronWarrior

1. Barbell curl
    2. Incline dumbbell curls
    3. Preacher curls
    4. Hammer curls
    5. Reverse cable curls

I do maximum of 6 to 10sets of 10reps max for biceps- reason it’s a small muscle plus gets lots of stress when im doin my heavy rows and pull downs, so no point overtraining them…

Thread Information