darkopz is offline New Member

Safety without a spotter

A few years ago when I was training I would always train with a partner. In our last set we would always pick a weight we could _barely_ accomplish. Sometimes this would require some assistance with the last two reps. This appeared to help max gains as we were always pushing the limits of what we can do.

Now I don't have anyone in the gym with me. I fear that I am not able to do some of the excersises that would really help me make great gains. It's the fear of doing too much weight and getting stuck, especially on bars. I'm not so much worried about dumbbells as I can drop them in extreme cases.

Things I haven't done in a while are:

decline, incline, military press chest. I normally stick with flies and flat dumbell.

What is the safest way to do these excersises without risking injury while maximizing gains. I suppose I'm under the assumption (most likely wrong) that if I can't do heavy weight on my last set then I won't make decent gains.
    Last edited by darkopz; 09-16-2004 at 01:55 PM.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Well it's good you realize lifting heavy does require a knowledgeable spotter(not some who is in there for chicks & socializinglol). My best suggestion is something I frequently do and that is using the smith machine with the saftey catches(hooks) properly adjusted. This way if you loose it you will be safe.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    fuk it man. just do the weight and ask someone to spot ya. i lift alone and dont really like asking for a spot but its better than nuthin. i remember i was doin 225 and i couldnt lift it off my chest. i was alone and had to throw it off. hurt like hell.

I think I will just stick with the smith machines like blue suggested. No sense risking nijury to myself. I have a hard enough time packing on muscle, I can't afford to go a month+ without working out because I was reckless in the gym.

That being said I will start asking for spots on a max set just to see how much my bench and other areas have improved. I don't really trust the smith to tell me my max bench just because I dont have to use my stabalizing muscles as much.

Something interesting I've noticed:

I can do the least amount of weight on dumbells
    I can do middle of the road on flat bar bench
    I can do most on smith bench.

This appears to be related to how much of the stabalizing muscles that are needed. The dumbbells require the most so therefor I won't be able to focus all my energy on pushing straight up.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    The smith bar is also averages only 25lbs(cybex evan tho it says 15lbs) and yes less stabilizers are used in the lift but is still effective to lift heavier w/o a spotter.

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    just ask. it doesn't hurt to be friendly. you don't have to start cooking up stories and sharing your 10 years of experience, but acquainting yourself with others does help.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I just ask for a spot on the last set. Most people at the gym will help you. Watch out with those socializing chicks though. A friend of mine almost go hurt as the chick he asked walked off after a lift off. Got to his third rep and when he looked for her she was gone. Droped it to his chest and had to call for help. A guy ran to his aid and scolded him about not asking for a spot. He says he'll recognize her if he ever sees here again and bitch her out.

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a lifting partner and I ask someone for a spot on almost every set of bench presses, not just my max sets. I always want to squeeze out an extra rep or get a few assisted reps. Many other people in the gym have the same problem and are therefore willing to give a spot. Ask someone to spot you.

If this was any other gym I probably would. This gym is kind of wierd though. Everyone seems to keep to themselves except for a small group of guys that run the gym. Even those guys keep to themselves as a group and appear to have a 'I'm better than you' attitude. I've attempted to chat with them a few times unsuccessfully. This could just be my perception though. It's quite interesting...

sensaispike is offline Member
    some times i go and use the smith machine just because i dont want to lift with any one that day.... i also found that after useing the smith machine when i went back to flat and inclined bench i was able to do more reps at the same weight....which is cool because i had been stuck at the same weight for awile..... also if you have been going to this gym for any time there has to be atleast 1 or 2 pepole that you say hi to, so just ask them... talking about some hot chick that in there is a great ice breaker....

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    I lift alone and I rely on the smith press a lot for heavy presses.
    Quote Originally Posted by sensaispike
    some times i go and use the smith machine just because i dont want to lift with any one that day.... i also found that after useing the smith machine when i went back to flat and inclined bench i was able to do more reps at the same weight....which is cool because i had been stuck at the same weight for awile.....
    That's exactly what I've noticed too.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    A power cage with the safeties properly set and/or the bench at the right height (paperback books work good for getting an extra 3/4") is safer, IMHO. You set it so that for instance with flat bench the bar rests slightly on the chest if you reach failure and fold up. You can sort of exhale your chest smaller and extricate yourself. Some squat racks can be used this way, as well... the tiered ones. The lowest tier sometimes is just right for bench pressing. The middle one sometimes works for mil press.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron
    A power cage with the safeties properly set and/or the bench at the right height (paperback books work good for getting an extra 3/4") is safer, IMHO. You set it so that for instance with flat bench the bar rests slightly on the chest if you reach failure and fold up. You can sort of exhale your chest smaller and extricate yourself. Some squat racks can be used this way, as well... the tiered ones. The lowest tier sometimes is just right for bench pressing. The middle one sometimes works for mil press.
    I second that. The power rack has been my savior since I started workingout alone

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Well I'll tell you how to get a spotter every time. Or be banned from the gym!
    don't put any collars on and when you hit failure dump the weights on the floor one side at a time!

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    don't put any collars on and when you hit failure dump the weights on the floor one side at a time!

Dumbells. Can go heavy and still bail at failure .......As well as Power Rack and Smith.

beuleux is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Yeh thats what i do too, i didnt get banned but get weird looks from the wasters who are to **** lazy to spot me, fvck-em.

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    The answer to this question is a no brainer...If you don't have a training partner, just ask someone around you who's strong enough to spot you with the weight you're putting up. 9 out of 10 times, they won't hesitate to help.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    who is going to ask a chick to spot them while they're doing heavy bench press...or anything for that matter

haha, i could just picture a confused looking blonde chick wearing her aeropostale sweatshirt looking down at you with the weight pinned to your chest

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    just go upto someone and ask them for a spot. its a good way to meet people and show off. goodluck

Thread Information