wiz
    wiz is offline Junior Member

a little problem

I have been lifting for 2 years hard.. well today i come home and I am in very much a painful state. My stomach hurt soo bad, so i goto the doctor Only to find that I have an ambilical(spelling?) hernia. I have really good form and the person i lift with is a personal trainer of 7 years. How did this happen?

Anyway I have to take 2 weeks off from the gym to let it heal i guess. Will I lose much strength/weight?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Well you will most likely require surgery. Hernia's are the result of a weak adominal wall where part of one organ may go thru the wall. In your case it's Umbilical hernia which I believe is intestine goes into the abdominal wall. It's called umbilcal because its around your navel (belly button, remember when you were born they cut it?) And your abs are below. Most likely you had a weak wall there for awhile . I would expect to much weight was use & possibly some bad form as it's caused by excessive pressures. You may lose some afterv 2 weeks but should be okay just do not lift heavy for awhile and get a final check-up before you lift.. IMO

wiz
    My doc said i could wait it out and i should be fine, but i dont think it was my form.. possibly too much weight. Thanks though.. im jsut doing cardio for these two weeks to cut up a little

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I hate to call your doc a liar but he is. I just got the same thing four weeks ago and I'm goin in Fri for sugery. My doc was like quit lifting, I said no, he said go really light and wait and see if it gets worse, I said no I want it fixed now. It will not heal or get better and it will continue to cause you problems until you get it fixed. Time to get sliced and diced!

wiz
    Your probably right. i heard it is a miserable surgery and they put screens and patches in.. Im not too sure about it but... Hmmm. What do you think i should do?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Get a second opinion from another Doc.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz
    My doc said i could wait it out and i should be fine, but i dont think it was my form.. possibly too much weight. Thanks though.. im jsut doing cardio for these two weeks to cut up a little
    No one's form is perfect. If your max is 300 and you throw 305 on the bar, lets see what happens to your form. Form always has to be worked on.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    It's gonna hurt but it will never heal , I mean never. And if you have a major blowout you will come to know pain intimately. I'm gettin the screen in etc.. should heal up in 3 weeks to start light again. Beats weeks/months/years of b.s. and pain.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to diagnose a heria, no second opinion needed. Get it fixed asap and then start up again, there is no other reasonable alternative IMO>

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You are correct 1Victor as it will only happen again and could be worse...

dtr98 is offline Member
    have one for a cuople of years getting bigger now, gonna call doc tomorrow and get it checked out,, let me know how yours turns out

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    I had a major blow out many years ago. A direct result of not working out smart. I was in a hurry one day and left for the gym without my belt on leg day. When I realized I forgot my belt, I went ahead and squatted anyway... Without it.

I did not feel it give, but the next day, I had a huge bulge and knew exactly what I did. I saw two different docs, and got the same opinion from both. I got cut on a week later. The post-op recovery hurt like heck for a week, but I was able to start lifting again in a few weeks.

That was over ten years ago, and I have not had a problem since. I even lift heavier now, than I did back then. I just work out smarter.

dtr98 is offline Member
    i just got back from the doc, i have an Inguinal hernia also to got with my Umbilical hernia.

Thread Information